E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > [Problem] - Gearbox judder ???

12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat

[Problem] - Gearbox judder ???

I have a small problem with my gearbox, all my gearchanges are smooth as silk except for one specific situation, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ...

I drive an e-map 335d E90, 57 Plate, 26,000 miles

The problem arises when :

I put the car in Sport set the gear manually to 2nd and raise the revs to 2500rpm, if I then change up to 3rd the car momentarilly jumps forward and then settles down ???

No matter what else I do this is the only combination that causes the gear change to be noticeable, at all other revs, manual or automatic gearchange is very smooth.

Anyone any idea what this might be ? Could this be a mechanical problem or would a reset, software change sort the problem ? Could this be remap related ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Couple of questions -

First, has this always happened, or have you only just started noticing it? In conjunction with that, have you always driven this way to 2500rpm in 2nd then change into 3rd manually, or is this something you've only started doing recently?

Given what you are saying in that elsewhere in the rev range and with other gear change combinations, this jerk isn't arising, it is very unlikely that it is to do with the remap. I am 99.99% sure that Simon, nor any of the main UK tuners, remap the ZF gearbox, as I understand there are only a couple of people in Europe with the technical knowhow, and more importantly the time, to do that. Therefore the gearchange program itself will not have been altered. What is most likely is that the throttle and gearbox adaptations within both the main vehicle ECU and the gearbox ECU will need resetting, so that it 'learns' again your driving style. This is a very simple thing to do, although will need a visit to a good Autologic or GT1 equipped independent, or of course a friendly BMW dealer. It is a less than ten minute process, and you should notice the difference immediately.

It is almost certainly not a mechanical problem with the gearbox itself, as the jerk should manifest itself elsewhere in the gearbox range. Similarly, I doubt it is anything to do with the torque limitation software within the gearbox - even if EMaps did raise the torque limitation value within the gearbox software (which is possible) it is certain that this jerk will happen in other more 'sporting' gear changes.

So.... my 2p would be ECU/throttle adaptations, as the starting point...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat

Tony thanks for the quick reply ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Couple of questions -

First, has this always happened, or have you only just started noticing it? In conjunction with that, have you always driven this way to 2500rpm in 2nd then change into 3rd manually, or is this something you've only started doing recently?
I only have only just noticed it, so I'm not too sure if this has always been there, normal day to day driving (i.e my wife) you would never know, I drive with the paddles most of the time and as such at 30 mph going out of our village I started to notice it.

Quote:
Given what you are saying in that elsewhere in the rev range and with other gear change combinations, this jerk isn't arising, it is very unlikely that it is to do with the remap. I am 99.99% sure that Simon, nor any of the main UK tuners, remap the ZF gearbox, as I understand there are only a couple of people in Europe with the technical knowhow, and more importantly the time, to do that. Therefore the gearchange program itself will not have been altered. What is most likely is that the throttle and gearbox adaptations within both the main vehicle ECU and the gearbox ECU will need resetting, so that it 'learns' again your driving style. This is a very simple thing to do, although will need a visit to a good Autologic or GT1 equipped independent, or of course a friendly BMW dealer. It is a less than ten minute process, and you should notice the difference immediately.
Spoke to Simon, he doesn't touch the gearbox. Do you think BMW might start looking for a remap ? or even charge for such a procedure ?

Quote:
It is almost certainly not a mechanical problem with the gearbox itself, as the jerk should manifest itself elsewhere in the gearbox range. Similarly, I doubt it is anything to do with the torque limitation software within the gearbox - even if EMaps did raise the torque limitation value within the gearbox software (which is possible) it is certain that this jerk will happen in other more 'sporting' gear changes.

So.... my 2p would be ECU/throttle adaptations, as the starting point...
Is there a way to reset the gearbox, I did read a thread where you could hold the accelerator down for 30 seconds when the engine wasn't running and this supposedly reset the box ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
Tony thanks for the quick reply ;-)

Spoke to Simon, he doesn't touch the gearbox. Do you think BMW might start looking for a remap ? or even charge for such a procedure ?

Is there a way to reset the gearbox, I did read a thread where you could hold the accelerator down for 30 seconds when the engine wasn't running and this supposedly reset the box ?
I doubt BMW will start looking for a remap, but I wouldn't be able to say for certain. You could try going in and telling them the gearbox is a bit jerky, and ask if they could reset the adaptations for you. If they say they need to update the software, tell them you don't want to do that as you don't want to risk the car developing other troubles (you can always say that a friend of yours had the software update done and didn't get on with it very well...) They shouldn't charge you for the process as it's such a quick job - the car goes in the workshop, the GT1/ISIS machine gets plugged in, and a button pressed to reset the adaptations. Make sure that both the ECU and gearbox adaptations are done.

And no, you can't do the 30-second trick - doesn't work with the new 6 speed ZF boxes, only the old 5-speed ones (and even then, not all of them - depending on gearbox software and iteration!)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
blastergod
Rep
Drives: e92 335d

Hello guys,
I know this is a very old thread, and sorry for reviving it.
But I don't yet have access to send pm's to BoBBoB.

I have a bmw e92 335d that has THE EXACT same symptom. BoBBoB, did you find an answer for your problem? I would greatly appreciate your resolution.

Thanks,
Vlad
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
lpopescu07
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 330xd e92

Hello guys,

I have the exact problem. Did you found the fix for it?

br,
Lucian
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
blastergod
Rep
Drives: e92 335d

salut, sunt din timisoara, am rwzolvat problema eu.

hello,
i have reset the learning adaptations of the gearbox and the problem dissappeared.
Appreciate 0