E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bc or megans ..only between the two

10-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
bimmertwin35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e

Smile Bc or megans ..only between the two

looking to get one of the two ..please need reviews of people actually running these and also which goes lower ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
bimmertwin35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

COILOVERS

Bc racing or megan racing coilovera btw
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Viper3812
Banned
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

No experience, but BC Racing from what I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I've got a set of BC's I picked them over ST V1's for a couple reasons first BC is a local company so help is very close if something went wrong second I liked the fact they were adjustable settings for ride comfort. As a daily commute I am ten clicks always from full soft and on autocross days I'm 5 clicks from full hard and I must say the ride quality is not bad at all coming from stock non-sport suspension. It stays nice and flat in the curves and gives me a lot more confidence in the cars handling. Unfortunately I am still on stock run craps and once those come off I'm sure the ride will get even better! Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
bimmertwin35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker View Post
I've got a set of BC's I picked them over ST V1's for a couple reasons first BC is a local company so help is very close if something went wrong second I liked the fact they were adjustable settings for ride comfort. As a daily commute I am ten clicks always from full soft and on autocross days I'm 5 clicks from full hard and I must say the ride quality is not bad at all coming from stock non-sport suspension. It stays nice and flat in the curves and gives me a lot more confidence in the cars handling. Unfortunately I am still on stock run craps and once those come off I'm sure the ride will get even better! Hope this helps

Thanks guys for input...also how low would you. Say it would go ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker
So you would get BCs over STs? i was thinking of gettig STs since no one gave me feedback on BCs. i have a lot of friends running BCs on Evos and STIs but i wasnt sure what to go with for a BMW platform. how do you like yours? which coilovers did you get, br-type?

also, STs are not ride-comfort adjustable?
      10-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm on 19's and if I wanted to I could tuck my tires but I prefer to have the sit just at the edge of the tire so the rubbing isn't so constant.... But in terms of max low I believe you could tuck tires on 18s too if that's your thing

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
bimmertwin35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm on 19's and if I wanted to I could tuck my tires but I prefer to have the sit just at the edge of the tire so the rubbing isn't so constant.... But in terms of max low I believe you could tuck tires on 18s too if that's your thing
Im also on 19s but im trying to deff be tire tucking i want to be pretty dumped
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
So you would get BCs over STs? i was thinking of gettig STs since no one gave me feedback on BCs. i have a lot of friends running BCs on Evos and STIs but i wasnt sure what to go with for a BMW platform. how do you like yours? which coilovers did you get, br-type?

also, STs are not ride-comfort adjustable?
Yes I would recommend BC due to the fact that being damping adjustable has been more important to me than I original thought it would be. I also found very little feedback on BC's but the owner of the shop I go to highly recommended them and even offered to take them back if I didn't like them. So I went for it and am extremely pleased with the results. One thing worth mentioning is make sure you buy the extended adjustable knobs for the rear because pulling apart that entire trunk every time you want to adjust them is a real PITA.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizz1617 View Post
Im also on 19s but im trying to deff be tire tucking i want to be pretty dumped
Then BC's should work just fine for you

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Yes I would recommend BC due to the fact that being damping adjustable has been more important to me than I original thought it would be. I also found very little feedback on BC's but the owner of the shop I go to highly recommended them and even offered to take them back if I didn't like them. So I went for it and am extremely pleased with the results. One thing worth mentioning is make sure you buy the extended adjustable knobs for the rear because pulling apart that entire trunk every time you want to adjust them is a real PITA.
Thanks for the info, good idea!
      10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
go for BC, Megans to me is Ebay brand but that just my personal opinion
      10-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Since i have stock suspension, will i be able to get a much stiffer and more planted feeling with BCs? I really just want something that will get lower and be stiffer/firmer/confident.
      10-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Since i have stock suspension, will i be able to get a much stiffer and more planted feeling with BCs? I really just want something that will get lower and be stiffer/firmer/confident.
It sounds like you don't know anything about coils and are looking for a better experience across all categories. Go with ST's. BC's are for people who want low, mainly.

ST's are under $1000, comfortable, and handle well.
      10-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
looking to get one of the two ..please need reviews of people actually running these and also which goes lower ?

-e30 megans and bc coilovers look strikingly similar and some speculate
are made from the same place. -- As for the E90 coilovers
idk - report back if u do try them.

someone mentioned ST coils - I would look at KW V1.
they're the same, being made by KW but the difference
is the material.

Quote:
from ST page:
ST Speedtech Coilovers are constructed of high grade steel, and heavy galvanized for great rust protection.
KW Coilovers are made from INOX stainless steel, which is 100% rust free.
I would say go with KW V1 over ST's because your on the east coast.
Stainless steel 100 rust free better for you. West coast guys ST.

For years for our E9x - ideal coilover setups would be KWs and billsteins.
Another ideal setup would be koni yellows and HR Springs. Then you're looking into AST's, TCKines, Ohlins and Motons, etc. for track performance. That's all re-searchable

megans and bc do offer an attractive price and they are
the new budget alternative but their reputation for E90's
is somewhat new. Proceed accordingly.
good luck.
      10-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can assure you these coilovers will give you just want your looking for I wanted the same exact thing. It will however will take some time to find what settings are best for you. When I daily drive I'm closer to soft and tracking is obviously closer to firm. Just take a couple of weeks playing with settings till you find your sweet spot.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
TheJacka
Private
Rep
Drives: PilotLife

I went with ST and regretted the purchase. The ST's are springy/bouncy when on the lower settings, but at "stock" ride height it had a much more compliant ride. But I was still not happy at all. They are now on my GF's car. Keep in mind these do not have camber plates and use progressive springs. This was my first time going progressive which also contributed to my dislike for the ST's.

I now have Koni Yellow w/ H&R springs but will be switching to AST 4200 & Swift springs.
But between ST and BC... BC without a doubt.

2016 BMW S1000RR - BrenTuning - Akrapovic - Attack - Rizoma - Graves
2009 E92 335I / 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
bimmertwin35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJacka View Post
I went with ST and regretted the purchase. The ST's are springy/bouncy when on the lower settings, but at "stock" ride height it had a much more compliant ride. But I was still not happy at all. They are now on my GF's car. Keep in mind these do not have camber plates and use progressive springs. This was my first time going progressive which also contributed to my dislike for the ST's.

I now have Koni Yellow w/ H&R springs but will be switching to AST 4200 & Swift springs.
But between ST and BC... BC without a doubt.

Thanks alot guys for all the input .i think i made my desicion to go with BC i want to be very low but still maintain a nice ride quality
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks alot guys for all the input .i think i made my desicion to go with BC i want to be very low but still maintain a nice ride quality
Check These Out

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764894

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
I think i made the decision to go with BCs as well. Thanks!
      11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

BC and Megan Racing aren't "name brands". LOL

I was just talking to a friend about this earlier this week about how the hell they became "name brands" from low level knockoffs. I can't say they're "complete shit" for quality, but you should realize that a majority of these coilovers from non-suspension companies get their parts manufactured from the same place in China and Taiwan. Comparing Megan Racing to KW (even ST line) amazes me. I'm almost offended on KW's behalf. ahahahha

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
fhblake04
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

http://blog.modernperformance.com/di...egan-coilovers

This was from my SRT days, but good information none the less. I STILL can't believe a suspension "giant" like KW doesn't make coilovers with independent height adjustment. If you lower a car with coilovers like the ST's and KW's, you're adding a pre-laod to the springs. Then wondered why your ride quality suffered or they were a little bouncy, this is why. Ride in a car with independent height adjustment and things will become clearer.
Appreciate 0