E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Factory alarm?

11-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratesbmw View Post
You get an insurance break with or without the alarm, you already have a vehicle recovery feature standard, that trumps any alarm. And it would probably be better to say that alarms are pointless more than to say they are useless. The do in fact make a sound when you lock you car and make the light go blinky blinky, but as for stopping a smash and grab or actual theft, not so much. If there is something in the car they want, they'll break a window to get it - they know just as well as all of us that the sound of an alarm going off doesn't attract any attention and people are more annoyed than anything else when they hear one.
Not standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #24
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
You get an insurance break with or without the alarm, you already have a vehicle recovery feature standard, that trumps any alarm. And it would probably be better to say that alarms are pointless more than to say they are useless. The do in fact make a sound when you lock you car and make the light go blinky blinky, but as for stopping a smash and grab or actual theft, not so much. If there is something in the car they want, they'll break a window to get it - they know just as well as all of us that the sound of an alarm going off doesn't attract any attention and people are more annoyed than anything else when they hear one.
To say alarms are pointless is actually MISSING the point. I don't know of any anti-theft devices that are fool proof including alarms. But they are one more thing for a potential theif to have to consider before attempting a break-into your car. In many cases a visible alarm can absolutely deter a theif from breaking into your car. And though it's true people have generally become conditioned to ignore the sound of alarms, the last thing a theif wants to do is call attention to the fact that he's breaking into your car. All things considered having one is better than not having one.
      11-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #25
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

with alarm and all, My girls 08 X5 4.8i got broken into. ...if someone wants to get in to the car, theyre gonna find a way whether they have to pop out your key lock or break a window
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #26
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Even cars that are not equpped with the dealer installed alarm has the blinking red led attached to the rear view mirror.. Could fool folks into thinking they have a standard alarm system.
Cars with no alarms does have the red LED attached to the rear view mirror, But they do not blink if you don't have the alarm. That's how I found out I don't have an alarm. I just thought it was standard like my Acura's. I was disappointed but I ordered it anyway just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #27
JacobT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i JB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
Oh and enjoy the new car JacobT.. It is a far better drive than the GS
Sure, that's the main reason I made the switch from GS to 335i. But I still can not get used to the BMW marketing style that does not even offer alarm system as an option from the factory I believe every one who ordered their new BMW made the assumption the new car would come with standard alarm system like every other car manufacturer

I learn my lessons here every day!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #28
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenskid24 View Post
with alarm and all, My girls 08 X5 4.8i got broken into. ...if someone wants to get in to the car, theyre gonna find a way whether they have to pop out your key lock or break a window
brand new 2008 X5 that got broken into.. ouch.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #29
Socratesbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
To say alarms are pointless is actually MISSING the point. I don't know of any anti-theft devices that are fool proof including alarms. But they are one more thing for a potential theif to have to consider before attempting a break-into your car. In many cases a visible alarm can absolutely deter a theif from breaking into your car. And though it's true people have generally become conditioned to ignore the sound of alarms, the last thing a theif wants to do is call attention to the fact that he's breaking into your car. All things considered having one is better than not having one.
An alarm doesn't sound to warn people someone is about to break into your car, it only goes off after the crime has been commited - too late. And when trying to argue that it deters a thief, don't you think the fact that it's a new car would deter a thief? I mean a 1988 Olds is probably a lot less likely to have an alarm opposed to a brand new car, and thieves know that not all alarms have an obvious blinking light. The REAL point is that if a thief wants your car or something in your car, its not because there is a lot full of BMWs with flashing red lights execpt for yours, its that whatever is in your car, is what they want and what is in the 1988 Olds is not. On that note, I'm willing to bet if you put an iphone on the seat of a 1988 Olds with an obvious blinking alarm light and nothing in sight in your car and put them side by side; the Olds with an alarm gets broken into first.

It appears that you believe thieves are actually intelligent and think in advance. 99% of the time its a crime of opportunity when breaking into cars, not a well designed plan to break into your 335 because he thinks you have the 6FL option and you might have an ipod inside. Put it this way, if 4 guys can walk into a mall and take out a jewlery store midday while the mall is open and walk out the front door without getting stopped, I don't think your car alarm going off in row 53 is going to yield any better result.

To each his own, but I have better things to do with $600
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #30
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
An alarm doesn't sound to warn people someone is about to break into your car, it only goes off after the crime has been commited - too late. And when trying to argue that it deters a thief, don't you think the fact that it's a new car would deter a thief? I mean a 1988 Olds is probably a lot less likely to have an alarm opposed to a brand new car, and thieves know that not all alarms have an obvious blinking light. The REAL point is that if a thief wants your car or something in your car, its not because there is a lot full of BMWs with flashing red lights execpt for yours, its that whatever is in your car, is what they want and what is in the 1988 Olds is not. On that note, I'm willing to bet if you put an iphone on the seat of a 1988 Olds with an obvious blinking alarm light and nothing in sight in your car and put them side by side; the Olds with an alarm gets broken into first.

