E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Another BLuetooth, Phone craddle, USB install

09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #67
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
How did this end up working out? Im curious because I want to install the 6FL kit in my car, but the OEM instructions seem pretty sketchy on the details. Do you have to run new cable? Does this involve removing the seats/carpet?
We're working on our installations. Enlisted a electronics guy to fabricate a custom wiring harness for us. Details on this is forth coming. Jimmy's further along than I for various reasons.

Yes, the rear seat cushions must be removed to run cables. It's not that difficult to remove. No, the carpet does not need be removed unless you're planning install the USB hub unit (located near and underneath the driver seat) and associated cables.

Spoke with Jimmy, and he has recent important details to share with you guys..

More to come.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #68
Mesa
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Thanks for keeping us updated! What is the USB hub unit? Im guessing thats different from the actual USB connector installed in the center console?

You're getting custom wiring harnesses made in addition to those that come with the retrofit kit, or did you not bother getting that kit?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #69
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated! What is the USB hub unit? Im guessing thats different from the actual USB connector installed in the center console?

You're getting custom wiring harnesses made in addition to those that come with the retrofit kit, or did you not bother getting that kit?

Thanks again!
USB hub ties is a juncture switch box for the second or three USB plugs ( one at the radio and/or glove box. As mentioned in previous post, Jimmy and I have slight different objectives. Mine is including the phone cradle and associated components and harnesses.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 09-22-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #70
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Snoozee, it's a little off topic, but what's the actual process to edit the VO/FA list? I can't seem to feel it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #71
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Snoozee, it's a little off topic, but what's the actual process to edit the VO/FA list? I can't seem to feel it out.
attached is a PDF which i found which is one of the clearer tutorials on add/changing VO. the guide is for E60 but the steps are the same. the only difference is that E90 stores the VO information in CAS and FRM/NFRM modules whereas E60 stores in CAS and another different module.
follow the guide through all 20 steps first.
then in the instructions which says code to the 2nd control unit, press F1 and select the FRM/NFRM modules and do the FA_WRITE coding job.

this will complete the VO adding portion of the retrofit.

after this is done, you need to change the ECU to 2RAD (radio professional) and change the job to SG_CODIEREN and code the radio. this will inform the radio of the VO change and display the bluetooth option on the radio. at this point, you can try to pair your phone and try to make calls. the bluetooth ID of the car is "BMWxxxxx" where "xxxxx" is the last 5 numbers of your VIN.
if you do not see this bluetooth ID and sees something else like "handsfree", then the radio coding did not work properly.

in this case, exit NCSExpert and launch it again this time using revtor's profile. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED WORK AROUND BY CODING EXPERTS but it may solve the problem so you can choose not to do this if you do not feel comfortable with this. go through the steps in the tutorial but skip the adding VO portion (steps 8 to 13). select the 2RAD ecu and click on F4 or the button which says "Read ECU". this will download the current information of the radio module into a file named "FSW_PSW.TRC". copy this file and save it to a safe place as backup. open the FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad and delete ALL the information inside. then select file>save as and save the blank file as "FSW_PSW.MAN". this essentially creates a blank MAN file for coding. then change the coding job to SG_CODIEREN and run the job to code the radio.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NCS_Changing_the_Vehicle_Order_CAS.pdf (1.56 MB, 995 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #72
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Holy LORD! It's THAT complicated? Jeez, I'm surprised I couldn't find a tutorial before, thanks for posting the detailed info and PDF. In case I run into trouble, where can I find revtor's profile? I'll go try this now and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #73
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Huh. So my radio ECU is 2URAD, not 2RAD. But whatever on that - when I try to either read or write it, I get the following error (copied from error.log):

ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65MMI.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2020
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2020
CODIERDATEN_LESEN

Any ideas there? I'm going to go die in a hole if you say "update daten"
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #74
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Holy LORD! It's THAT complicated? Jeez, I'm surprised I couldn't find a tutorial before, thanks for posting the detailed info and PDF. In case I run into trouble, where can I find revtor's profile? I'll go try this now and see how it goes.
google revtor profile ncsexpert and you should be able to find somewhere to download the profile.

there is another site bmw coding dot com which you can find lotsa information on coding as well. like what i mentioned earlier, i did my research for several weeks to really understand what's going on before i managed to do the retrofit. it's not easy but also not that difficult once you understand what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #75
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Huh. So my radio ECU is 2URAD, not 2RAD. But whatever on that - when I try to either read or write it, I get the following error (copied from error.log):

ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65MMI.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2020
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2020
CODIERDATEN_LESEN

Any ideas there? I'm going to go die in a hole if you say "update daten"
someone did had problems with 2URAD as well but did manage to get it working. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709632

well, you better have some good tools to dig that big hole cos "update daten" might be necessary to solve your problem.

check the dates of the daten files you have. if they are dated before your car's built date, then you definitely need to update them since the required information may not be there.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #76
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I updated to daten v46 (i think, mid 2012), but I think the files I had were mid 2010, so actually newer than the car. It didn't seem to help, I still can't seem to touch the radio. That thread and others are, unfortunately, not very enlightening. Also unfortunate: even though it's now been left to sit and chill overnight, the radio doesn't seem to be picking up the newly added $664

Edit: Hmm. Although on second look, veloearl in that thread seems to have used $644. Even though both of our 328i E90s are US. Maybe I'll just swap the code out and see if it works after a while.

