E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Considering a Viper Security System, Fortin?

01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Considering a Viper Security System, Fortin?

Hello all,

I have a 2011 335i and I am considering a Viper/DEI alarm for it. I could really care less about the alarm aspect of it, I would pretty much want it for convenience features; but the alarm would be an added benefit. I would like to have remote start.

I currently have a Viper 5901 installed on my S2000, and I really like it; so naturally, I would consider the 5901 or maybe the 5902 for the BMW.

I do not have comfort access.

I have a few questions:
  1. I have done a little research and read that I would need a DLPK. How does the DLPK compare to the Fortin EVO-ALL or the EVO-CAN? Also, Fortin's site lists the EVO-ALL and the EVO-CAN as compatible modules for the car. Is there a reason to go with one over the other?
  2. If using a DLPK or one of the Fortin modules, would you need to wire up any other wires that would not be connected via a CAN module (i.e. power, ground, ignition, etc.), or do all the alarm wires connect to the DLPK and then the DLPK to the car?
  3. When using the DLPK, is there a way to take advantage of the current convenience features of the car? I would like to keep the factory window roll-down option, but would like to add in rolling up the windows from the keyfob as well. Would I need to purchase a DEI 530t to make this work, or could this be controlled through the CAN module?
  4. Are there any immobilizer bypass units that do not require a key? I couldn't find any BMW products from iDataLink. I noticed that the Fortin EVO-CAN and the Fortin EVO-ALL require a key, but I also saw that Fortin offers an INT-BMW2. Could both modules be installed to work together?
  5. Could controlling the side mirrors from the remote be added as a feature without any additional modules?
  6. I'm not sure I care about the SmartStart feature, but I have thought about it. Any reason to either get it or not get it?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some questions, but this is all I can think of for now.

Also, if anyone that has had one installed could provide some advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Mark
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
poorboysjon
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Fortin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2011 335i and I am considering a Viper/DEI alarm for it. I could really care less about the alarm aspect of it, I would pretty much want it for convenience features; but the alarm would be an added benefit. I would like to have remote start.

I currently have a Viper 5901 installed on my S2000, and I really like it; so naturally, I would consider the 5901 or maybe the 5902 for the BMW.

I do not have comfort access.

I have a few questions:
  1. I have done a little research and read that I would need a DLPK. How does the DLPK compare to the Fortin EVO-ALL or the EVO-CAN? Also, Fortin's site lists the EVO-ALL and the EVO-CAN as compatible modules for the car. Is there a reason to go with one over the other?
  2. If using a DLPK or one of the Fortin modules, would you need to wire up any other wires that would not be connected via a CAN module (i.e. power, ground, ignition, etc.), or do all the alarm wires connect to the DLPK and then the DLPK to the car?
  3. When using the DLPK, is there a way to take advantage of the current convenience features of the car? I would like to keep the factory window roll-down option, but would like to add in rolling up the windows from the keyfob as well. Would I need to purchase a DEI 530t to make this work, or could this be controlled through the CAN module?
  4. Are there any immobilizer bypass units that do not require a key? I couldn't find any BMW products from iDataLink. I noticed that the Fortin EVO-CAN and the Fortin EVO-ALL require a key, but I also saw that Fortin offers an INT-BMW2. Could both modules be installed to work together?
  5. Could controlling the side mirrors from the remote be added as a feature without any additional modules?
  6. I'm not sure I care about the SmartStart feature, but I have thought about it. Any reason to either get it or not get it?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some questions, but this is all I can think of for now.

Also, if anyone that has had one installed could provide some advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Mark
Personally I use the Fortin INT BMW2, and an Evo Can. I find these work best. You have to hook up can wires, ground, power to the remote start, and split two brake wires. There are several connections to be make between the two bypass module and you do have to do a key wrap. For the wrap I use a 24 guage wire 10 times around the ignition and 10 around the key. The int bmw2 plugs into the back part of the push button. Make sure you wrap is tight and taped very well.

As for oem options if you call Fortin they will definitely know what will work and what doesn't.

If you haven't done this already and are a lil bit patient Titan is bringing out a touch screen remote stater. I have found their products to be very reliable, and have had a lower warranty rate using this product in my shop.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboysjon View Post
Personally I use the Fortin INT BMW2, and an Evo Can. I find these work best. You have to hook up can wires, ground, power to the remote start, and split two brake wires. There are several connections to be make between the two bypass module and you do have to do a key wrap. For the wrap I use a 24 guage wire 10 times around the ignition and 10 around the key. The int bmw2 plugs into the back part of the push button. Make sure you wrap is tight and taped very well.

