E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Spring Compressor - 2 Questions

06-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Question Spring Compressor - 2 Questions

Does anyone on this board in the NW have access to the correct BMW / Klann spring compressor for removing and replacing the rear springs on an E9X? It looks like this http://www.handsontools.com/assets/i..._thumbnail.jpg

If not...

If I were to purchase one (they are nearly $600) would there be any interest by NW members renting it from me to do spring swaps for a fairly reasonable fee + refundable deposit?

I have gotten some fairly steep labor quotes, over $600 in labor to swap to the BMW Performance Suspension system, and for those prices I could do it myself in an afternoon and come out of the process with a tool in hand -but, if I could further offset my cost of the tool by renting it out all the better.

This tool makes changing the rear springs a piece of cake as it compresses the spring internally and you then simply lift it out of position (between the spring seats in the lower control arm and the chassis - no need to drop the control arm at the axel carrier or at its pivot point etc. Anyway - just thought I would gauge interest in this idea....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

It takes like 30 minutes a corner to swap the rear spring out. The tool isnt worth it.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
vladdy328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I would be interested in renting it
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

I bought a set of spring compressors online for $40.00 when we did mine. I would much rather drop the control arm for a few minutes rather than pay $600.00 for an unnecessary special compressor.
      07-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur Abendroth View Post
I bought a set of spring compressors online for $40.00 when we did mine. I would much rather drop the control arm for a few minutes rather than pay $600.00 for an unnecessary special compressor.
You are, those are for the front springs. There isnt any room to get that spring compressor on the rear hence the need for the special tool.

|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

there is no need for a spring compressor at all in the rear, it would take longer to play with that compressor then it would to just push down on the lower control arm and pull it out. just be careful on the driver side rear as there is a level sensor on there, remove the 10mm nut holding the plastic arm to the lower control arm and your golden!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
You are, those are for the front springs. There isnt any room to get that spring compressor on the rear hence the need for the special tool.
Than how did I do my rears with it?
      07-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
there is no need for a spring compressor at all in the rear, it would take longer to play with that compressor then it would to just push down on the lower control arm and pull it out. just be careful on the driver side rear as there is a level sensor on there, remove the 10mm nut holding the plastic arm to the lower control arm and your golden!
^Listen to this guy
      07-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
vladdy328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I heard it wasnt possible to install springs without the compressor?? I just bought springs and havent done the installation yet because thats what somebody told me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy328 View Post
I heard it wasnt possible to install springs without the compressor?? I just bought springs and havent done the installation yet because thats what somebody told me.
you need spring compressors for the front, thats for sure, the rear you only need basic hand tools
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur Abendroth View Post
Than how did I do my rears with it?
You did it the long/hard way.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
You did it the long/hard way.
Even so, you don't have to stand on the swing arm and with a torque gun compressing the springs it was very fast.
      07-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
On an E92 335 is the rear lower control arm released inboard at the subframe or outboard where it connects to the wheel bearing carrier?

I assume this method uses a trolly jack to lower the control arm and release the spring presure and then used to jack the assembly back into place?

Any other bolts need to be loosed to free up bushings so as not to tear them when pivoting the lower control arm lower than its natural range of travel?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #14
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Addict View Post
On an E92 335 is the rear lower control arm released inboard at the subframe or outboard where it connects to the wheel bearing carrier?

I assume this method uses a trolly jack to lower the control arm and release the spring presure and then used to jack the assembly back into place?

Any other bolts need to be loosed to free up bushings so as not to tear them when pivoting the lower control arm lower than its natural range of travel?
take out the outboard bolt where it meets the spindle (bearing carrier) and lower it down with a jack. you have to remove the lower shock bolt using a deep 17mm socket first.
Appreciate 0