Edit: Just switched the VO from having $664 to $644. I guess I'll let the car sit and think about what it's done, maybe it'll change its tune in a few hours.

Last edited by alexwhittemore; 10-08-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #77
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post

Spoke with Jimmy, and he has recent important details to share with you guys..

More to come.
Lets here it. I installed everything in my car and its ready to go. Getting it coded next week, if there is something new that I need to know before hand I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #78
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Lets here it. I installed everything in my car and its ready to go. Getting it coded next week, if there is something new that I need to know before hand I would appreciate it.
Ok, I'll text him and get him to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozee View Post
attached is a PDF which i found which is one of the clearer tutorials on add/changing VO. the guide is for E60 but the steps are the same. the only difference is that E90 stores the VO information in CAS and FRM/NFRM modules whereas E60 stores in CAS and another different module.
follow the guide through all 20 steps first.
then in the instructions which says code to the 2nd control unit, press F1 and select the FRM/NFRM modules and do the FA_WRITE coding job.

this will complete the VO adding portion of the retrofit.

after this is done, you need to change the ECU to 2RAD (radio professional) and change the job to SG_CODIEREN and code the radio. this will inform the radio of the VO change and display the bluetooth option on the radio. at this point, you can try to pair your phone and try to make calls. the bluetooth ID of the car is "BMWxxxxx" where "xxxxx" is the last 5 numbers of your VIN.
if you do not see this bluetooth ID and sees something else like "handsfree", then the radio coding did not work properly.

in this case, exit NCSExpert and launch it again this time using revtor's profile. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED WORK AROUND BY CODING EXPERTS but it may solve the problem so you can choose not to do this if you do not feel comfortable with this. go through the steps in the tutorial but skip the adding VO portion (steps 8 to 13). select the 2RAD ecu and click on F4 or the button which says "Read ECU". this will download the current information of the radio module into a file named "FSW_PSW.TRC". copy this file and save it to a safe place as backup. open the FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad and delete ALL the information inside. then select file>save as and save the blank file as "FSW_PSW.MAN". this essentially creates a blank MAN file for coding. then change the coding job to SG_CODIEREN and run the job to code the radio
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #79
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I'm out of it guys, apperently even the dealer cannot get my radio back to work. I'm either going to buy a new radio or live without one.
      10-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I'm out of it guys, apperently even the dealer cannot get my radio back to work. I'm either going to buy a new radio or live without one.
WHATTT??
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #81
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

An update from me.

I'm getting my car coded later today and since I'm a huge procrastinator I just rearranged my MOST bus cables. As soon as I did the Ipod icon showed up on the radio, full Ipod controls through the steering wheel too. For whatever reason it didnt need coding for the 6FL to work.

Bluetooth doesn't work yet though, so I'm still meeting up to get the car coded.

Last edited by Gossypiboma; 10-20-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #82
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Whoever you've got coding for you: pay attention to what cable they use (MOST/big orange box or D-CAN) and find out if you've got 2RAD or 2URAD. I have the latter and can't code this retrofit to save my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #83
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Whoever you've got coding for you: pay attention to what cable they use (MOST/big orange box or D-CAN) and find out if you've got 2RAD or 2URAD. I have the latter and can't code this retrofit to save my life.
Unfortunately I just saw this post. Got my car coded for several things, including BT. I'm not sure if it is going to work or not though as the icon hasnt popped up yet. The person coding my car says that it is common for it to not take effect right away and the car might have to possibly sit overnight before its activated.

He did say though that if it never shows up then he can program the radio with a MOST bus cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #84
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So you're pretty much in my situation. I need to find someone in LA with a MOST cable
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #85
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Don't code the radio with the D-Can cable, thats whats killed my radio, as it just can't code the 2URAD module. I'm trying to decide right now, if I should just buy an aftermarket radio or a newer LCI radio that has both the bluetooth and usb built in. For the time being, I'm living without a radio.
      10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #86
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Don't code the radio with the D-Can cable, thats whats killed my radio, as it just can't code the 2URAD module. I'm trying to decide right now, if I should just buy an aftermarket radio or a newer LCI radio that has both the bluetooth and usb built in. For the time being, I'm living without a radio.

My radio and the USB/AUX works fine after the coding. The car technically is coded for the BT as well, its just not showing up. Not sure which radio I have though. My coder said that on a previous car he did the Bluetooth didn't show up for 3 days, and out of nowhere it started working.

Either way, he has the MOST cable and can program the radio as well if this doesn't fix itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #87
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
My radio and the USB/AUX works fine after the coding. The car technically is coded for the BT as well, its just not showing up. Not sure which radio I have though. My coder said that on a previous car he did the Bluetooth didn't show up for 3 days, and out of nowhere it started working.

Either way, he has the MOST cable and can program the radio as well if this doesn't fix itself.
If I remember correct (I don't have my brochure in front of me), you have to remember that USB option was available 2008 on. Jimmy's and my car are 2007, so the radio's built-in components may not be design to support the USB.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #88
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear the news Jimmy.

If I remember correct (I don't have my brochure in front of me), the USB option was available until 2008 and on. Jimmy's and my car are 2007, so the radio's built-in components may have not been designed to support the USB functionality.
Appreciate 0