E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Methanol Injection pro's and con's



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #23
idnan
Major
 
idnan's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

Posts: 1,472
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Hey mate, had a passenger ride in Phil's car yesterday

Will now look for a meth kit as well although I may have to lose the dump valve?
Meth injection is the sh!t. I've been meaning to refit mine for weeks but have been arsing around with other stuff. I can really feel the heat soak on warmer days even with my massive FMIC. With meth and a smaller FMIC I never had that problem.

I know some people run meth with BOVs but I wouldn't be too happy with the potential of meth being release into the hot engine bay.

Might be best to buy another CP with the meth bungs already tapped in and run the stock DVs or Forge ones.

I think that Phils car on standard turbos and meth would probably be quicker than mine on RBs and Super Unleaded.
idnan is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #24
idnan
Major
 
idnan's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

Posts: 1,472
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
You should get downpipes before meth..

Thats the biggest restriction at the moment, you could have the DP's swapped as you change the turbo vacuum hoses..!
+1 no point lowering IATs with meth if your EGTs are through the roof due to the restrictive stock DPs.
idnan is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #25
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
You should get downpipes before meth..

Thats the biggest restriction at the moment, you could have the DP's swapped as you change the turbo vacuum hoses..!
Got the logs cheers mate. Spoke to the Indy I mentioned yesterday [Luton one] He said 90 to replace both turbo lines, sound about right?

Would I have to have downpipes with meth?
__________________

Last edited by Sparky68; 05-28-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #26
phil200tdi
Colonel
 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (1)

The cats are a big bottleneck and will cause lots of stress on the turbos if you want to up the boost significantly.
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #27
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ok the shopping list is getting longer!
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #28
phil200tdi
Colonel
 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Meth injection is the sh!t. I've been meaning to refit mine for weeks but have been arsing around with other stuff. I can really feel the heat soak on warmer days even with my massive FMIC. With meth and a smaller FMIC I never had that problem.

I know some people run meth with BOVs but I wouldn't be too happy with the potential of meth being release into the hot engine bay.

Might be best to buy another CP with the meth bungs already tapped in and run the stock DVs or Forge ones.

I think that Phils car on standard turbos and meth would probably be quicker than mine on RBs and Super Unleaded.
I was only using a 50 meth additive (Hitting about 17psi) and a 50:50 mix. I do think mine still has a minor boost leak.

I still think your car would wipe the floor with it... Once yours is fully sorted I'd love to take a ride along..
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
idnan
Major
 
idnan's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

Posts: 1,472
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
I was only using a 50 meth additive (Hitting about 17psi) and a 50:50 mix. I do think mine still has a minor boost leak.

I still think your car would wipe the floor with it... Once yours is fully sorted I'd love to take a ride along..
Ah I thought you were running more like 19psi...

Currently map 5 has me at about 16psi-ish but is savage in the way it boosts. I drove to Kenilworth to pick up some parts for my e36 track car and developed a massive boost leak (was hitting 9-10psi). Turns out one of the intercooler pipework jubilee clips had come loose. 10mins to whip the fan in and out and tighten the clip and it was sorted.

I've had two reduced power warnings recently so looks like there's trouble brewing.....
idnan is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Ah I thought you were running more like 19psi...

Currently map 5 has me at about 16psi-ish but is savage in the way it boosts. I drove to Kenilworth to pick up some parts for my e36 track car and developed a massive boost leak (was hitting 9-10psi). Turns out one of the intercooler pipework jubilee clips had come loose. 10mins to whip the fan in and out and tighten the clip and it was sorted.

I've had two reduced power warnings recently so looks like there's trouble brewing.....
10psi welcome to my world
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #31
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just been directed towards this one on ebay , any good or a waste of time? Looks like a lot of work installing it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Devils-Own...item460f8ab246
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #32
phil200tdi
Colonel
 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (1)

This is the way to do it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796514

Buy the pump, tank, lines and solenoid from the UK:

www.methanol-injection.co.uk/

You'll need the BMS FSB for meth integration with JB4.

The Aquamist kit is the best on the market but very pricey...
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #33
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Cheers Phil. Terry had a look at the logs and could not workout what was going on.

Suggested a G5
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
phil200tdi
Colonel
 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (1)

Did he have any idea why the ECU PSI was going so crazy?
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
phil200tdi is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
He didn't mention anything. Will order the G5 and go from there anyway.
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
Sparky68
Brigadier General
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 3,023
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ordered the G5 , not that it will solve the vac issue! Will get car booked in to have the remaing 2 vac lines done at the weekend .
__________________
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST