E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help Needed. Active Autowerke tune

05-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red

Help Needed. Active Autowerke tune

So I am having issues with my tune/car. Have not decided if it is my car or the tune and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My car has been stalling at around 3k rpms at mid throttle only. The car starts by stuttering at 2.5 rpms and when it hits 3k it loses throttle. Almost sounds like the car is struggling to fire. Feathering the throttle and full out the car performs as normal. But I use the mid throttle/3k spot most often while driving through the horrible traffic we have here in STL. I have received two different tunes from AA and the car had issues with both. Only issue is the car was throwing different errors from each tune.

First Tune errors (was showing water pump error light when the stall happened):
2f71 e-box fan, input signal
29d1 misfire, cyl 5
29d2 misfire, cyl 6
29d0 misfire, cyl 4
29cc misfire, several cylinders
2d59 dme digital motor electronics, internal failure: control actual torque?

I have not pulled the errors from the second tune (did not have my computer with me this week when the errors happened. I will grab them asap). The error shown on the car is the brake failure light. Same throttle issue though. If I pull over and restart the car, the error and issue go away (until the next time).

I know that I will not get to the root of the issue without getting it diagnosed, but has anyone heard/had this type of issue? With or without the tune?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Have you try running the car without the tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger View Post
2d59 dme digital motor electronics, internal failure: control actual torque?
I have a similar code that randomly pops up. I've emailed previously and they tried a new tune.

I did reset adaptations and it helped keep the code off for several months. This still confuses me.
      05-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100
Have you try running the car without the tune?
I can run without the tune, but I have the stage 3 intake so it still runs like shit without it.

They should really relay this information before you buy the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can run without the tune, but I have the stage 3 intake so it still runs like shit without it.

They should really relay this information before you buy the tune.
to be honest with you , there are very very few people having problems with the AA tune ... I had both tune ( with and without 3 stage intake) and zero problems .

The other option would be asking AA if you can take your car to one of the approves dealers to see if they can help you. I m hoping the diagnostic is at least covered by AA if it is related to the software .

http://store.activeautowerke.com/pages/dealers
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Do you have a stock ecu file from us that you can try? If you flash the car back to stock, you should be able to drive it without any stuttering issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Do you have a stock ecu file from us that you can try? If you flash the car back to stock, you should be able to drive it without any stuttering issues.
I can do that, but the stage 3 manifold does not run without the new mapping.

Has AA run into this issue before? If so, what was the solution?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

the 3 stage will operate normally without a tune. your mapping just won't be optimized.

for troubleshooting going to stock tune to see what happens with your stuttering will be revealing.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I am no expert but your symptoms seem to point to something besides the AA tune. The 3 stage intake won't make your car run like shit without a tune, it just won't give you the power. So I would check other things on the car like vanos, maf sensor, or other maintenance items. I have had the AA tune for over 100,000 miles while adding mods like cold air intake, AA headers, and 3 stage intake. My tune has been perfect and AA has a really good reputation. Again I would suggest to bring it to a local Indy and look for those other items I suggested before.
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can do that, but the stage 3 manifold does not run without the new mapping.

Has AA run into this issue before? If so, what was the solution?
you should be able to ran 3 stage intake with stock tune, it wont be optimal but you should not be getting all these codes and stuttering ...

At this point you need to isolate the problem , is it due to the tune ? is it due to something else in the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

I did not think it was directly associated with the tune. AA has been great with getting me the second tune and looking into the errors.

Just seeing if someone else had similar issues and could point me in the right direction. Would save me some time trying to diagnose the issue at a shop. The car is just bleeding me dry money wise
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Speaking from experience, check that your manifold has no vacuum leaks (smoke test it). I had the headache of diagnosing this issue when I installed the 3-stage manifold and the AA tune at the same time. Also, when tuning, have a battery charger hooked up and definitely try flashing to stock, the car will run with the new manifold.
      05-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
the 3 stage will operate normally without a tune. your mapping just won't be optimized.

for troubleshooting going to stock tune to see what happens with your stuttering will be revealing.
WHS and everyone else below. You have a hardware or install issue.
      06-02-2016, 01:46 AM   #14
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to give everyone an update:

About two weeks ago I took a 200 mile trip and had issues the whole way. I took the car to a shop when I arrived.

The codes my car was throwing were similar as before:
2F9A - ambient temp sensor, communication
2F80 - Motor shutoff time, plausibility
2F71 - E-box fan, input signal
29D2 - Misfire cyl 6
29D1 - Misfire cyl 5
29CC - Misfire several cyls
29D0 - Misfire cyl 4
29D9 - Misfire in case of tank level too low

I believed the spark plugs were the issue from looking at the codes and how the car was dying. Had the shop replace the spark plugs for me. Drove home two days later. The car still had some bugs, but the car is not dying as much on the way home.

Been driving the car now for about two weeks after changing the spark plugs and as long as I don't clear the codes or mid throttle acceleration at around 3k rpm's the car runs great.

Pulled the codes again yesterday and only had one code:

2F71 - E-box fan, input signal

If I clear this code the car dies once and will be fine after that. I believe this is the fan for the ecu. If the ecu is overheating, the car might have an auto shut off?

I am hoping that the fix for this is just a blown fuse which I will be looking into tomorrow.

Appears that the tune just heightened issues that my car was already experiencing. I do not believe the tune caused any of these things to happen within my car and this thread should not deter someone from purchasing from AA. This thread was created to gain insight on the issue and to document my issue in case someone else received the same type problems when adding the 3IM and tune.

I will post again once I have the E-box fan fixed. Believe this has been the heart of the issue from the beginning and will be happy to have the car running healthy again. Fingers crossed. Thank you everyone who replied to the thread and added their experiences with this issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah I think it will shut down if the DME gets too hot - there's definitely an internal DME temperature watchdog. E90s don't have an ebox fan though.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #16
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, I have fixed the ECU fan as of Monday. Everything was going great until this morning when to my surprise the car died again!

I went to pull the codes and I did not have any errors. This now makes me wonder what the actual issue could be. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them as this has me stumped.

Almost ready to throw in the towel with the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #17
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Battery?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Battery?
Funny, I was about to say the same thing.
      06-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Check your eccentric shaft sensor for oil. If it has oil, the sensor has failed. The oil will add capacitance and alter the readings, causing valvetronic issues, which is responsible for manipulating airflow into the motor, after the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #20
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep

First off, fourth tune feels much faster. Smoother power band from 3.5k- Redline. Do not even need to be at WOT in order to feel the difference so AA tune is doing what it said it would.

The video below is the issue I am receiving. If anyone else has dealt with this issue please let me know as AA and I are trying to diagnose what is going on.

Do not mind the brake light and TPMS light. They were on before I started tuning.

https://youtu.be/pe5wF3tup4s
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #21
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Are you still getting 2D59?
Appreciate 0