E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Dealer is now doing carbon cleaning.

02-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #67
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

V not yet Im at 38k I will do the AMSOIL change soon. I spoke to the rep and he will give us a presentation later since he has sold ALL his machines to the local Honda dealers and truckers. He said BMW in the states are begining to see the benefits of the products, cant wait too hv it done on my car I will post before and after dynos so that we can see IF ANY gains are achieved thru this cleaning!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #68
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
My buddy just had a guy come in this week with a 335d that had 160,000 kms on it. Needed his entire urea tanks replaced as well as a new EGR valve replaced. All out of warranty.

Ouch.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #69
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD
My buddy just had a guy come in this week with a 335d that had 160,000 kms on it. Needed his entire urea tanks replaced as well as a new EGR valve replaced. All out of warranty.

Ouch.
If that happened to me I would just go to JR and get the system removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #70
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD

Ouch.
If that happened to me I would just go to JR and get the system removed.
That's the exact same thing I told him.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #71
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
Don't know about following all recommendations. If I had followed their recommendations, I don't know how long I would have driven without injector plugging. I had trouble driving my car down the city street until the car was fully warm last summer. I started using the additive, went on vacation to California and when I came back, the car was driving like new again.

With this particular winter I am having some idle vibration which I haven't figured out yet if it is temperature related or bad fuel, as it is working its way through and seeming to improve.
Temp right now as I get ready to go to work is -29C. I guess at least this is an easy way to keep the erg closed, but I really don't like the cold.
Vreimann, can you please let me know what additive are you using? Seams that we both deal with extreme cold weather and since you have been using them for some time and you say it works.
My vehicle is going thrue carbon cleanup as we speak so hopefully I will be good to go for some time but that BG Induction Cleanup sounds like a good idea to prevent future problems. Did any one of you had it done yet, how often should this be done, every oil change or once every couple of changes? any idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #72
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Vreimann, can you please let me know what additive are you using? Seams that we both deal with extreme cold weather and since you have been using them for some time and you say it works.
My vehicle is going thrue carbon cleanup as we speak so hopefully I will be good to go for some time but that BG Induction Cleanup sounds like a good idea to prevent future problems. Did any one of you had it done yet, how often should this be done, every oil change or once every couple of changes? any idea?
I have been using 4+ which is sold here at DSG and also at the local Co-Op.

http://www.dieselservices.com/html/p...ives/index.cfm

All the guys at work who drive diesels are using the 4+ arctic and most of them are into the 100k+ on their tdi's.

I am looking to do this clean in the spring. Weather is supposed to warm up the weekend to -2 so I plan to go for a longer drive and burn some of the crap out. Would really prefer the nice 47C I was getting in Vegas last summer.
      02-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #73
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
I have been using 4+ which is sold here at DSG and also at the local Co-Op.

http://www.dieselservices.com/html/p...ives/index.cfm

All the guys at work who drive diesels are using the 4+ arctic and most of them are into the 100k+ on their tdi's.

I am looking to do this clean in the spring. Weather is supposed to warm up the weekend to -2 so I plan to go for a longer drive and burn some of the crap out. Would really prefer the nice 47C I was getting in Vegas last summer.
Thank You sir, I will give it a try for sure, when it comes to TDI, are they direct injected engines?? from what I have learned it is the issue of direct injection problem as nothing gets washed off since no fuel passes thru the valves. Anyway, gonna talk to the stealer and see what they have to suggest, mind you, initially they played this no clue game like I am the first customer with carbon issue
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #74
Crawler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

My SA just mentioned today that they are solvent cleaning intakes on site (due to the lack of new ones from Germany) and send D heads out to a machine shop for cleaning. It was also noted that 335D and X5D are showing up with choked heads with increasing frequency. The supposition that XD's don't have the carbon build up problem is apparently false. Heavy vehicle nor heavy foot will prevent this problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #75
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Thank You sir, I will give it a try for sure, when it comes to TDI, are they direct injected engines?? from what I have learned it is the issue of direct injection problem as nothing gets washed off since no fuel passes thru the valves. Anyway, gonna talk to the stealer and see what they have to suggest, mind you, initially they played this no clue game like I am the first customer with carbon issue
No problem.