It appears that you believe thieves are actually intelligent and think in advance. 99% of the time its a crime of opportunity when breaking into cars, not a well designed plan to break into your 335 because he thinks you have the 6FL option and you might have an ipod inside. Put it this way, if 4 guys can walk into a mall and take out a jewlery store midday while the mall is open and walk out the front door without getting stopped, I don't think your car alarm going off in row 53 is going to yield any better result.

To each his own, but I have better things to do with $600
Okay, so having an alarm is useless and pointless. Following your logic I suppose locking your car is just as useless and pointless. No point in trying to deter a potential theif from breaking in your car cause if they want to get in your car they're gonna do it anyway. By the way, how did you spend the $600 you saved on the alarm?
      11-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #31
Socratesbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Okay, so having an alarm is useless and pointless. Following your logic I suppose locking your car is just as useless and pointless. No point in trying to deter a potential theif from breaking in your car cause if they want to get in your car they're gonna do it anyway. By the way, how did you spend the $600 you saved on the alarm?
Then by your logic, why wouldn't you cover your car when you park it and carry a bail of razor wire with you to lay around your car when parked? As for locking the car - I'm not going to make it too easy for them to steal it, I at least want a broken window out of the deal. Getting robbed without something happening to the car would just be a shame. Hell, if I did leave the car unlocked, I hope they would at least key it or something to let me know that they were there. As for the $600, the last $600 in purchases I can think of was for 2 pairs of jeans and a shirt. Satisfy your curiosty?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #32
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
the last $600 in purchases I can think of was for 2 pairs of jeans and a shirt.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Damn... you people have gots to calm down. The OP was just asking about an alarm and you guys turned his post into a war. lol!

To the OP, it's up to you whether or not you want to get it. I got it, just cause I have the money to burn. lol!

on!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #34
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I got mine because I wanted them to think twice because it had that little blinking light. If you are going to steal it, it will make noise. Maybe no one will look, maybe they will. More a deterent than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #35
JacobT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I got quote from my dealer, $625 parts and labor. Is this reasonable?

For those who installed the factory alarm, is it fully functional? Can you select both visual and audible effect when arm/disarm the system? I read several different stories here, some said the motion sensor did not work some said the chirp never worked. Why is it so hard for just an alarm system which most other cars come with it?

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #36
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

i paid $400 installed on my car, but that was when i purchased the car so it was a bargain to get me to sign the papers. i got it because its a deterrent mroe than anything. I rather have my car's siren go off when someone is parking or thinking of stealing the car because its better than nothing. Also there is no motion sensor, i believe you have to pay extra for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #37
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Useless? I disagree. Are the locks on your house useless too? Sure if a professional wants to break into your house they will also figure out a way, but that doesn't make your locks or home alarm "useless".

Maybe that's why it is an option here in the states, so many cinical people.
I love my oem Alarm as well--installed at PCD for $400.00--Seamless and Transparent integration; I wouldn't leave home w/o it...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #38
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

My alarm cost $425 to have the dealer install it. Parts and all. Considering I was looking at $299 for the parts, and at least $160 to have the programming......I think I got a good deal.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #39
JacobT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just picked up the car with factory alarm installed. Everything works perfectly as described. Like it a lot. Thanks everyone for your valuable input

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #40
enbalmer
Rep
Drives: bmw

alarm

not a bad idea if you need to find your car in a parking garage. Ever come back to the airport parking lot jet lagged and can't remember exactly where your car is?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #41
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enbalmer View Post
not a bad idea if you need to find your car in a parking garage. Ever come back to the airport parking lot jet lagged and can't remember exactly where your car is?
Uh,....no.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
Socratesbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Uh,....no.
Ditto, how does one forget where they park? I can go somewhere for 3 weeks and come home and remember exactly what space my car is in. I love the people after work too who wander around the parking lot like wtf?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #43
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

My wife drives a dark Honda Accord. She hung fuzzy dice so she could tell which of the fifty in the parking lot was hers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #44
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

i agree with socrates. i had many friends who were engaged in car theft as well as vandalism. typically they knew which cars to break into as they 'knew' what the prize was. Just like when a bike gets stolen, its usually b/c the people stealing it are aware of whats inside. they would track bike owners to their homes and locations and even drive past to scope out the location. People are pretty stupid, but I think statistically 90% of auto thefts take place b/c

1. doors unlocked
2. keys inside the car

Most theft from auto's occurs b/c a valuable item is left in plain sight such as a wallet or expensive electronic device.

most of the time the theif KNOWS what he/she is going for. A good example would be stolen rims, I can promise you the guys stealing rims from cars (even w/ 3 different locks/keys) know which car to steal from and when/where. Its not as simple as driving to a random parking lot and steal whatevers in the nicest car. Its more about knowing who has what/where/when and setting your plan accordingly...
Appreciate 0