E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do you define "Out the Door" price at a dealer? + dealership stories

02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

How do you define "Out the Door" price at a dealer? + dealership stories

Just remembering back to a VW dealership trying to screw me on a GTI.. I am glad because I love my 328i loaded much better.. But just thinking..

I remember being told the price was 25K OTD.. Then getting into the little room and another 2500.00 being added on.. I was like you said 25k OTD.. Then he pointed to the sheet that had 25k + 2500.. What the hell, OTD isn't a two number price.. It is a one number price with tax and everything. That is the entire point of OTD.. One soild number with no bullshit.. They threw the last number on right before I was going to sign for the most part. Then when I was like never mind. The dumb bitch called the manager and he came. Then asked me why I wasted their time and my time. He didn't quit either he took another 500.00 and kept going on about how I wasted 2 hours of their time
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Definitly wouldnt ever deal with them again. Everyone knows OTD is just what it means, taxes and all fees included. Bottom dollar price, if i give you this much cash/check i walk out with the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

OTD is what it is. Put whatever hidden fees wherever but $25k and no more! That's the way I have always done business on anything with a negotiated price.

They wasted your time in my opinion. I'm sure there is someone above the "manager" if you want to voice a complaint.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Just remembering back to a VW dealership trying to screw me on a GTI.. I am glad because I love my 328i loaded much better.. But just thinking..

I remember being told the price was 25K OTD.. Then getting into the little room and another 2500.00 being added on.. I was like you said 25k OTD.. Then he pointed to the sheet that had 25k + 2500.. What the hell, OTD isn't a two number price.. It is a one number price with tax and everything. That is the entire point of OTD.. One soild number with no bullshit.. They threw the last number on right before I was going to sign for the most part. Then when I was like never mind. The dumb bitch called the manager and he came. Then asked me why I wasted their time and my time. He didn't quit either he took another 500.00 and kept going on about how I wasted 2 hours of their time
Out the door, is with tax tag and fees. At a dealer they will work a few ways, trade difference agreed sale price. Never go into the finance office without a buyers order. I work at a dealership and what your thinking and what were thinking are often different things. Someone will just say I want to buy the car for 25k, to us thats before taxes and fees. Things we cant over come are state costs like taxes and such. The price of the car is up to us to an extent.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I think it's easier to deal with the price before tax and tags (although some dealers charge an unreasonable fee to get your tags).

With a BMW, you have to request that the dealer remove the MACO and training fees. Who in their right mind would pay those? I told them to remove them as I got a little surprise with those. The sales mgr. pretended to put me on hold, then he said ok, you don't have to pay those.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Out the door, is with tax tag and fees. At a dealer they will work a few ways, trade difference agreed sale price. Never go into the finance office without a buyers order. I work at a dealership and what your thinking and what were thinking are often different things. Someone will just say I want to buy the car for 25k, to us thats before taxes and fees. Things we cant over come are state costs like taxes and such. The price of the car is up to us to an extent.
Well I had no problems getting a solid number on my bmw before buying it and what me and the dealer were thinking seem to go together..

Yeah I didn't say I want to buy a car for 25k.. i said what is the OTD which would mean everything.. They also stuck on dealer fees and other bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Here is the dealer got a 10/30 and the last 10 comments are poor lol.. You can read the stories.. They also record you on video.. I prob mad this thread 2 years back but when I am browsing cars or come across VW I flare up with rage..

https://plus.google.com/100397430573...42/about?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Dealerships get bad press all the time. Heck my dealership has a whole list of people who hate us, 90% who never bought. The people who are happy, leave and you never hear from them again. So you are only getting a small sample. People are brave on the internet, you confront them and everything is peachy. Seems like you have read into the hype. The people that get the biggest discount are the people who are greatful and not jackasses about it. The guy who comes in, or cordial and has all the info in the world and is nice about it will get every penny from my dealership. The Asshat that walks in, thinks hes master negotiator almost always leaves either a loser or I take every penny I can from him.

Heres something from a sale person (me)

1) come in prepared, dont pretend you havent done any reseach, we know you have. If you have something specific in mind go straight to that. No reason to play shy its wastes your time.
2) Dont parachute in your trade. This is where everyone screws it up. If you work me to invoice, do you think Im going to give you anything more than wholesale on your car? Its math and its real easy to figure out. I dont have to hold any numbers to concrete. If you want the most for your trade, go to carmax and bring that with you. This gives a starting point.
3) Be nice. The guy or gal who wants to be a hard ass, we dont want your business. The person who is nice, that was easy to get what they wanted, and we know will reccomend us as well its all about surveys now will be the guys I work the hardest for. The person who is just arrogant the whole time that I get to the same price as the nice one but I know will burn my dealership becuase his shoe was not tied, hes not getting anything from me. Ive turned customers away at hello before.
4) Get everything in writting. Its not that we are sales people and make stuff up. If I help 10 customers a day and each one is a new story, new work, all new. Thats a ton of info to remember. If I owed you a car cover I promise 99% of sales people will forget as soon as your gone. Getting it in writting promises you, the manager, store owners its due to you and then theres no stress in getting what you were promised. I learned this early on and to this day it saves my butt everytime. Something so small as say an extra key fob holder dissapears as we start gathering info on the next customer.
5) Lastly, cash isnt king. Your cash is not what I want. I want interest points, I want flats from banks, I want that. My banks will pay me on your contract the same day you buy the car. Your "Im a cash buyer" just screams your wasting my time. The price depending on brand is usually better with financing becuase the bank expects you to pay the whole loan duration. You pay it off next week for all we care, but saying Im paying cash will not gain you any ground.