As for oem options if you call Fortin they will definitely know what will work and what doesn't.

If you haven't done this already and are a lil bit patient Titan is bringing out a touch screen remote stater. I have found their products to be very reliable, and have had a lower warranty rate using this product in my shop.

Hope this helps
Thank you.

I haven't purchased anything yet, I'm doing some initial research. I'm in no rush, so I can definitely wait to see what Titan has on the horizon. Do you know an ETA for their touch screen remote start?
      01-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
poorboysjon
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
touch screen

Quote:
Thank you.

I haven't purchased anything yet, I'm doing some initial research. I'm in no rush, so I can definitely wait to see what Titan has on the horizon. Do you know an ETA for their touch screen remote start?

No word as of yet, but its close. I'll let you know when they give me a release date.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
benjimatt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

hey ive decided instead of heating seats im going to do remote start instead. I have installed multiple systems on different cars but never on a canbus setup. I have purchased evo-can and i plan on getting the Fortin INT BMW2 (cant find it at a cheap price) Does the whole not having to use your key work pretty well?? Im really liking this feature.

Right now im really questioning what alarm to get. I have always been a dei fan but they dont have a direct link to the fortin products.

so im thinking of zenesis ZN-502 or the compustar 2W9000. Solely because i think this will eliminate many wires. But I still want a good alarm.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
benjimatt
Private
Rep

I went ahead and just ordered the 50.7x clifford and the Can-bus. I have installed this before in other cars. Now im trying to find a cheap Fortin INT BMW2.

Any installation tips
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
benjimatt
Private
Rep

ok everything has been ordered. i was wondering if you guys think this looks close for wiring

Here is the correct way to wire this

http://postimage.org/image/8ladbvm5f/full/

http://www.picstation.net/show-image...ea31608fc4fd9e

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=Kn6V9bHpF2

Last edited by benjimatt; 02-15-2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: wrong wiring diagram
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep

Cool! You'll have to let me know how the install goes..

I'll try and take a closer look at the wiring diagram when I get home from work later today.
      01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The DEI BMW interface set IS the Fortin interface set with DEI serial-data support. I personally would get the Clifford 5902 since I think it's the best-looking remote, and then I would get the SmartStart smartphone module for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
The DEI BMW interface set IS the Fortin interface set with DEI serial-data support. I personally would get the Clifford 5902 since I think it's the best-looking remote, and then I would get the SmartStart smartphone module for it.
Ohh.. I didn't know that..

So for clarification sake:

Xpresskit DLPK = rebadged Fortin EVO-CAN
Xpresskit KIBMW = rebadged Fortin INT-BMW2

correct?

The KIBMW installation guide only notes that it is compatible up to 2010. I want to confirm BMW didn't change anything for 2011. I got burned buying a DEI 556HW not knowing that my year S2000 was not compatible with the module because Honda changed the immobilizer system in 2008.

I also have an extra DEI 530t, but I want to make sure there haven't been reported issues using this with a BMW. I wouldn't mind controlling the window roll down from the OEM keyfob since I have to carry it anyway. I would use the 530t to control window roll up.

I would also look into purchasing a 529t for the sunroof, barring no known issues.
Would I also be able to use something like the 529t to control the side mirrors from an aux channel?

I also haven't seen anywhere that someone was able to wire up the light in the rearview mirror to go with a DEI alarm. Is this possible?

I'm either looking into the Viper 5902 or the Clifford 590.2x. If I were to purchase one of these, would I be able to use the same remote to control the 5901 I have in my S2000?

I apologize for all the questions, but thank you for the help.
      01-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cool! You'll have to let me know how the install goes..

I'll try and take a closer look at the wiring diagram when I get home from work later today.
i still have to add stuff to the picture because basically the other evo can wires arent finished from the pic. I got off work and just wanted to post it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
wait hold on KIBMW and the INT-BMW1 are the same. They even have the same manual

the INT-BMW2 is not the same. This one allows you to not have to put the Key Fob in the ignition. :-) That the main reason why I got this one over the INT-BMW1/KIBMW

the viper 5901 and 5902 both use the same alarm brain. They are just different remotes. So later on if I want that remote ill just purchase it seperately.

