E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Active Differential Brake

01-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Active Differential Brake

Tried posting in the 1series [f20] forum but had no response,
Just noticed in the spec list for the new 1 series [F20] that it has an ,"Active Differential Brake" [ADB sport] Diff Lock, which is active when DSC is turned off,
As DSC is usually turned off in snowy or icy conditions is this meant to give better traction when slippery ?
Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

its just a function of the DSC. its not mechanical- its the DSC making a virtual "differential lock"

its meant for mad drifting- yo lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Bugger ! Was hoping it would help with the awful winter driving characteristics
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

it all depends on how you drive and apply yourself with the vehicle. its amazing the confidence a BMW will inspire a person to drive past their comfort zone unintentionally..... and sometimes with out knowing it - until its too late.

i have driven in the snow a lot, and without much effort. i grew up with a 4x4 truck ever since i was a young teen. i have been off-roading my entire life. i had a off road volkswagen when i was 12, so maybe being able to drive on slippery/uncommon roads is second nature for me.

that being said- you can never get past the laws of physics, and no matter how much "help" the car gives you- its not going to save a person who cant drive in the first place.

example: houston texas froze over last year. black ice was on every single overpass.
there were WAY TOO MANY people who shouldn't have been driving, or have had their car on the road due to inexperience and vehicle condition.

I had no issues in my 4x4 f250, and only needed to use the 4wheel drive to navigate up a banking sloped over pass that was littered with vehicles that didnt make it up and slid down into each other.

its all in how you apply it.
Appreciate 0