E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone on Here Work With Cars for a Living?

07-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #23
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I'd love to restore classic cars for a living that is my dream job and has been for a while!
I take it you're not afraid of ruining a manicure or of getting grease, oil, and grime all over you. You might want to look at small restoration garages for employment. Restoration by default implies older cars so you'd be in the right neck of the woods for your interests.

I can imagine, twenty years from now, some guy restoring a 1976 MGB finding little "Porscha!"' QA markings scribbled on the inside of panels indicating they'd been inspected and checked.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #24
LINGsCARS
Ling!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Cab

Sorry, Monday morning is very busy, so I am always quiet...

Re me (sorry Porscha), and my site, well... some people love it, some hate it. I work on the principle that there are enough customers, so I do not try to please everyone. Though people who deal with me are always pleased - I have 1000+ customer letters published.

I use WhosOn to monitor the website and saw referrals from this site I do my best to jump in wherever people have taken the trouble to discuss my site. I think more businesses should do that.

Built the rocket myself (with hubby Jon) - easy It was nuclear decon truck. V8 7.0, 150bhp, very nice, built in 1970 but no miles. Cost £3500. Petrol. A bit like that lump in the X5 then Hahahaha.

Dragons tried to invest, but I refused them Bannatyne and Farleigh. I siad "I refuse it", twice as they raised their offer. Did the show for publicity. BBC great.

1stnewcar, with all respect, show me your website that sells more than £50m of new cars and I will accept your advice

I would say to Porscha, you need a business plan and you need to stop talking and get on with something. Many people would love to do many things, but most end up working for someone else every day. Go and do it! Risk some money.

SoYank... it is your "rear fog lights" that do it for me. Are they Xenon adaptive ones?

Last edited by LINGsCARS; 07-28-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post

And on the subject of women in the auto trade, I would much prefer to deal with a woman sales advisor/exec, so long as they are knowledgable about the product. It would be much more pleasurable signing the contract with a pretty female smiling at you.
Want to see the pics of booforty getting the keys to his car?

(I'll need some photoshop time to do them justice though)

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
And on the subject of women in the auto trade, I would much prefer to deal with a woman sales advisor/exec, so long as they are knowledgable about the product. It would be much more pleasurable signing the contract with a pretty female smiling at you.
There is lovely lady who works for Ipswich Dealers. She can fookin drive too. She drove me in her BF's 911 Turbo to 188mph....

phew.....
      07-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
LOL Well it seems to some on here that sex sells Not really the answer I was looking for.

I've done sales and would have loved it if I'd been selling cars that I personally like! Have no interest to go back into that now though.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I take it you're not afraid of ruining a manicure or of getting grease, oil, and grime all over you. You might want to look at small restoration garages for employment. Restoration by default implies older cars so you'd be in the right neck of the woods for your interests.

I can imagine, twenty years from now, some guy restoring a 1976 MGB finding little "Porscha!"' QA markings scribbled on the inside of panels indicating they'd been inspected and checked.
Exactely the sort of thing I would be interested in working for the right people!

Not really bothered, no. I do nails myself so know all the tricks of that trade and owning a 30 year old MG I tend to get oil and grease all over me anyway, so hey ho!

Can be a rather well dressed and made up girl when I want to be too!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINGsCARS View Post
SoYank... it is your "rear fog lights" that do it for me. Are they Xenon adaptive ones?
Huh? Front headlights are Xenon Adaptive. Rear fogs are standard issue but needed a bit of help with the switch replacement.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 07-28-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Huh? Front headlights are Xenon Adaptive. Rear fogs are standard issue but needed a bit of help with the switch replacement.
I think she was joking
Appreciate 0