E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw E90 320D Msport 2005 Battery warning light showing.

01-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320d msport 2005

Bmw E90 320D Msport 2005 Battery warning light showing.

Quick question people...

My battery warning light is showing on the dash, the sign is currently amber/yellow which means the battery charge level is very low. I believe the battery has never been replace or is as old as my E90 Mpsport which is a 2005 edition.

I just want to know has anyone changed their battery on the 320d???? or how should I go around doing this, should I just go to a local garage and top up the fluid or do I just purchase a brand new battery? if so which battery would you guys recommend???

In addition, if I do have to change the battery, would it affect any of my car electrics such as the car memory e.g. clock, seat memory, auto door lock etc????

Thanks for the help

regards

Nic
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Get a new battery as its what, 7-8 years old.
      01-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

It's a maintenance free battery, get a new one before you get stuck
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic426 View Post
Quick question people...

My battery warning light is showing on the dash, the sign is currently amber/yellow which means the battery charge level is very low. I believe the battery has never been replace or is as old as my E90 Mpsport which is a 2005 edition.

I just want to know has anyone changed their battery on the 320d???? or how should I go around doing this, should I just go to a local garage and top up the fluid or do I just purchase a brand new battery? if so which battery would you guys recommend???

In addition, if I do have to change the battery, would it affect any of my car electrics such as the car memory e.g. clock, seat memory, auto door lock etc????

Thanks for the help

regards

Nic
Before spending money on a new battery, you need to find out if it really is just the battery being worn out or is something else, such as: the IBS (intelligent battery system) or the alternator.

If you've never had an issue with the battery before or changed your driving habits (so battery gets recharged) you may want to get it tested or recharge it yourself with say a CTEK charger. Some of their models let you know if the battery is faulty / cannot recharge fully or hold a full charge.

If you do need a new battery, it's easy to change, lots of diys on net etc and easy to find a Bosch replacement.

www.realoem.com will tell you what battery you have and if your car has IBS.

If it does have IBS, the new battery should be registered to the car to let it know that is has been replaced - the irony of IBS ha, ha. Any person that can perform coding can do this. If you don't register the battery, you might not have any issues if you're lucky but it's not the proper way.

You should not lose all settings as some are stored on the key fob. Some you will, but no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Before spending money on a new battery, you need to find out if it really is just the battery being worn out or is something else, such as: the IBS (intelligent battery system) or the alternator.

If you've never had an issue with the battery before or changed your driving habits (so battery gets recharged) you may want to get it tested or recharge it yourself with say a CTEK charger. Some of their models let you know if the battery is faulty / cannot recharge fully or hold a full charge.

If you do need a new battery, it's easy to change, lots of diys on net etc and easy to find a Bosch replacement.

www.realoem.com will tell you what battery you have and if your car has IBS.

If it does have IBS, the new battery should be registered to the car to let it know that is has been replaced - the irony of IBS ha, ha. Any person that can perform coding can do this. If you don't register the battery, you might not have any issues if you're lucky but it's not the proper way.

You should not lose all settings as some are stored on the key fob. Some you will, but no big deal.
Ive went to my local garage to test the batter the other day, we performed multiple test on the battery in order to find the fault. however the test proved the battery is in good working order with no sign of weakness or being faulty.

The guy said there was no need to purchase a new battery as I have no problem starting the car in hot or cold weather.

The most irritating thing is that when I start my car up from time to time, the dash will show the battery symbol in amber. It just annoying as I dont know wither it is my local garage incompetent or is there some kind of problem with my car sensors or the battery itself. but I do not have any problem starting the car what so ever.

thanks for the advice my friend, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
nicnic426
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Have you recently disconnected your battery for any reason? I had this light come on my old 2005 118d M-Sport but knew that the battery was fine. When you do d/c the battery it does often throw up some errors on the dash. Have you tried taking the car for a cruise down the motorway at 60mph? That's what cleared mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I'd take battery testers and IBS things with a pinch of salt. My old M3 was having random electrical gremlins. Tested the battery-fine, the indicator light on the top was green, no problems starting etc etc.........however I changed the battery for a new one anyway and all the problems went away instantly.

I say change it - its not going to break the bank and even if it doesn't cure your immediate problem, you've got a new battery which you would most likely need at some point anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic426 View Post
Ive went to my local garage to test the batter the other day, we performed multiple test on the battery in order to find the fault. however the test proved the battery is in good working order with no sign of weakness or being faulty.

The guy said there was no need to purchase a new battery as I have no problem starting the car in hot or cold weather.

The most irritating thing is that when I start my car up from time to time, the dash will show the battery symbol in amber. It just annoying as I dont know wither it is my local garage incompetent or is there some kind of problem with my car sensors or the battery itself. but I do not have any problem starting the car what so ever.

thanks for the advice my friend, much appreciated.
The passenger mirror in my car would not return to it's memorised setting after folding the mirrors or after dipping when reversing. Upon start-up, the car would not remember what audio source was playing previously and would default to analogue radio and muted - IBS in full effect. I then got a low battery warning. Never any issues to start the engine though. After reading a post by Del on m3cutters and a bit of research, I bought a CTEK 7000 series charger. Yes the battery was a bit low on charge but nothing drastic and it recharged fine with no issues. Since then the mirror remembers again as does the audio source etc and all has been well.
Appreciate 0