Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > First tire (tyre?)puncture!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

First tire (tyre?)puncture!

I was totally taken by surprise. I had just left home when the red tyre symbol started to flash and pling. Stopped by the road side but did not notice anything wrong with the tyres on quick inspection and kicking around to check for pressure. Thinking it to be a false alarm, drove 2km to the nearby BMW garage and asked them to have a look. We found a nail in my rear right tyre and the tyre had actually sunk a bit by now! Just goes to show how good and quick the tyre deflate warning system is. The only problem is that it does not tell you which one has deflated and it can be a little difficult to judge sometimes (think of cold wintry dark night by the road side). I wonder, why it does not tell you which side has the puncture. I am sure, the system knows that.

I don't know yet if they are going to repair it or what. These RFTs are expensive!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
correct me if im wrong i think the 7 series tells you which tire lol.

but glad to hear that youre ok
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

If you have iDrive, I'm pretty sure going into the TPM system sub-menu will bring up a display that actually does tell you which tire is deflated.

Let us know how it goes repairing them. A lot of people on the forums have complained that run flats are too expensive to replace, and that shops have refused to repair them. I've had the opposite experience, where my local mechanic repaired 5 punctures for $20, so I'm curious if I was just lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

It is true, the I-drive will bring up the screen and show you which tire has loss of air. I think it's a cool feature and a good one to have. As far as fixing flats on RFT tires...Don't believe everything BMW dealer tells you, use your common sence, dealer wants to sell you new tire. No dealer will ever bother to fix a flat for you, it's only $20, so why would they bother. Anyways, in 3 years of owning my 335i, I must have had 20-30 flats, nails, staples, screws...all of them I fixed at a small, independent "Flats Fixed" shop, never ever had a problem with tire after. I is however somewhat difficult to remove and remount RFT tire on and off the rim, but they manage. I even bought slightly used Potenza RFT at those shops for $75 including mount and balance...and I never had problem with those...and that is a good deal! Those brand new tires are $500 a piece at the dealer! Or, $350 at "Tirerack.com" for new tire. When you buy new tire its old again after you drive for 3 or 5 k miles, so it makes sence to put on slightly used, broken in tire. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Tye11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
It is true, the I-drive will bring up the screen and show you which tire has loss of air. I think it's a cool feature and a good one to have. As far as fixing flats on RFT tires...Don't believe everything BMW dealer tells you, use your common sence, dealer wants to sell you new tire. No dealer will ever bother to fix a flat for you, it's only $20, so why would they bother. Anyways, in 3 years of owning my 335i, I must have had 20-30 flats, nails, staples, screws...all of them I fixed at a small, independent "Flats Fixed" shop, never ever had a problem with tire after. I is however somewhat difficult to remove and remount RFT tire on and off the rim, but they manage. I even bought slightly used Potenza RFT at those shops for $75 including mount and balance...and I never had problem with those...and that is a good deal! Those brand new tires are $500 a piece at the dealer! Or, $350 at "Tirerack.com" for new tire. When you buy new tire its old again after you drive for 3 or 5 k miles, so it makes sence to put on slightly used, broken in tire. Cheers!
I had runflats for all of 2 weeks until i got my first puncture then decided to switch to new rims and tires. I paid for a brand new tire at the dealer because I had a small nail in the tire he told me I could get it patched but if I drive a lot over 60 mph it would be dangerous. Now a lot of my driving is highway so I listened to him and got a new one. Would I have been okay just getting it patched?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

I'm not going to lie, I've had a leak in my right rear tire for over a year now on my stock RFT's. About every 2-3 days it drops from 40psi to 30psi and I get the red indicator. I keep an eye on the sidewall just for safety purposes, but it all honesty they are perfectly fine. I can tell you if this was a normal non-RFT tire I would have had to replace it already. So I've had great success from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye11 View Post
Now a lot of my driving is highway so I listened to him and got a new one. Would I have been okay just getting it patched?
Probably, yes. I've put about 8,000 miles on my car after my run flat was patched, and I haven't had any problems. 300 of those miles were on a round trip to Ocean City and back, a good portion of which I spent at over 70mph, and a few times up to 100 when I felt I could get away with it. I haven't had any problems at all. My mechanic said that all I need to do differently from before I got the tire patched is to avoid driving through construction sites (he was joking, because the tire had 5 punctures).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Your mileage may vary, but I had Conti RFTs patched early on in their life, and I'm about to replace all four because I have 36K on them. It all depends on WHERE the puncture is. Center of the first sipe, you should be fine, but the dealer won't fix it for you. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

OK been to the tyre dealer first. He refused to patch it because the nail hole is too close to the edge. He did not have the Continental RFT tyres so back to the BMW garage. They said the same thing. They had the tyres but at the central dealer and no price had been decided yet. Wait till tomorrow, they said. It will have to be ordered from the central dealer. When i pointed out to them that I could probably get it shipped from Germany faster and cheaper, they said "this one is specially made for BMW since it has a star marking on the side of the tyre". Never heard of that one before!!
Checked on the internet and found the same tyre (without the BMW star!) for about 125 Euro shipped and all from "däck on line", see link below. Xtra 30 Euro to mount it here in Sweden on the rim and balance it. I am now waiting to see how much BMW is going to quote tomorrow.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...n=So&RunFlat=1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

You should be able to find the BMW "star" tires at any tire dealer. At least in the US BMW does not have exclusive rights to sell them. The star is a simple way to determine that this is a BMW approved tire. I don't know if their is a real difference or not. I dumped my RFT's for this and several other reasons and I am loving conventional tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

update.
Bmw is asking 170 euro for a RFT of the same kind (continental), mounted and balanced. I think it is a reasonable price seeing that the internet tyre shop is asking for 160 Euros for the same thing. Less hassle at the BMW dealer and it is only 2-3 km from my house.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
info@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

how much tread did you have left on the damaged tire? Well, a better question is how many miles have you put on these RFT tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty@VMRWheels View Post
how much tread did you have left on the damaged tire? Well, a better question is how many miles have you put on these RFT tires?
The tyre was almost new. The car had just only done 3000Km. Just my bad luck I guess. For the winter tyres I have bought non RFT Nokian RSI (100 euros each). They are much cheaper! I had to buy the slime smart puncture repair kit as well (40 Euros).
Appreciate 0