E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does you're E90/E92/93 have a rattle......

04-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #67
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Is that the same bolt someone pictured earlier in the thread?
No. This thread has turned into a discussion of several different rattles: rattling cables in the engine compartment; rattles around the b-pillar and the one that started it, a speed dependent rattle (60mph and above) from around the a-pillar. The bolt relates to this last one.

I've got some Loctite 454 on order to try the BMW service solution on this -though I don't fully understand the PuMA instructions - what is a 'sliding element' for example?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #68
andyoxon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

creaking centre consol

I have a creaking centre consol think i may have found where the noise is comming from not sure of the best way to fix it have jammed a rag into the space seems to have fixed it but doesn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #69
Burned
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
Can you provide please..

A) dealer used
B) who you spoke to/who did the work
C) anything that can identify you.. I.e. blue e92 with cream leather

Then, I'll try and get my dealer to speak to them!!

Ty ;D
Sorry for the delay

A) Bluebell Wilmslow
B) Service Advisor was Paul, dont have the second name unfortunately.
C) Car is 07 330d M Sport on private plate, Sparkling graphite grey with coral red leather

The sound is yet to return. I was wondering if it might be due to the warm weather, but its cooled down a lot recently and it still hasnt returned! Very happy bunny
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #70
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Paid a visit to my local BMW dealer to discuss this. Very unhelpful. Contents of pUMA is apparently highly confidential and they'd more or less have to shoot me if they told me what it said about curing this rattle!

They did reveal that as well as the use of Loctite, it involves unbolting the wing and repositioning it before glueing it in place. Can't say I'm that enamoured with the suggested cure, as it means the plastic wing is no longer free to expand and contract. I think I might experiment with inserting a rubber sealing strip in the gap between the wing and body, adjacent to the door hinges...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #71
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

can't recall if i posted it earlier in the thread or not... i just got an indi to tighten up everything on that side of the car at the front and then replaced my wipers.

Seemed to do the trick for now
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #72
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
There is a service notice about rattle from b pillar..which being so close i guess could be thought to be passenger door.

apparently mark door catch bolt location, release nuya, move then reposition EXACTLY same location and re torque shut bolt catch.

Cannot remember where I read this but think was on the main forum tsb page and it is an official BMW .pdf

Chris
Found it:

TSB#: SI B51 30 05
Category: Body Equipment
August 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Cracking or Ticking Noise from the B-Pillar

MODEL
E90 (3 Series)

SITUATION
Cracking or ticking noise heard from the left and right B-pillar area while driving.

CAUSE
Door lock striker connection to the B-pillar (front left and front right doors).

PROCEDURE

1. Mark the position of the door lock striker.

2. Loosen the striker bolts.

3. Slightly move the striker away from then back to its original position.

4. Re-torque the striker bolts to 18.5 Nm.

Note: Do not change the position of the striker (mark the position before loosening the striker bolts).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

I'll be doing that tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #73
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Useful info CarAbuser. Can you get hold of the same details for the cure for the front wing rattle please?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #74
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Found it:

TSB#: SI B51 30 05
Category: Body Equipment
August 2005
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Cracking or Ticking Noise from the B-Pillar

MODEL
E90 (3 Series)

SITUATION
Cracking or ticking noise heard from the left and right B-pillar area while driving.

CAUSE
Door lock striker connection to the B-pillar (front left and front right doors).

PROCEDURE

1. Mark the position of the door lock striker.

2. Loosen the striker bolts.

3. Slightly move the striker away from then back to its original position.

4. Re-torque the striker bolts to 18.5 Nm.

Note: Do not change the position of the striker (mark the position before loosening the striker bolts).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

I'll be doing that tomorrow!
:-)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #75
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I just searched the thread in the technical area of the forum about technical service bulletins.

I actually found the cause of my rattle. It's the passenger seat headrest. There's loads of topics about it but no solution other than "move the headrest". The rattle goes when i apply light pressure to the headrest. I think the source is the metal clips inside but no amount of fudging will get it to stop!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #76
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just searched the thread in the technical area of the forum about technical service bulletins.