Be nice, smile, know what you want, know what you should pay. The internet hides nothing. Anyone can walk in today a buy any of my cars at cost and be my best friend in less than 30 minutes. Or you can come in spend 3 hours and never get to the price the nice guy who knew what he wanted came in and didnt have the horrors of a car dealership.

Also there are some old school car guys out there still, spikey hair, gel in hair, big watches. If one of those guys trys to help you, ask for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

OTD is the final price with everything including taxes, license fees, extra warranties, floor mats, etc..........

That price is the check I need to write to get out the door, not a penny more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Definitly wouldnt ever deal with them again. Everyone knows OTD is just what it means, taxes and all fees included. Bottom dollar price, if i give you this much cash/check i walk out with the car.
this.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Dealerships get bad press all the time. Heck my dealership has a whole list of people who hate us, 90% who never bought. The people who are happy, leave and you never hear from them again. So you are only getting a small sample. People are brave on the internet, you confront them and everything is peachy. Seems like you have read into the hype. The people that get the biggest discount are the people who are greatful and not jackasses about it. The guy who comes in, or cordial and has all the info in the world and is nice about it will get every penny from my dealership. The Asshat that walks in, thinks hes master negotiator almost always leaves either a loser or I take every penny I can from him.

Heres something from a sale person (me)

1) come in prepared, dont pretend you havent done any reseach, we know you have. If you have something specific in mind go straight to that. No reason to play shy its wastes your time.
2) Dont parachute in your trade. This is where everyone screws it up. If you work me to invoice, do you think Im going to give you anything more than wholesale on your car? Its math and its real easy to figure out. I dont have to hold any numbers to concrete. If you want the most for your trade, go to carmax and bring that with you. This gives a starting point.
3) Be nice. The guy or gal who wants to be a hard ass, we dont want your business. The person who is nice, that was easy to get what they wanted, and we know will reccomend us as well its all about surveys now will be the guys I work the hardest for. The person who is just arrogant the whole time that I get to the same price as the nice one but I know will burn my dealership becuase his shoe was not tied, hes not getting anything from me. Ive turned customers away at hello before.
4) Get everything in writting. Its not that we are sales people and make stuff up. If I help 10 customers a day and each one is a new story, new work, all new. Thats a ton of info to remember. If I owed you a car cover I promise 99% of sales people will forget as soon as your gone. Getting it in writting promises you, the manager, store owners its due to you and then theres no stress in getting what you were promised. I learned this early on and to this day it saves my butt everytime. Something so small as say an extra key fob holder dissapears as we start gathering info on the next customer.
5) Lastly, cash isnt king. Your cash is not what I want. I want interest points, I want flats from banks, I want that. My banks will pay me on your contract the same day you buy the car. Your "Im a cash buyer" just screams your wasting my time. The price depending on brand is usually better with financing becuase the bank expects you to pay the whole loan duration. You pay it off next week for all we care, but saying Im paying cash will not gain you any ground.

Be nice, smile, know what you want, know what you should pay. The internet hides nothing. Anyone can walk in today a buy any of my cars at cost and be my best friend in less than 30 minutes. Or you can come in spend 3 hours and never get to the price the nice guy who knew what he wanted came in and didnt have the horrors of a car dealership.

Also there are some old school car guys out there still, spikey hair, gel in hair, big watches. If one of those guys trys to help you, ask for someone else.
Odd, the BMW dealership here has 4/5 stars and their service shows when I deal with them. The dealer here that is pretty much 5 stars goes the extra mile for me. It also seems to show whenever I deal with a 1 or two star dealer. I think if you check yellowpages, google and yelp and the dealer has 1 star across the board it is safe to assume they suck. LoL I never use your guys crappy bank my credit union gives much better rates.

Kinda sad a dealer is so shady they will screw you out of an extra FOB if not in writing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
RVExotics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 REx

How do you go about finding out the MACO and training fees? I'll be taking delivery of a car I ordered sometime mid March and I want to be sure I'm not paying any more than is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328it

I just bought an e91 a last thursday. I was dealing with a local dealership and one that was about 1.5 hrs away. The one further away, I dealt with over email. Good for some, not for others. In this case, the guy was a complete ass and was expecting me, the buyer, to bend over backwards for him. He came off as pompous and like he was "the shit." He offered me jack on my trade in and was over pricing the car. I asked him about KBB and is response was "what are you trying to accomplish?"

The local guy on the other hand, I dealt with in person. He was much more forthcoming (even though I knew he wanted as much as possible) but was willing to work. They recently marked down the car so were hesitant to move on it but it had been sitting on their lot for over a month. At first he low balled me on my trade-in but I was able to get it to a reasonable price. I was also able to get the car down about another $1k. In all, I was happy with the way the salesman treated me and with how the negotiation went.

For salesmen out there, buyers don't like bullshit. Tell us your absolute rock bottom price and we will leave if we don't like it or buy if we are agreeable (even though I don't mind a little haggling). For buyers, don't be assholes. Do your research, and go in with a price in mind (that's reasonable). If your first choice doesn't get you the price you want, then find something else in your range.
Appreciate 0