E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Intake Valve Cleaning?

03-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Thread killer aka Advanced BMW Repair did the work. Check out the rest of this thread, they are setting up a group buy.

Techron doesn't clean the intake valves because the gas is directly injected.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #46
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread killer View Post
i would LOVE to have one more houston car tomorrow if you are available for a morning drop-off.
I Nafoo's 335 today was "test and tune" for my tools.
I would like to knock one out to judge how long its going to take, now that I know what i have to do, and how long i have work on each cylinder port.

If your intake valves are like Nafoo's..... get this done!

before and after pics:
these were with my phone- my wife took my good camera for her Mary Kay event today
Wow, what a difference! Nice work threadkiller!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
zmt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Model 3 RWD, van

Quote:
i would LOVE to have one more houston car tomorrow if you are available for a morning drop-off.
I Nafoo's 335 today was "test and tune" for my tools.
I would like to knock one out to judge how long its going to take, now that I know what i have to do, and how long i have work on each cylinder port.

If your intake valves are like Nafoo's..... get this done!

before and after pics:
these were with my phone- my wife took my good camera for her Mary Kay event today
Looks good. My car looked significantly more gunky on the valve stems when I cleaned mine @65k. The port walls were about the same though. The stuff on the valves is what really gets you. The after shots are spotless too. Whatever setup you used seemed to do a good job
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #48
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmt View Post
Whatever setup you used seemed to do a good job
Thanks! After cylinder number 3-4 I finally got it down to where I wasnt wasting time and tons of walnut shell lol. The first issue was fine tuning my tools to fit in cylinder 1 and 6 due to space constraints. More cutting and welding lol Second, was efficiently getting the goop out of the intake runners and valve area.

I want to do another houstonites car before I go up to dallas. Heck I want to do a BUNCH of houstonites cars Come on down, folks!
I REALLY want to do it tomorrow, if anyone can let me have their car for a friday. Ill offer up a 50 dollar discount (450 total) for the troubles to have it in the morning.

Im gonna put a patent on my tools:

Thread Killer's walNUT blaster
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #49
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Thread killer aka Advanced BMW Repair did the work. Check out the rest of this thread, they are setting up a group buy.

Techron doesn't clean the intake valves because the gas is directly injected.
Thanks for the tip. I am in San Diego. So you are saying taking it to a shop would do it? I will shop around locally and see how much they are asking for this kind of work.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
thread killer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Thanks for the tip. I am in San Diego. So you are saying taking it to a shop would do it?
get 20 guys to do it out there, ill fly out there and do it over a week's time
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #51
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
get 20 guys to do it out there, ill fly out there and do it over a week's time
hahaha..alright I will take your advise and keep you posted.

Question: What are the symptoms do we experience on our cars before we do this? rough idle, lack of power ..etc? I will also do my seach... just wanted to get your opinion. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
thread killer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
hahaha..alright I will take your advise and keep you posted.

Question: What are the symptoms do we experience on our cars before we do this? rough idle, lack of power ..etc? I will also do my seach... just wanted to get your opinion. Thanks

well, since i dont own a N54 engine, just work on them- I'm pretty tuned into what the general population of N54's do.

Nafoo's N54 to ME ran rough at idle. after the intake cleaning, it was a DEAD ROCK SOLID idle. In fact, i noticed the DME going for the first couple minutes of engine operation. I'm sure because adaptations and internal adjustments for smooth running values were all out of whack, now that air was properly being inducted into the combustion chambers.

He said he was going to run some logs tonight and see if it made a difference. I know in my professional opinion, it definitely did!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #53
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, since i dont own a N54 engine, just work on them- I'm pretty tuned into what the general population of N54's do.

Nafoo's N54 to ME ran rough at idle. after the intake cleaning, it was a DEAD ROCK SOLID idle. In fact, i noticed the DME going for the first couple minutes of engine operation. I'm sure because adaptations and internal adjustments for smooth running values were all out of whack, now that air was properly being inducted into the combustion chambers.

He said he was going to run some logs tonight and see if it made a difference. I know in my professional opinion, it definitely did!
I ran some logs last night and the car is even smoother. I was experiencing a couple timing drops before at WOT, but nothing major. I sent my logs over to Rob@Cobb for analysis. I'll let you know what he thinks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #54
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Rob@Cobb said my timing is all fixed up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #55
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

What about the central Texas guys? Any chance for us to get in on this group buy?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #56
thread killer
Banned
Rep

either come down to houston, or up to dallas and ill take care of you
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #57
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

dallas dallas dallas
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #58
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
resurrecting this thread for good reason..

FYI - Get this done if you have over 45k on the odo.

Read about it if you're unclear as to what this is all about and why its essential if you want your n54 to perform optimally.

So in my search to find out who is going to do this for me, I called Classic BMW in Plano to see how much they would charge to walnut blast my intake. Long story short, its VERY CLEAR to me they are over charging the masses to pay for that nice new building they have. They wanted $1300+ to do it. I gasped.. 'are you sure this is what you charge and you understand what the procedure is?' he said yes, I said good bye!

A bit discouraged, I call BMW of Dallas on Lemmon Ave. I spoke to Peter, who was pretty helpful, and he said they would do it for $576. I was shocked!

This is the cheapest I have ever heard for this service, so I asked him to explain what it is to make sure we were both talking about the same thing and he described it exactly.. (take the intake off, blast the valves will walnut shell media, etc).

Guys, this is the best deal in town so far... Just thought I'd let you all know!

Did you ever go to BMW of Dallas to have the valves cleaned? Did you pay 576? I missed TK last week or I would have had him do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #59
mgarza335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Yeah if you come back up to dallas, im down for you to clean mine after all the pics ive seen. What part of Houston are you located? I got a uncle that lives in Katy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #60
BenġrTheBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Sorry for reviving an old thread but would it be beneficial for a N52 to get this done? Im @ 82k on my 06'
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #61
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenġrTheBMW View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread but would it be beneficial for a N52 to get this done? Im @ 82k on my 06'
i don't think the n52s need it done just because the fuel supply is different fuel supply, i think the fuel would clean your intake valves. but for us our turbos shit oil and no fuel passes over intake valves because the direct injection, therefore the build up occers. you could probably use octane booster or techron to clean yours up
Appreciate 0