I actually found the cause of my rattle. It's the passenger seat headrest. There's loads of topics about it but no solution other than "move the headrest". The rattle goes when i apply light pressure to the headrest. I think the source is the metal clips inside but no amount of fudging will get it to stop!
I assume you must be talking about the so-called "B-pillar" rattle. The headrest can't possibly be causing the wing rattle as it is speed-related and only starts at 60 mph. Any luck with finding the content of the pUMA measure 86998-42-07?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #77
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
OK, now tried the recommended cure for the rattling wing 'flutter' noise (at 60 mph and above) and IT WORKS! Thank goodness. Bought a tube of Loctite 454 for a fiver on fleabay and applied it around the area of all three wing bolts accessible by opening the door.

The top bolt head faces you, while the other two bolts you only see the base of the bolt (the bolt is inserted from within the wheel arch). Between the bolts and the wing is a rectangular plastic fixing which allows the wing to move (you can inspect this fixing more easily if you look at the bolts that hold the top edge of the wing in place - open the bonnet). I spread the 454 around the bolts where they interface with this fixing and allowed to dry for 24 hours.

Mercifullly no more rattling nosie! Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

Last edited by Phil325i; 04-22-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #78
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is, X5 M50i & 981 GT4

Seems like people are getting answers to their noise issues here… hmmmmm
08’ 328
I’ve got two problems… and I’ve got OCD when it comes to cars. First, the driver’s window is making a noise that’s hard to explain. It sounds like the window is so tight into the seal, that when I go over bumps or I’m just driving through my parking garage and the body of the car flexes a bit, you hear the window rubbing against the seal. It’s not quiet either, it’s extremely annoying. I tried cleaning the rubber all the way around the window and that didn’t help (not that I expected it to). If I put the window down just a tad (tap the button) it’s not nearly as bad, but that’s a PITA and it’s a BMW, I shouldn’t have to do that.

The other problem is with the shocks… Now I’ve been told this is normal and maybe I’ve never noticed it, but (I hear things in my parking garage with the windows down) the shocks make a loud ‘air escaping ‘ noise. Going around corners or a small speed bump, it’s like a fttttttttttttttt, but it’s loud (to me). Is that normal?

Thanks for letting me vent, any help is appreciated. Glad to see that most of you are resolving your noise issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #79
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Shocks noise is normal. Window noise - try lubricating the window seals.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #80
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickanna View Post
The other problem is with the shocks… Now I’ve been told this is normal and maybe I’ve never noticed it, but (I hear things in my parking garage with the windows down) the shocks make a loud ‘air escaping ‘ noise. Going around corners or a small speed bump, it’s like a fttttttttttttttt, but it’s loud (to me). Is that normal?

PMSL Hahahahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #81
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is, X5 M50i & 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
PMSL Hahahahahahaha
PMSL?? ... I should probably know this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Shocks noise is normal. Window noise - try lubricating the window seals.
Thanks! Thought I was going crazy with the shocks...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #82
blumango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
My car developed a rattle on Saturday that seems to come and go randomly regardless of speed or temp or road surface. I'm pretty sure it is in the center console behind/around the air vents.
I have the same squeak I think. Mine squeaks whenever I tap my foot on the accelerator. I discovered that the plastic panel surrounding the rear air vents is extremely squeaky....any solutions please?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #83
blumango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i Coupe

Anyone? The squeak is driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #84
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
mine turns out be my passenger wiper blade!!

all sorted now, changed them due to something unrelated and the issue went away. mad.
Glad you finally found your rattle! nothing worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I too have this problem (speed related rattle, passenger side). I think I've worked out why the problem seems to come and go. It only occurs when driving into still air. If I'm on a busy M-way with lots of traffic causing air turbulence, the rattle stops. But as soon as I hit clear air, it returns.

I've also noticed that most people on this post are (I think) driving non-turbo cars. I've noticed the inner n/s wheel arch has three cut-outs in the wing, each about an inch square (presumably designed for mounting something that's not fitted to the 325i). These cut-outs aren't blanked off in any way and I wonder of the air swirl from the wheel arch into the engine bay is making the plastic wing vibration worse.

Just a thought...
I have this too, it sounds like the seatbelt butler but when applying pressure to headrest the rattle stops, I only get it when it's cold (never heard when hot right enough) and going over rough ground.
      07-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #85
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:

I had this on my car - when it was about 6 months old.
BMW acknowledged it but would not fix it. I had to resort to using insulated tape around the headrest pins and forcing the headrest down. Pathetic to have to do this on a 6 month old car. But it did fix the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #86
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
Glad you finally found your rattle! nothing worse
turns out it wasn't the bloody wiper blade.. the chuffing thing came back a week later.

me thinks coincidence
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #87
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
      12-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #88
SHEEDI