E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Could Have Gone Up In Flames!!

03-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Could Have Gone Up In Flames!!

Had a bit of a disaster today but could have ended up much worse!

Got home from uni early and had two clarinets to repad, materials had arrived and I set to work, went down stairs to get my spirit lamp (keep some equipment in the shed) to warm up the glue, my phone rang so I went to answer it in the front room and the room smelt of gas, so opened the gas meter cupboard and it nearly knocked me out lol so rang the "smell gas ring me" man up, he came out put a meter on and it was off the scale.

Turns out the gas is leaking out of the lead pipes, the house has more or less got to be ripped apart to get the pipes sorted, glad I don't own the house or I'd be paying for it all, really lucky infact because the gas man said the house could have very easily have blown up!!

Now the house has no cooker, hot water or heating is about to be ripped apart so I've moved back in with my parents til the work is done, that could well prove to be as dangerous as the gas

So anyone with an old house, be careful!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Fookin' ell.

Glad a disaster was avoided.
      03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post

Got home from uni early and had two clarinets to repad, materials had arrived and I set to work, went down stairs to get my spirit lamp (keep some equipment in the shed) to warm up the glue, my phone rang so I went to answer it in the front room and the room smelt of gas, so opened the gas meter cupboard and it nearly knocked me out lol so rang the "smell gas ring me" man up, he came out put a meter on and it was off the scale.

Turns out the gas is leaking out of the lead pipes, the house has more or less got to be ripped apart to get the pipes sorted, glad I don't own the house or I'd be paying for it all, really lucky infact because the gas man said the house could have very easily have blown up!!

Now the house has no cooker, hot water or heating is about to be ripped apart so I've moved back in with my parents til the work is done, that could well prove to be as dangerous as the gas

Hey

You are one REALLY lucky lady!

I know of a guy who blew himself up a few years ago by lighting a cigarette 'cos his gas cooker was leaking - he did not survive..................

If yours is a privately rented house, the landlord has a legal obligation to have all gas appliances and installations inspected by an approved, (was CORGI) operative I believe once a year.
If he doesn't comply with this he can be fined or imprisoned and if anyone dies as a result, he can be charged with manslaughter.

Make sure the certificates are in place before you move back in. You only get one life kiddo
      03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:

So....your full of gas
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Glad you didn't go KABOOM!

Not only old houses though. The new house I bought 2 years ago apparently had all the gas work done by untrained monkeys. They had "forgot" to sleeve the main gas pipe in the wall cavity which could cause it to rupture and fill the cavity up with gas etc. All 50 houses on the development had to be fixed!

The moral of the story...don't mess with gas..cos it'll eff you up!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Just dont buy a house which runs on gas.
      03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Bloody hell Nicola close call!! Glad you're ok.

Don't know about you, but I'm really sensitive to the smell of gas (not farts before anyone says 'owt).

Nearlys don't count eh..........bit like near misses in your car lol.

Pleased it's all getting sorted though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Just dont buy a house which runs on gas.
Yeah oil is best!
      03-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Yeah oil is best!
TooFackin right.
      03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

U lucky little Porka!

Just as well, otherwise u might have missed out on the event of the year....that being UK7 lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
G33

Lons - thats shocking good job I didn't light my spirit lamp up!! Are the certs still needed if you don't have an agent?

Don't know if this has been going on a while (the gas leak) as the pipes have perished, they are very old so maybe it has slowly been getting worse?? It would go porous and fracture all at once would it?? Know it's a corgi man doing it as I know the plumber

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
G33

Lons - thats shocking good job I didn't light my spirit lamp up!! Are the certs still needed if you don't have an agent?

Don't know if this has been going on a while (the gas leak) as the pipes have perished, they are very old so maybe it has slowly been getting worse?? It would go porous and fracture all at once would it?? Know it's a corgi man doing it as I know the plumber
Certificates are ALWAYS required if you are going to rent out a property.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg285.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Yeah oil is best!
How good is Oil? The village we are looking to move to next has oil but i've never used it.

Had a house with natural gas and LPG, but never experienced oil.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
How good is Oil? The village we are looking to move to next has oil but i've never used it.

Had a house with natural gas and LPG, but never experienced oil.
If you are not on mains gas then your only main options are oil or LPG, I think you will find oil is cheaper to run than LPG, but as with everything there are good and bad points. LPG tanks are maintained by the supplying company but you are responsible for your oil tank maintenance and they aren't cheap to buy.
      03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
God i'm boring.
      03-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Porcha
NFS is spot on

Letting any property without the relevent inspections is a very serious offence.

Madman

We don't have gas in the village and we've used oil for 22 years. Whatever house you buy or rent will already have the tank installed but you are responsible for mainenance (very little with modern plastic tanks).

Good points:-
If you don't sign in to a contract you can buy your oil when at it's cheapest although I've paid from 8p - 43p litre. Phone around and play suppliers against each other
As efficient as any other fuel in my opinion.
Boilers are very simple and easy to service - shop around
Much safer than gas - doesn't burn or explode unless oil is vaporised

Bad points:-
tank is an eyesore
Can sometimes smell oil
Can be noisier

Hope this helps
      03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
NFS / Lons - thanks I'll have to speak to them, it's a case of friend of a friends mum and dad who live in Spain, they pretty much let me do what I want to the house, so long as they know as they don't plan on moving back, lovely couple though

Feel really quite lucky that it's all being sorted really, could have been a lot, lot worse

Not to mention after years I've finally made up with my dad, so not all bad I don't suppose!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I had an incident with my house the first year I owned it that was the other end of the gas leak spectrum. I had a wall mounted space heater that was an eye-sore. One day a technician from British Gas was canvassing the neighborhood giving free appliance inspections (this was in 1998). He took one look at the heater and asked if I used it. I said I'd turned it on once but since it was the winter I was likely to do so again. He said not to use it until I had the flue cleaned. He pointed out discolouration on the front that was caused by exhaust gasses coming back into the room. Carbon Monoxide is a killer just as unburnt gas but without the odour.

Glad all is working out well for you Nicola. It's a plus that your relationship with your dad is back on track. I wish I could have that once again with mine.

How long are you out of the house? If it's going to be a while you might want to return and retrieve important papers and documents, just in case.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Something else..

Wow, that's a lucky escape Nicola..Hope you're OK..
Appreciate 0