E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Trade in for FRS BRZ???

01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
gindajatt1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a criminal!

Red face Trade in for FRS BRZ???

Hey guys I know this a BMW forum so some of you will be biased but Im looking for an honest answer.

A little background on me- I am a college student currently working on my bachelors. I drive a JB 325i, mods include: matte black 19" mirro 111's, H&R sport springs, Spacers, AA stage 2 tune, tints, amber light delete, BMW PE. My car has 74,000 miles on it now (bought it with 20,000 miles on it) its completely paid off. I have just done regular maintenance on it (brakes, rotors, oil changes, etc...) Its a good clean car and still runs well. Now Im getting up their in mileage and Im obviously out of warranty, I know Ive got the water pump, t-stat, and eventually the starter common issues coming up.

So like any college student these days, Im a little tight on money. Not crazy tight but I dont have money laying around to throw on repairs that will be due shortly.

I really like the look of the frs and maintenance will be cheaper. The performance is similar to my 325i and of course the aftermarket parts will be a lot cheaper. so im not to worried about performance and mods. also I would really like to get in to a newer car.l Don't get me wrong I love BMW's and when I graduate I plan on buying one again. I know ultimately this will be my decision to make but I want some input from you guys. Some pros and cons perhaps?? Also if I decide to sell it privately what do you think I should list it at?

so please I just want some input so dont start bashing me
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
Drove a FRS just yesterday while the handling is great in that car but it's completely gutless. I'd not get rid of my BMW for it, you'd have to pay more in payments than putting the money down for maintenance... especially if you're gonna buy another one after you graduate, why bother selling it?

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
inline6ix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Green E90 325i

Garage List
The performance wouldn't be that much different than your 325i. I've never driven an FR-S but I assume the other guy is right. I have 85k miles in my '06 325i, and I've still got no problems at all. The water pump/thermostat/starter problems you list aren't that much to fix if you can find a good indy or can DIY. Besides that, it's not like it's just gonna blow up any minute because of what you consider higher mileage. In fact, my previous 1997 528i had 204k miles on it when it came time to sell it, and even that is still a reliable car with simple maintenance.

Also, as a college student, I appreciate the good use of space the E90 has, plus the whole having 4 doors thing. It comes in handy.
      01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
There are plenty of people running this car in much higher mileage than we do... a few has hit 200k... as long as you're on top of the maintenance, BMW are darn reliable.

Also forgot to mention the lack of space the FRS has, I was in the driver seat and only a dog would be able to fit behind me. I don't lean back or anything but if you're 6' or so then consider it a 2 seater! lol

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
gindajatt1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a criminal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack
There are plenty of people running this car in much higher mileage than we do... a few has hit 200k... as long as you're on top of the maintenance, BMW are darn reliable.

Also forgot to mention the lack of space the FRS has, I was in the driver seat and only a dog would be able to fit behind me. I don't lean back or anything but if you're 6' or so then consider it a 2 seater! lol
yea I'm 6'4" lol and that would be a issue butI have sat in it and I was ok, I'm usually the only one in my car anyway, sometimes my gf too but other then that I don't need the extra space, its more of a convince I guess
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

It's almost always cheaper to keep and maintain a paid off car that's been serving you well than to get a new one. You'll likely have to sink in over $10k right off the bat to trade into an FRS/BRZ, and a huge chunk of that will be lost the second you drive it off the lot. Even budgeting for major repairs like water pump and starter won't be anywhere near that price.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

You're talking about the "what ifs". Fact is, you don't have a monthly car payment.

You want to have a car payment AND spend money modding it? How does that make any sense? You said yourself that you are tight on money.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Car vs car, I'd take the FRS/BRZ. The 325 is a sloth and looks just boring as it goes.

It's a worthy jump. But you need to figure out the #'s.
      01-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
I wouldn't change. Trading a car with same performance and cheaper interior is not a move I would take by any means.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Car vs car, I'd take the FRS/BRZ. The 325 is a sloth and looks just boring as it goes.

It's a worthy jump. But you need to figure out the #'s.
Not much more boring than what you have in your garage...

Anyway, the OTHER comments on wise financial decision is what the OP should look at. It is absolutely NOT worth changing it...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLev View Post
Also, as a college student, I appreciate the good use of space the E90 has, plus the whole having 4 doors thing. It comes in handy.
+1 on college student appreciating the space of the e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post

Anyway, the OTHER comments on wise financial decision is what the OP should look at. It is absolutely NOT worth changing it...
I sorta have to agree with the first part.

But I absolutely agree with the second part.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

I can understand you wanting to let get of the BMW as it gets up in mileage due to wanting to save money. You would really have to do a cost analysis on keeping w/ no payments vs. selling and having a car note.

If you sell and get a BRZ, you could have that money if your pocket and have a monthly car note. Depending on how far you're into your college career, you would have enough from the sale of your 325 to handle the payments of your BRZ until you graduate. Then you would have a car you can trade in with a better residual value in 2-3 years from now.

However, if you kept the BMW, you would have no car payments but more expensive car insurance vs. the BRZ. Since you are around 70K, you will have to replace the (3) items above. Which probably will total 2-3K if you get it completed at a shop versus completing it on your own. Also with BMW going FI, the e90/e92 are depreciating a bit faster than usual.

Personally, I would sell it and get the BRZ. The cost savings will be better as you will have better gas mileage, lower insurance, and lower maintenance cost. Also with the financing deals out there, you can finance it 100% and have a 1.99% APR or less (Navy Federal)

I love BMWs as well, but I do understand how much of a PITA maintenance are with these vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post
Hey guys I know this a BMW forum so some of you will be biased but Im looking for an honest answer.

