E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Best Driving Sedan on Earth

04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Best Driving Sedan on Earth

In a review of the 135is, road & track mentions the E90....

"The 135is is our undisputed favorite BMW of the moment. Is it dramatically new? No. It's one of the oldest cars in Munich's stable, and it hasn't changed significantly since the 135i debuted in 2008. Back then, it had the misfortune of being born in the shadow of the contemporary (E90-chassis) 3-series, which was the best car in its class by an autobahn mile and perhaps the best-driving sedan on earth. Now that we've had time to settle in with the E90's bigger, softer, more disconnected replacement, the F30 Three, the E90-based 1-series reminds us just how good the old days really were."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...tm_source=t.co

It really is a special car to me.

1. It has enough of the modern day tech that I need. Great xenons that follow the road. iPhone hookup via USB (so it doesn't matter if its an iPhone 4/5) or Bluetooth. Satellite, traffic. Hdd on board, which I use daily, great sound quality (HK at least). Navigation is solid, and it doesn't look like an afterthought.

2. The chassis is great. The body style is superb, espcially with m pkg. The car is the right size. Sport suspension is good enough for aggressive street use. Steering feel is excellent. I love the big M wheel. It doesn't have an ugly front end with oddly connected headlamps.

3. The cruise control is stalk based, not on the steering wheel. The volume control is on the LH side of the steering wheel - perfect!

4. We got a diesel with 400 trq from the factory!!!!! I still can't believe it.

Last edited by Ryebread; 04-04-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
In a review of the 135is, road & track mentions the E90....

"The 135is is our undisputed favorite BMW of the moment. Is it dramatically new? No. It's one of the oldest cars in Munich's stable, and it hasn't changed significantly since the 135i debuted in 2008. Back then, it had the misfortune of being born in the shadow of the contemporary (E90-chassis) 3-series, which was the best car in its class by an autobahn mile and perhaps the best-driving sedan on earth. Now that we've had time to settle in with the E90's bigger, softer, more disconnected replacement, the F30 Three, the E90-based 1-series reminds us just how good the old days really were."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...tm_source=t.co

It really is a special car to me.

1. It has enough of the modern day tech that I need. Great xenons that follow the road. iPhone hookup via USB (so it doesn't matter if its an iPhone 4/5) or Bluetooth. Satellite, traffic. Hdd on board, which I use daily, great sound quality (HK at least). Navigation is solid, and it doesn't look like an afterthought.

2. The chassis is great. The body style is superb, espcially with m pkg. The car is the right size. Sport suspension is good enough for aggressive street use. Steering feel is excellent. I love the big M wheel. It doesn't have an ugly front end with oddly connected headlamps.

3. The cruise control is stalk based, not on the steering wheel.

4. We got a diesel with 400 trq from the factory!!!!! I still can't believe it.
Yes, its kind of if you close your eyes and decide what you would want in a car - start with the e90 3 series, uh, make it a diesel, uh, 3 liter 6 inline, uh, twin turbo.... etc.

PL
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

doubt we can find anything outhere like ours until AUDI comes up with theirs out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm a former Audi guy, through and through. But I am not in love with any of their sedans. Too much wheel gap, even on S cars. Awd < Rwd for me. Overpriced. Unpowered.
      04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
I'm a former Audi guy, through and through. But I am not in love with any of their sedans. Too much wheel gap, even on S cars. Awd < Rwd for me. Overpriced. Unpowered.
I find the S4 pretty damn sexy on their sedan lineup and the A7 is starting to grow on me. I agree with the overpricing though. What did you used to drive and why did you make the switch?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze
Quote:
I'm a former Audi guy, through and through. But I am not in love with any of their sedans. Too much wheel gap, even on S cars. Awd &lt; Rwd for me. Overpriced. Unpowered.
I find the S4 pretty damn sexy on their sedan lineup and the A7 is starting to grow on me. I agree with the overpricing though. What did you used to drive and why did you make the switch?
I drove the 2012 S4 last summer when still deciding, and thought it was very nice. But went with the 335d mainly because of MPG and maintenance cost during first couple of years. Plus I was pretty much fixed on diesel.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have experienced some very odd electrical issues with VAG cars (more than 1 car, both mid to late 2000's), which was quite frustrating.

I wanted to move from AWD to RWD.

My commutes are 50/50 city/hwy. Diesel helps me there (much better city).

Fit and finish are close, Audi vs. Bmw. I'd give the nod to the E90 over B8-A4. Not sure about the F30, I really doubt it based on what I've seen thus far.

S-cars and S-line, again, even the sport suspension on Audi, WAY too much wheel gap. (AWD)

I really don't like the B8-A4 body. It looks like a bar of soap.

I do not like what they started in 2006 (for all models) with that huge, vertical, center grill.
pic:

audi by Ryan Philly, on Flickr

With all of that said, if I could only have 1 car and I lived in CO, MN, MA, I would probably consider an S4, lol.

Last edited by Ryebread; 04-04-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0