E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Speed Camera Question

07-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Speed Camera Question

this is something i have been wondering about for ages ...

when you drive upto one of those fixed yellow tax collectors at the side of the road sorry i mean a speed camera ( gatso / truvelo ) at which point does it register and record your speed ? what i mean is for example can it read your speed at a distance and record the fastest speed on aproach ? or does it simply only record the speed as you cross over the 3 lines or into the area ?

any ideas chaps ? ( and porsche )

thanks

Chris

( and no this is not related to a particular incident )

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Right I have been told that the camera can only do you in those lines, by law the police can't do you outside of the lines on the road, how could you prove this though? I doubt you could!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
The Gatso sensors only point towards the lines, so they can only register your speed in that area.

Not sure about the Truvelo (I'm assuming these are the ones that face you), but as they all have lines I assume they're used to prove your speed (distance travelled between the 2 images), as such it doesn't matter when they can first register your speed, its your speed at the lines that counts!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Truvelo has no marks on the road, they are set by lazer on the the road ,start and finish, they can take you both ways
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Don't think I've seen a Truvelo, we probably haven't got 'em in Derbyshire yet, thank god lol

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

thanks for the replies people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
Truvelo has no marks on the road, they are set by lazer on the the road ,start and finish, they can take you both ways
i dont think you know what i meant, i wasnt on about both directions front and rear. I meant speed on aproach , rather than speed actually on the lines.

thanks

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Truvelos only work in one direction at a time, but they can be configured for forward or rear facing use.

They always have 3 white lines on the road very close to them and a less visible trigger strip just before that.

They will only pick you up when you are fairly close and the white lines confirm which vehicle has triggered the system on dual carriageways, because the speeding vehicle will always be in the white lines when the evidence photo is taken.

http://www.truvelouk.com/secondaryspeedchecks.phtml

Gatsos record an 'estimated speed', but they also take two photos a fixed time apart so the distance travelled between those two points in time can be used as a secondary speed check.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/...tech/gatso.htm

The 'tick' markings in front of the Gatso's assist in this secondary speed check. I don't believe that they are essential for a prosecution, but their location and length provide a good indication of the range of the Gatso.
Appreciate 0