E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Half Cylinder Valve

05-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
DylanBerg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330ci

Half Cylinder Valve

I just finished my final project in SolidWorks were I designed a half cylinder valve. I previously started this thread on the topic.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...f+cylinder+cam

Theoreticaly a half cylinder valve will increase airflow and improve engine efficiency. I also made the valve stem elliptical to prevent rotation like someone suggested.

Here are some pictures of my project:

The FEA stress analysis shows deformation under pressure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Hmmm... I had this idea too. Never knew why they didn't make it this way.
      05-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
DylanBerg
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think they don't do it because the valve deforms and it does causes irregular airflow. But it would be interesting if there was a prototype
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The production costs for such a design would be enormus.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillbob3124 View Post
I think they don't do it because the valve deforms and it does causes irregular airflow. But it would be interesting if there was a prototype
Is it because it would be structurally weaker at the "wings?" What about a different type of stem that supports the load more evenly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The production costs for such a design would be enormus.
I think it's the logistics of getting a whole industry to adopt it that would be costly. Production is just production; they can always find a way to make it cheap. It would be just the heads and valve-train that are different, wouldn't it?
      06-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
DylanBerg
Enlisted Member
Rep

I believe the 'wings' of the valve causes the unnatural airflow into the chamber. The wings would also make it so there would be less strength to the valve. I tried a new design for the valve, the change is how the stem curves into the base. I would run flow dynamics on the different type of valves, to see the airflow across each, but my computer is to slow. I'm sure some engineer could figure out a way to make the design work though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
The points of the "wings" would never withstand the heat from combustion. From a manufacturing standpoint the cost to produce the vavle and seat would be astronomical. Getting the od shape to seat and seal would be a serious challenge. Air & fuel flow would be irregular at best. Keep thinking outside the box but there are serious flaws still.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Very interesting and kudos to the OP for the idea/pictures/info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The points of the "wings" would never withstand the heat from combustion. From a manufacturing standpoint the cost to produce the vavle and seat would be astronomical. Getting the od shape to seat and seal would be a serious challenge. Air & fuel flow would be irregular at best. Keep thinking outside the box but there are serious flaws still.
This and the air and fuel flow as well....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
I think it's the logistics of getting a whole industry to adopt it that would be costly. Production is just production; they can always find a way to make it cheap. It would be just the heads and valve-train that are different, wouldn't it?
Valves for high rate production engines are usually forged to ensure longevity (durability) of the part at the lowest production cost. Forging makes a rough part shape that needs to be then precisely shaped, straightened, and machined. It is far less expensive to shape symmetric parts (i.e. square or round) than non-symmetric parts such as oval-shaped valve stems, and half-round valve heads. To make that valve, you are adding a 3rd dimension (axis) to the straightening and machining tolerances. The oval-shaped valve stem needs to be precisely aligned with the half-round shape valve head. This is not to mention the additional machining tolerance needed for the head; a precisely cut oval valve stem hole align on axis with the half round valve seat. Then you have to consider the stem seals, keeper mechanisms, and other ancillary parts affected by the non-symmetrical design.

Even if the industry were to adopt this design and develop rapid production machine tools to make the valves, because of the machining and tolerance requirements it will take probably twice as much time to produce the valve, which design probably does not provide that much more engine efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
DylanBerg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
To make that valve, you are adding a 3rd dimension (axis) to the straightening and machining tolerances
Are you a mechanical engineer because you are very knowledgeable with the geometric tolerances and machining process?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillbob3124 View Post
Are you a mechanical engineer because you are very knowledgeable with the geometric tolerances and machining process?
No. My background is in manufacturing.
Appreciate 0