E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > RB Rotors - Brake pads?

05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

RB Rotors - Brake pads?

So I got myself those beautiful rotors at all 4 corners with Porterfield R4 S pads. I just had a track day with 7 x 20 min sessions at LCMT. Much more consistent braking than the OEM rotors + Cool Carbon pads.

Only thing, I have used over 50% of the front pads. The rears roughly 1/3. I also noticed metal filings sticking to the calipers. Looks like the slots are chumping off the pads. Any thoughts? Maybe harder pad compound for longer track life? Otherwise 2-day events will require a new set of pads each time.

Is track only pads the solution for track and changing to softer material for street?
      05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
So I got myself those beautiful rotors at all 4 corners with Porterfield R4 S pads. I just had a track day with 7 x 20 min sessions at LCMT. Much more consistent braking than the OEM rotors + Cool Carbon pads.

Only thing, I have used over 50% of the front pads. The rears roughly 1/3. I also noticed metal filings sticking to the calipers. Looks like the slots are chumping off the pads. Any thoughts? Maybe harder pad compound for longer track life? Otherwise 2-day events will require a new set of pads each time.

Is track only pads the solution for track and changing to softer material for street?
If you're serious about tracking the car, which it seems you are by getting the RB rotors. Get some real track compound, PFCs, Hawk DTC 70 or 60s, Carbotechs, Pagids, Endless to name a few. You'll notice a huge difference in stopping power and consistency/performance.

Carbotechs are easier on rotors, but wear faster, it's a trade off on what's more expensive to replace.

Hawk DTC are very aggressive on rotors, also last a bit longer pad wise, but performance decreases as the pad gets thinner.

PFC01 are great, or the 08s for their endurance compound, which lasts a long time.

The Pagids and Endless are also endurance based compounds but very expensive as well.

I've used Hawks, and are now using Carbotech XP16/12 Front/Rear, they perform really well. May try the Pagid RS29s after the Carbotechs are done just to compare.

EDIT:

I keep a set of front floating rotors just for the track, and always switch out pads street/track for the events on all four corners.
      05-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

My Cobalt XR3s lasted 1.5 seasons (about 15 days) on RB rotors, and the DTC-60s are looking like they'll last at least 2 full seasons (20 days). It's not the rotors. It's the pad. The R4 S is far closer to the Cool Carbon than it is to a full track pad.

Granted my car is about 300 lbs lighter.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
My Cobalt XR3s lasted 1.5 seasons (about 15 days) on RB rotors, and the DTC-60s are looking like they'll last at least 2 full seasons (20 days). It's not the rotors. It's the pad. The R4 S is far closer to the Cool Carbon than it is to a full track pad.

Granted my car is about 300 lbs lighter.
Looking like I have no choice but to change to track pads trackside. Thanks for your input. Any idea how PFC 97 or 08 fare on track and on street?
      05-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

I found out the hard way Carbotech pads (XP-10) are not compatible with RB rotors. Uneven deposits on rotor. See RB's forum for details.

I have all 4 corners PFC-08 pads new in the box. Should be compatible with RB according to my research. PM me if interested.
      06-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
chad29
Rep
Drives: 325i

I have no association with RB but I thought it important to provide technical information regarding Bro's comments above. Based on his conclusion that the rotors were the issue - which would be extremely unusual in my extensive track experience, I went to the RB website to review the "comments in the forums".

I was not surprised to find exactly what I suspected - some folks did not understand that pad transfer is the result of the pads being operated outside the proper temp range for the pad and thus the pad smears and adheres to the rotor. Additional brake cooling and or changing to a proper heat range pad can prevent the over-heating of the pad material and transfer to the rotor.

This has also been the case with OEM BMW and aftermarket rotors when the incorrect pads for the conditions are used. In Pro racing many teams change pad compounds, rotors and brake duct cooling for each track and ambient temps.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=73
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Bump, was hoping more owners could chime in and share which pads work best on the RB rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Update: Both HP+ and PFC 08 seem to work well with the rotors, with minimal pad wear. The Porterfield R4 S was just too soft for track driving.
      02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Not sure about XP16, but XP12 was definitely not enough for our heavy cars from my exp.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Quote:
Update: Both HP+ and PFC 08 seem to work well with the rotors, with minimal pad wear. The Porterfield R4 S was just too soft for track driving.
I'm glad to hear that the PFC 08s work well. Did you have to order the rotors/PFC pads from the states, or is there a Canadian vendor?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
I'm glad to hear that the PFC 08s work well. Did you have to order the rotors/PFC pads from the states, or is there a Canadian vendor?
For the pads I am sure you can check local vendors for the PFC orders. I think the PFC takes time to get, so order early and keep some spare. The rotors are from Racing Brake in the US. Either directly from RB or US vendors such as HP Autowerks.

For the PFC 08, those do not come with metal brackets behind the pad. So the pad is loose and may be very noisy for city driving. My mechanic fabbed me a little metal wedge to eliminate the pad play and hence got rid of the noise...
      03-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
For the pads I am sure you can check local vendors for the PFC orders. I think the PFC takes time to get, so order early and keep some spare. The rotors are from Racing Brake in the US. Either directly from RB or US vendors such as HP Autowerks.

For the PFC 08, those do not come with metal brackets behind the pad. So the pad is loose and may be very noisy for city driving. My mechanic fabbed me a little metal wedge to eliminate the pad play and hence got rid of the noise...
PFC08's now come with the metal springs, at least for the front pads!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
PFC08's now come with the metal springs, at least for the front pads!
Great! I'll order some eventually, my current ones haven't been used that much.

How are you Harold? You remember I got the RB rotors from you, did you sell a few of those RB aluminum calipers? I think the only issue I had with them was pad choices, do you get PFC 08 in that pad shape, I think 1149 or something?

Thanks
      03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Great! I'll order some eventually, my current ones haven't been used that much.

How are you Harold? You remember I got the RB rotors from you, did you sell a few of those RB aluminum calipers? I think the only issue I had with them was pad choices, do you get PFC 08 in that pad shape, I think 1149 or something?

Thanks
No, I didn't. The problem I have is with pad choice as well, very limited.

Harold
Appreciate 0