E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Test drove Audi RS6 yesterday

07-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Test drove Audi RS6 yesterday

What a fookin beast.

I mean WHAT A BEAST

5.0 V10 Twin Turbo, 527bhp or 580PS whatever floats ya boat. + alot of torque

Intially at low speeds its very docile and easy to drive. Ride is firm (in sport) but not as bad as a coupe bm on 19" runflats, even though the RS6 wears 20" rims with 35 profile tyres all round. They are not runflat i believe.

The car pulls like a train. Drives very much like a BIG D (335D) but without that enormous shove you get bottem end on a big D. But there is no noticeable lag with the RS6 pulls well from low rpm. It really is not comparable with a mapped 335d obviously. Te RS6 is somewhat faster than the Audi R8 which i drove a while back.

The RS6 acceleration is mental. SO RELENTLESS.... jus goes and goes... Its a weird kind of acceleration, does not feel rapido but jsut so linear and the needle does swoop round the clock..

I would say its as fast as an E60 M5 to0 100mph if not faster but the M5 feels so raw and the SMG smashes through the gears. The RS6 just ''melts'' through them as if they are not there.

Its a totally different experiance and power delivery to the R8 which is loud and peaky.

The RS6 with its abundance of torque just goes at any rev at any given speed.

I got upto a decent speed in a short amount of space before i had to brake.

Very stable at speed and would comfortable sit at that speed all day long.

The brakes are pretty pheonominal. The thing stops on a 2 pence piece literally.

2.2 tons she weighs but the brakes eat away at the speed like a fat kid devours cake.

The interior is sublime, looks and feels expensive, the leather very much like the nappa out of the current M3 but a harder leather. Somewhat better than the Dakota in the ''cooking'' 3 series models.

The steering is very weighted at high speed which i liked, but stupidly assisted at town speed. Feels weird changing so quickly from one to the other. Something you would have to get used to.

A highly accomplished car, one i feel very priveledged to have drive at some ''pace''. Best part about it is the salesman wont let anyone drive them (R8 and RS6) not even prospective buyers, but has let me as he knows the Fandango can drive LOL.

80k is alot of money for a big estate car (saloon not out yet) But for some it will be worth it.

Only 400 coming to the UK also.

I loved it.

Carlos

Last edited by dxb335d; 03-27-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Mate, I'm sure it is awesome but it just looks like a nice tourer and that's it!!

It does not look aggressively sporty enough imo and its HUGE!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You could get a mattress in the back of that Carlos, and cruise for some biatches
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Its slightly bigger than a BUS
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
You could get a mattress in the back of that Carlos, and cruise for some biatches
I know mate, fookin awesome huh
      07-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quicker than an M5 Touring?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Quicker than an M5 Touring?
Yes mate, the M5 saloon does 0-100 in 9.8ish, touring in 10.2.

So if she is quicker than the saloon, then i would say she is quicker than the M5 toruing. Thing is the M5 is peaky like the R8, high revving beastie,

The rs6 is more like a 335d, pulls from any rev in any gear, suits the touring or big saloon thing more in all honesty, easy speed.
      07-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Glad you had fun, I have been in an older one with Warren when his Bentley was in for servicing it was a surreal car, you didn't feel you were doing 70 at ....... 150 + lol!

Not my type of thing, would never want one but I can see the attraction.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Porscha dont give me that shit. If you were earnign big money, and had a major estate and houses all over europe. You would have one of these amongst many new cars and some old sheds kept in an old ''shed''

LOL

you know it.
      07-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Porscha dont give me that shit. If you were earnign big money, and had a major estate and houses all over europe. You would have one of these amongst many new cars and some old sheds kept in an old ''shed''

LOL

you know it.
haha No I wouldn't if I earnt big money and had a major estate and houses all over Europe my cars would consist of something like this -

911RS
911GT3 Mk. 1 Clubsport
MGB V8
Caterham R500
Ferrari 355
Lamborghini Diablo
Couple of projects
...and...
one "tourer" which 100% not be an estate type vehicle to start with!!!

Yep it has a purpose, yes it is very, very fast for what it is and yes they drive unbelievably well but they are plainly and simply not my thing.

Don't know why I'm having a conversation about what cars I'd had if I was mega rich anyway, 'cos I doubt it's gonna happen and if it does by that time I will have probably gone off some of the cars I've mentioned and the Audi RS6 .... will be oh so last year

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Sweetie, surely you need a MODERN daily driver. Being a petrol head i would imagine it would have to be An M or RS Audi or AMG of some sort.

So no CSL no E92 M3?

No 335D TOURING or RS6 avant?

No Aston or Bentley?

I like the cars you list but i wouldnt have just them.
      07-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sweetie, surely you need a MODERN daily driver. Being a petrol head i would imagine it would have to be An M or RS Audi or AMG of some sort.

So no CSL no E92 M3?

No 335D TOURING or RS6 avant?

No Aston or Bentley?

I like the cars you list but i wouldnt have just them.
That is were we differ! I think you would pick cars I wouldn't have too!

I forgot my M stead which would indeed consist of a very modern car, an E46 M3 CSL, possibly an E92 M3 and an E30 M3 Sport Evo

No estates, no hatchbacks.