All diesels are direct injected and most gassers now too. Some designs are better than others but all at some point or another will eventually build up. My drives are no longer than 20mins except for the summer driving trip which is done briskly. With all this stuff on the diesel I now have this to look forward to this on the direct injected gas car.
      02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #76
Crawler
Private
Rep

Quote:
With all this stuff on the diesel I now have this to look forward to this on the direct injected gas car.
Only if it's turbo'd (with CC vent) and with or without EGR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but DI is not a C buildup threat on it own.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #77
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
Only if it's turbo'd (with CC vent) and with or without EGR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but DI is not a C buildup threat on it own.
every gas engine with DI that isnt using secondary injection has CBU on the valves regardless of boosted or not. Look at the Audi RS4 4.2L (07-08 model) if you want more info on that. Not terribly similar to the caking in the head and manifolds that we are seeing though
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #78
Crawler
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
every gas engine with DI that isnt using secondary injection has CBU on the valves regardless of boosted or not. Look at the Audi RS4 4.2L (07-08 model) if you want more info on that. Not terribly similar to the caking in the head and manifolds that we are seeing though
Where is the source of carbon/oil in this RS4 engine (emissions/CCV)?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Has anybody tried Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment? They say it's good for both gas and diesel engines. They say it's an upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner.

https://www.lucasoil.com/products/di...el%20Treatment

I add about 4oz Stanadyne Performance Formula and 2oz Lubricity additive with every fill.

http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...nceformula.php

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing

Last edited by AirBull; 02-24-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #80
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I used Lucas Oil on my last tank. I actually bought it for the bottle so I can measure better how much additive I put in the tank using something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #81
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
Where is the source of carbon/oil in this RS4 engine (emissions/CCV)?
Source? I don't know that its definitive in any of the gassers really, but there is only filtered air and pcv air, so its either coming from some contaminants in the air or oil from the pcv. Its naturally aspirated with no egr. This is not specific to this Audi engine though, there are plenty of other examples of naturally aspirated DI engines with valve buildup. This is not the same as what ours is though really. Similar, but they only get the buildup on the back of the valve and a bit around the ports, and unlike ours it is very hard and baked on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #82
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
This is not specific to this Audi engine though, there are plenty of other examples of naturally aspirated DI engines with valve buildup.
Funny thing is that I met a guy at my buddy's b-day party last weekend that used to own an old A3 (now drives a Cruze ) and swears that driving hard prevented him from being bitten by the carbon buildup bug. I told him that wasn't the case with from the looks of this forum.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #83
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Funny thing is that I met a guy at my buddy's b-day party last weekend that used to own an old A3 (now drives a Cruze ) and swears that driving hard prevented him from being bitten by the carbon buildup bug. I told him that wasn't the case with from the looks of this forum.
some not DI gas engines that can help stop piston buildup. I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima and it definitely responds to the italian treatment. If you drive around in the 3500-4500 range for a few minutes and then do some amount of full throttle it will make a brown/black cloud out the exhaust where as doing the same full throttle pull without running it hot before hand it wont look like that at all. It has bad piston buildup from running really rich during a period of trying to figure out WTF was wrong so now it responds to that treatment. Plenty of older fuel injected and carb'd engines get buildup like that. Using a spray bottle and misting water into the engine works better though on that kind of buildup usually. The guys with valve buildup have a lot more work, seafoam and similar "soft" chemicals dont do anything, it takes real chemicals or walnut blasting to get that buildup off
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #84
REV335
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335D LCI

We use a Terraclean system in the uk, know of a few people that have had it done and they all say can feel the difference.
Will post video up when I find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #85
REV335
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335D LCI

Terraclean video
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #86
bdwyer
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV335 View Post
We use a Terraclean system in the uk, know of a few people that have had it done and they all say can feel the difference.
Will post video up when I find it.
I did something like this with my old car. 3M makes a fuel system cleaning product. It was really only for injectors though, although they sell others. Don't think that would help much with our issues though as we have DI and the buildup is in the intake system. I'd think twice before running a product like that through our hpfp though. Its designed for gas motors, and As its a strong solvent, I doubt it has much lubricity. I'm thinking the new method of cleaning these involves fogging them out with a solvent and/or irrigating the intake manifold with it. That would explain the required oil change.

http://3mcollision.com/products/clea...ner-08956.html
      02-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #87
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

You can remove a lot of carbon deposits from the piston and combustion chamber using just a water mist (think using a spray bottle at the intake) kind of a similar result to the important part of that terraclean process except you won't get the fuel system cleaning and you probably don't get any cleaning on the exhaust side.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #88
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Has anyone had the BG Diesel Induction Service done yet? It seems like that was/is a promising prospect.

There is a shop near my office (Autotechnic in New Milford, CT) where I am getting M3 control arms installed and alignment and they have the BG Induction Service listed on their website. It doesnt specify for diesel, but I am going to inquire into the service with them and see if they have done in on ny 335d's or X5d's. I will be there in a few weeks and will report back with any details I can get.

Chris
Appreciate 0