Im really thinking of that smartstart module. it looks real nice. I just dont know if i want to shell out the extra cash right now......that would be nice to not have to carry 2 key fobs
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I've never installed an aftermarket alarm but I've wanted to install an aftermarket alarm ever since I found out my car had no alarm. It seems like alot of wires to tap into in the car or do these wires get connected to the KIBMW and DLPK? I don't get it and I've asked before but never got a straight answer. I pretty much put off the idea of an aftermarket alarm until I saw this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here is the list of functions you get from a DLPK plugged in with a BMWINT:

DL-Door Lock Control
DL-Door Unlock
DL-Driver Priority Unlock
DL-Trunk / Hatch Release
SS-Entry Monitoring ALL Door Pins
SS-Entry Monitoring Driver Door Pin
SS-Entry Monitoring Trunk/Hatch Pin

So you need constant power, ground, ignition, and the LED/receiver cable. No need for starter kill, your immobilizer handles that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity
Here is the list of functions you get from a DLPK plugged in with a BMWINT:

DL-Door Lock Control
DL-Door Unlock
DL-Driver Priority Unlock
DL-Trunk / Hatch Release
SS-Entry Monitoring ALL Door Pins
SS-Entry Monitoring Driver Door Pin
SS-Entry Monitoring Trunk/Hatch Pin

So you need constant power, ground, ignition, and the LED/receiver cable. No need for starter kill, your immobilizer handles that.
So are you saying almost all the connections are made to the DLPK and bmwint?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
So are you saying almost all the connections are made to the DLPK and bmwint?
From what I gather there are about 5-6 physical connections to the car

Constant Power.
Common ground.
Brake wire.
2 CAN wires.
Wire to Siren (not really to the car....)

It really looks like all of the work is really bench work unless you have D2D or Fortin Data Connections.

I have a better edited picture and this is the one I will end up using when the parts come in

http://postimage.org/image/8ladbvm5f/full/

http://www.picstation.net/show-image...ea31608fc4fd9e

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=Kn6V9bHpF2

Last edited by benjimatt; 02-15-2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: new correct wiring
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Is there a connector for the can wires so it is plug and play. Also vp said there's no need for the starter kill wire is that the wires that go to the brake. It seems simpler now still not sure if it's something I'd do myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a connector for the can wires so it is plug and play.

As I understand it the BMWINT is the plug and play part. The DLPK has the brains and the BMWINT has the PnP connector...

Quote:
Also vp said there's no need for the starter kill wire is that the wires that go to the brake.
What?????

There is no need for the starter kill wires. The brake wire is only needed for alarm/remote start or remote start-only installs. You said "car alarm" and so with a car alarm you do not need that wire.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity
Quote:
Is there a connector for the can wires so it is plug and play.

As I understand it the BMWINT is the plug and play part. The DLPK has the brains and the BMWINT has the PnP connector...

Quote:
Also vp said there's no need for the starter kill wire is that the wires that go to the brake.
What?????

There is no need for the starter kill wires. The brake wire is only needed for alarm/remote start or remote start-only installs. You said "car alarm" and so with a car alarm you do not need that wire.
Alright I see I guess I understood that wrong. Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
benjimatt
Private
Rep

So I have a couple of problems.

1 problem is I forgot there was a code alarm installed in the car before I got it. I looked under the dash and its connected with wires only so im debating if i want to completely take this out or just unplug it.

problem number 2 is that I get the evo-can today but I wont get the Clifford alarm until Tuesday :-( But i guess this gives me time to continue researching.

after talking to a couple people it seems that We can connect the power to the constant 12v line. and send the ground to some metal. and there are two brake wires that we cut and redirect.

Im confused about the CAN wires from the evo-can/dlpk though......Are these piggybacked or not. Will i need to splice into these cables?? Im really hoping not..... and the instructions say is "Twisted pair under glove compartment at BCM" It doesnt have scissors next to it or anything.

Either way im going to do a full write up on this. in theory it looks like a pretty simple install
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
after talking to a couple people it seems that We can connect the power to the constant 12v line. and send the ground to some metal.
Thanks for the tip?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip?
that wasnt really to you it was to the OP. im sure you already know what your doing lol.

BTW i guess the CAN wires actually have to be tapped. i was hoping there was some kind of piggy back system but i guess not :-( oh well.

so tap CAN wires, find a positive wire, find a ground point, and cut break wires. Doesnt seem too hard
Appreciate 0