No Astons, would like an old Bentley to waft about in or is it a Rolls Royce it's called a "Chinese eye" convertible, saw one at the RREC show

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #13
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

If you fell into that wealth category, why would you need an Estate car ? I`m fucked if I`d be "humphing" anything into and out of it.

I`d want something higher to crush all the peasants, maybe a Gemballa Cayenne or some kind of modded R/R (Overfinch/Kahn etc.)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #14
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Agree, I wouldn't buy this car if I was minted
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
Best part about it is the salesman wont let anyone drive them (R8 and RS6) not even prospective buyers, but has let me as he knows the Fandango can drive
You do talk some Sh1t don't you. I agree on the car, I have one on demo in a couple of weeks, so I should be able to confirm your thoughts. But to think a salesman won't let a prospective buyer drive the car they are going to shell out 80large for, is just 100% bull, and the fact they let you out as a non prospective buyer - I think he's telling you large PORKIE PIES, and you believed him

Oh and I would buy one if I had the money, just because I could, and it would be great to annoy supercars, with a chocolate lab, stuck against the rear window
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
You do talk some Sh1t don't you. I agree on the car, I have one on demo in a couple of weeks, so I should be able to confirm your thoughts. But to think a salesman won't let a prospective buyer drive the car they are going to shell out 80large for, is just 100% bull, and the fact they let you out as a non prospective buyer - I think he's telling you large PORKIE PIES, and you believed him

Oh and I would buy one if I had the money, just because I could, and it would be great to annoy supercars, with a chocolate lab, stuck against the rear window
You can talk shit ya self. I have known the geeza 5 years. Driven loads og Audi's with him. He dont let ANYONE drive the RS6 or R8. Every dealership is different mate.
      07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Quote:
You can talk shit ya self.
WHATEVER!!!

Your 'mate' must sell loads of cars, not letting people test drive them - In fact in my twenty + years in the trade I've never heard anything so ridiculous - What makes it worse is you think because you're a good driver they let you. You really have exceeded yourself on this one.....

Audi actually incourage people to drive their cars, to get their awareness up - Did you not know that??

And don't acuse me of picking on you, like previously, you just put yourself in the firing line, and I shoot

As James May would say 'Oh cock'
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I was speaking to a guy in the B&Q car park last Monday who had one of these, to be honest I didn't even know it was out, but asked him how he was getting on with it.
His honest answer was he wasn't really sure, the outright speed is phenomenal, but he said it doesn't feel that brutal so you end up in license loosing territory before you know it and without really having a lot of fun either.
He also said the ride and handling was a real disappointment, round town it was really crashy and when trying to press on you could tell it was a massive barge which he expected, but not quite so bad.

He had been in an RS4 for 2 years before this and said that if he is honest with himself he wished he was still in it, the fact he paid another £52k to swap makes him feel even worse!

He said he nearly looked at an Alpina B5s touring but not getting a penny off it put him off, but got the impression he may be regretting not looking into it a bit more.
He said it was the first car he had ever ordered without driving it apart from his 997, but he had come from a 996 so knew it would be at least as good, but will always test drive before buying in future.

Looked nice though in the dark grey metallic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Oh the other thing he mentioned was he was only getting between 195 and 220 miles from a tank and it was costing him just over £100 to fill.
That is as bad as the M5!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
WHATEVER!!!

Your 'mate' must sell loads of cars, not letting people test drive them - In fact in my twenty + years in the trade I've never heard anything so ridiculous - What makes it worse is you think because you're a good driver they let you. You really have exceeded yourself on this one.....

Audi actually incourage people to drive their cars, to get their awareness up - Did you not know that??

And don't acuse me of picking on you, like previously, you just put yourself in the firing line, and I shoot

As James May would say 'Oh cock'

He aint my mate, he is as old as my father. He is infact my GF father.

He knows my racing background. Has been in many cars with me and many other people. That says it all really.

The way you act on here sure does reek of someone insecure of oneself. Not so much in this post, but your general bashing of me. But if that makes you feel better then good on you.
      07-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Quote:
The way you act on here sure does reek of someone insecure of oneself. Not so much in this post, but your general bashing of me. But if that makes you feel better then good on you.
Now I'm sure I said don't accuse me of picking on you, I think you might be the insecure one.............. ha ha

So this salesman is suddenly a 'geeza', as you put it in your earlier post, and is now you GF's father - Make your mind up, and stop back tracking

Sorry Carl I just can't help it - Just re-read what you've put in your opening of this thread, I have many times, and I just keep laughing, that he only lets you drive it becuase 'he knows the fandango can drive' (as you pu it) - It looks like the only reason you drove it was because he's your GF's dad?

I actually enjoyed your write up and look forward to driving one myself, especially after EVO's latest test on it, thrashing an R8 to 150mph, but not round the bedford aerodrome, but only loosing out by 1.4 secs. In my eye's you just ruined it by your comments in the said paragraph.

Just my tuppence, and once again please don't accuse me of picking on you, I'm not, you're just over sensitive to me
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
I have a picture of that chocolate lab stuck on the rear window
Appreciate 0