E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i... why wont this car give me a code.....

07-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
NRudy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

335i... why wont this car give me a code.....

Hi guys.

Ive had a 335i for almost 4 months, in this time ive had 2 new turbos, 1 new pre cat O2 sensor and both vanos solenoids swapped over and cleaned. 2 oil changes, 1 brake fluid change and filters changed.

Work done was worth around £3000+... now after that you would think all is fine and well no....

My final problem is a wobble on idle sometimes it doesnt hold the revs higher to warm up again on startup or when slowing down and revs go low it sounds like air or something is gargling through the exhaust....

now the car wont throw up any codes at all, i have a rattle on acceleration but only on occasion, its not there all the time and only needs medium throttle to hear it but then it goes (doesnt seem to be wastegate as the turbos are new and its below 3000rpm) when the car warms up the problems fade a little but the wobble exhaust note stutter is still there.

My indy said to drive it hard and it should throw something up but it doesnt. it pulls as it should (or i assume it does). I mean it held onto a 2015 A45 AMG and stayed with an RS6 to around 60 (at which point that pulled away like a monster unsuprisingly).

I dont really drive the car hard at all evident by the 28mpg combined im currently enjoying but these last few things are starting to annoy me. I always try to maintain my car well but these problems seem like gremlins that nobody can diagnose.

My plugs only have 25k on them and the indy didnt recommend changing them either. BMW point blank refuse to clean my inlets unless there a code, so really i need a code before my warranty or indy can do anything.

anyone have any ideas what my next steps could be?

Last edited by NRudy; 07-29-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

So dealer not going to clean your inlets?
Do you mean intake ports?
If so..... The go to another dealer or Indy?

OK, here is the quick way to check if your intake ports are dirty?
Ask to pay for 1 hour Diagnostic to have them use a borescope to take pictures of all. Or few random ports.
Make sure you post those pictures here....as them to email it to you.

Then you know for sure if the intake ports are the cause or not.

DN
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:49 AM   #3
NRudy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thanks DN,

I'm curious though, would clogged inlet ports cause long cranks also?

I mean the ports could be part of the problem but id imagine the cranks are to do with something else.

My indy said it could be fuel pump but ive had this for around 3 months and its never given a code.

only codes i have had is low boost pressure, exhaust vanos jamming/sticking and o2 sensor, all of which i've had fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Look up HPFP issue in 335i and it is related....no sure if it through a code either.
Before going to dealer.....make sure you get uninstall any tune mods.
Like jb4, or Cobb's.

But please, before diagnosing any miss fire issues...at all.....get a walnut blast done.
Sound like your car never had it.
Every 50k miles, you have to get it done.....it is part of maintenance now.

DN
Appreciate 0