E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Anyway to disable "Soft Stop" Feature via update?

11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Question Anyway to disable "Soft Stop" Feature via update?

I drive a 2007 335i sedan, and I have been searching for a while now on how to remove this feature known as "Soft Stop" or "Comfort Stop". I have attempted to get used to way the brakes function, but I have not been able to do so. So I'd like to try to have this removed via coding or an upgrade to my DME maybe? I read somewhere that an update was released that was supposed to resolve the jerk you get when you try to come to a complete stop a.k.a "Soft Stop". Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Last edited by nick380; 11-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added Car
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

To disable Comfort(Soft)Stop you need to code the DSC module.
Change the following to nicht_aktiv

SST
aktiv

That will turn it off completely. It is interesting to note that I only had issues with the function of Comfort Stop
on early E90's. The system seems to have been refined on LCI models. The Comfort stop on the E60 is transparent in its
operation, as well. Perhaps an update of the DSC module can give our early E90's Comfort Stop the more refined feel of
the latter versions, without disabling the feature totally. There is a DSC update available for my 06 330i, but I have yet to apply it.
I'll report back here if I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for being so informative ! I feel like our models in specific are actually the epitome of sports vehicles at the time and maybe they wanted to go for a more sporty feel, so maybe they expect you to pound on the brakes like a race driver? Haha. But of course the idea is to get the perfect stop, but alright let me know! I would be very interested to find out if an update would make the comfort stop nice like in the e60s!

335i Manual Swap Project http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207505
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I don't think I've ever felt that kick in...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Me neither, although no matter how hard I try to get it to stop so you barley notice it, the brakes always bight at the end. I do know that soft stop has to do with the ABS system so if you don't want it, disable your ABS which I don't think you want to do. You will lose the auto drying brake feature as well.
      11-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
When it works properly, you'd be hard pressed to notice Comfort Stops operation.

Comfort Stop operates during the last 1ft (approximately) of a light to medium stop. What it does is release the pressure applied to the rear brakes as the vehicle decelerates for those last few inches before coming to a complete stop. The effect of this, is to reduce the jolt and body motion (passenger and vehicle) that occurs during these stops. It smooths the feel of the stop.

When Comfort Stop is activated, you can here the rear brakes release. It sounds almost like an electronic parking brake being set.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
Thanks for being so informative ! I feel like our models in specific are actually the epitome of sports vehicles at the time and maybe they wanted to go for a more sporty feel, so maybe they expect you to pound on the brakes like a race driver? Haha. But of course the idea is to get the perfect stop, but alright let me know! I would be very interested to find out if an update would make the comfort stop nice like in the e60s!
I planned to update the DSC module to see if Comfort Stop operation improved, but my daten files were lacking, which caused my update to fail.

I am now in the process of updating my daten files correctly and will the update the DSC module. The system shows that there is a DSC module update for my 06 330i and I'm pretty sure this Comfort Stop has been addressed by it. When I get the update flashed, I'll let you know the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Perfect! I'd be interested in seeing if an update would indeed make the feature less jerky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
I planned to update the DSC module to see if Comfort Stop operation improved, but my daten files were lacking, which caused my update to fail.

I am now in the process of updating my daten files correctly and will the update the DSC module. The system shows that there is a DSC module update for my 06 330i and I'm pretty sure this Comfort Stop has been addressed by it. When I get the update flashed, I'll let you know the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
rpoitras
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I was hoping to be able to enable this on my 2010 X5 and although I have the SST variable in my whole car backup file (set to nicht_aktiv), it is not listed when I read out the DSC module. I would have thought this feature is really just software and wouldn't require additional hardware so not sure why its not available. I do have Auto-Hold which allows you to take your foot off the brake when stopped so I assumed any necessary hardware is already there.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

I set SST to nicht_aktiv but the jurky stop is still present. I notice that sometimes it is not there though. I read in the brakes section that it may be the front bushing are worn?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
I set SST to nicht_aktiv but the jurky stop is still present. I notice that sometimes it is not there though. I read in the brakes section that it may be the front bushing are worn?
Then Comfort Stop is not the cause of your jerky stops.

There are two other probable causes for your issue.
Both deal with the transmission.
The ZF Auto can get a bit clumsy on the 2-1 downshift causing a slight jolt or bump
as the vehicle comes to a stop. You can use INPA to clear your tranny adaptations. This will smooth the shifts eliminating the jerk. The jerk can return though. For a permanent fix, the ATF fluid needs to be changed.

Another cause for jerky stops is the Neutral Idle Control. It disengages the torque converter at stops in gear to save fuel. Supposedly it can get a little harsh sometimes. Search the forums a bit to learn more about this one and if it applies to your car or not. New tranny fluid cured my jerky stops so I never tried disabling NIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Clearing the transmission adaptations fixed the problem, but like you said it'll probably return. Ordered the pan and will change the oil this weekend.

Thanks for all you help.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post

Would you mind posting the zb number you use for the update? I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i (6/2007)

I have a 2007 335i E92, in my DSC module I have SST, but it is currently set at wert_01. When I try to make it nicht_aktiv, I get an error.

I tried wert_00, but it made no difference. Any advice on shutting this off?
Appreciate 0