A little background on me- I am a college student currently working on my bachelors. I drive a JB 325i, mods include: matte black 19" mirro 111's, H&R sport springs, Spacers, AA stage 2 tune, tints, amber light delete, BMW PE. My car has 74,000 miles on it now (bought it with 20,000 miles on it) its completely paid off. I have just done regular maintenance on it (brakes, rotors, oil changes, etc...) Its a good clean car and still runs well. Now Im getting up their in mileage and Im obviously out of warranty, I know Ive got the water pump, t-stat, and eventually the starter common issues coming up.

So like any college student these days, Im a little tight on money. Not crazy tight but I dont have money laying around to throw on repairs that will be due shortly.

I really like the look of the frs and maintenance will be cheaper. The performance is similar to my 325i and of course the aftermarket parts will be a lot cheaper. so im not to worried about performance and mods. also I would really like to get in to a newer car.l Don't get me wrong I love BMW's and when I graduate I plan on buying one again. I know ultimately this will be my decision to make but I want some input from you guys. Some pros and cons perhaps?? Also if I decide to sell it privately what do you think I should list it at?

01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

If I were to go back in time, I would have kept the car I had in college (Subaru 2.5RS). Until financialy stable, get whatever the hell i feel like at the time. I think I would have saved a lot of $ from switching back and forth... LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Let me assure you you'll regret the 2 door lol
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

I sat in one the other day, backseat is useless. No was you can fit anyone in it if your over 5 8
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

If you're in school, I say keep the car until you graduate, and not get into a monthly payment. The 325i is plenty reliable, especially if yours has been good so far. I doubt the BRZ is even quicker.

if money is tight, I don't see how having a car payment will help your situation. when I was in college, I almost bought a used sports car.. I figured I could easily make the payments with my part-time job.. In the end I didn't, and I'm SO glad I kept my old car, because I had enough cash from a summer job that let me quit my part time job at school my senior year and I just had a lot of fun instead, and didn't have to worry about a car payment.

Also, whoever said insurance will be cheaper on the BRZ, I bet that's not true. I had a 13 year old integra coupe when I got my E90, and the insurance on the E90 was LESS than the old integra. New sports coupes driven by lots of 18-25 year old males tend to cost a lot more to insure.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindajatt1 View Post

I wouldn't do it. Once you price in depreciation it doesn't make sense. Get your degree and get a car that you want once you have financial stability.

Also, a guy @ HPDE next to me had one. I asked him what he likes and what he doesn't like. Good things: weight, affordable, mpg, value. Bad things: tank size, no power, trunk/space, interior materials. He also said handling is OK bot it doesn't ride like BMW.

He kept driving with 1/2 tank because with the full tank it's a sloth - his words. And then add one more person.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep

The insurance will actually be a tad bit lower w/ the BRZ. This is primarily due to the replacement cost of parts if something happened to car.

You're right though, if you want to save money keep your car. I'd do the opposite, but I'm pretty good w/ money. It's a gamble either way being in college.

Why not get a civic or something low maintenance? That's a win/win. Money in your pocket and something that rarely breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
If you're in school, I say keep the car until you graduate, and not get into a monthly payment. The 325i is plenty reliable, especially if yours has been good so far. I doubt the BRZ is even quicker.

if money is tight, I don't see how having a car payment will help your situation. when I was in college, I almost bought a used sports car.. I figured I could easily make the payments with my part-time job.. In the end I didn't, and I'm SO glad I kept my old car, because I had enough cash from a summer job that let me quit my part time job at school my senior year and I just had a lot of fun instead, and didn't have to worry about a car payment.

Also, whoever said insurance will be cheaper on the BRZ, I bet that's not true. I had a 13 year old integra coupe when I got my E90, and the insurance on the E90 was LESS than the old integra. New sports coupes driven by lots of 18-25 year old males tend to cost a lot more to insure.
      01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
Insurance would not be cheaper unless he has full coverage on the BMW, the BMW is paid off so he doesn't have to and financing a FRS/BRZ would require it.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post

The 328 is noticeably quicker, but I didn't get it to go fast either. The coupe, imo, is much more attractive than the E90. It fit my needs perfectly whereas a 325 sedan wouldn't have. I'm now looking for an E46 M3, but if the FRS had more power, I would get that.

The 325 is nice, but a FRS/BRZ is fun. That's why I say it's a worthy jump.
      01-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep

True, but to not have full coverage on a BMW would be very unwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
Insurance would not be cheaper unless he has full coverage on the BMW, the BMW is paid off so he doesn't have to and financing a FRS/BRZ would require it.
      01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

with the OP's list of mods, I'd argue that his 325i is probably pretty fun to drive. Maybe not as fun as a BRZ, but I don't think he'd be happy with a stock BRZ and would want to spend more money on mods

Anyway, as far as insurance costs, I was going by actual experience.. insurnance on a 14 year old integra GSR was more than insurance on a 2 year old E90. Both had 100/300 coverage limits. the BRZ is a similar type of car as the integra (as far as demographics are concerned), so I'd imagine a new BRZ would have a high rate of insurance. Though rates do vary by location, and I imagine that living in L.A. had a lot to do with it.

As far as maintainence on the BMW, I have 108k miles and haven't needed anything other than oil changes and one set of brakes. at 100k, I had the trans fluid and pan changed ($240 in parts), and changed the spark plugs. He's got a ways before he needs any of that though.

And I doubt the BRZ comes with free maintenaince, so he'll need to pay for some of that anyway.

I'm sure he knows what the best financial option is, but it really comes down to how much he wants a BRZ. When you really want something, you tend to find a way to justify the purchase, even when deep down, you know it's not the best thing to do.

Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50