E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Just hit 85k miles. Help me with my checklist please.

06-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just hit 85k miles. Help me with my checklist please.

Last month I replaced my front pads/rotors and did a full brake fluid flush. Also did spark plugs and had to get a new battery.

Just now I ordered front Meyle HD upper control arms and sway bar links for front and rear. Trying to figure out which sway bar bushings to get and if it's even feasible to replace them.

Recently had my auto trans fluid changed, oil changed, and intake valves walnut blasted. Also topped off with blinker fluid.

I've found in research that I should probably start thinking about changing my serpentine belt and the idler pulley. It's gotten a bit loud and "uneven" (if that makes sense) at idle when cold.

What else should I put on the list? I want to keep my car running in top shape for as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

How about your differential fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Last month I replaced my front pads/rotors and did a full brake fluid flush. Also did spark plugs and had to get a new battery.

Just now I ordered front Meyle HD upper control arms and sway bar links for front and rear. Trying to figure out which sway bar bushings to get and if it's even feasible to replace them.

Recently had my auto trans fluid changed, oil changed, and intake valves walnut blasted. Also topped off with blinker fluid.

I've found in research that I should probably start thinking about changing my serpentine belt and the idler pulley. It's gotten a bit loud and "uneven" (if that makes sense) at idle when cold.

What else should I put on the list? I want to keep my car running in top shape for as long as possible.
Water pump and thermostat are probably on life support. Mine were at your mileage. Upper AND lower control arms. Tie rod assembly, rear track struts. Valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, Auto tranny pan gasket, and mechatronic seeling sleeve gaskets, oil level sensor?, shocks,...and the list goes on. I'm at 94K miles, so i know.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Water pump and thermostat are probably on life support. Mine were at your mileage. Upper AND lower control arms. Tie rod assembly, rear track struts. Valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, Auto tranny pan gasket, and mechatronic seeling sleeve gaskets, oil level sensor?, shocks,...and the list goes on. I'm at 94K miles, so i know.
Or just change fluids and dont touch anything else until it breaks. My e46 lasted 197,000 miles and had original shocks, struts, springs, coils, exhaust, calipers, starter, alternator, etc etc etc.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane56 View Post
How about your differential fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant?
Good call. Will add those to the list.

Quote:
Replaced shocks 20k miles ago. Not too worried about the gaskets. I have a warranty for another 25k miles. If those go out it's covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Or just change fluids and dont touch anything else until it breaks. My e46 lasted 197,000 miles and had original shocks, struts, springs, coils, exhaust, calipers, starter, alternator, etc etc etc.
Deteriorating parts affect the quality of the vehicle long before they break.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

X2 on what Killerfish2012 mentioned. Between 60-80K it is wise to have coolant, water pump, thermostat, and water hoses changed out.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
lbernielu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, sp, Bilstein, H&R

Serpentine belt has a tension pulley and an idler pulley.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

I'm doing my serp. belt, idler pully, valve cover gasket, LPFP + LPFP regulator next week. If the LPFP, and or regulator go out on you, while the car is running, it can destroy your engine. The last two items, I forgot to add to my last post.

chriztofor, you need to realize that 335I's will see much more maintenance on critical parts because of the increased thermal output of the vehicle. We see 230-260F oil temps our whole life, and exhaust temps reach 1,500F!! It's a whole different, rubber/plastic melting ball game.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

Quote:
damn
      06-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i Sedan

Quote:
I'm doing my serp. belt, idler pully, valve cover gasket, LPFP + LPFP regulator next week. If the LPFP, and or regulator go out on you, while the car is running, it can destroy your engine. The last two items, I forgot to add to my last post.

chriztofor, you need to realize that 335I's will see much more maintenance on critical parts because of the increased thermal output of the vehicle. We see 230-260F oil temps our whole life, and exhaust temps reach 1,500F!! It's a whole different, rubber/plastic melting ball game.
Killerfish...good point.

Not trying to hijack thread, but as a new owner, I swear I was shocked at the heat coming from the engine of my 335 in my garage; it is like a bloody oven compared to my E36M3...

This lump runs H O T.
Appreciate 0