E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > No New Car! :(

07-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
No New Car! :(

Well I've had an absolute nightmare of a day.

Went down to Leicester early today to pick up my beautiful 1976 MG Midget, so at 11.00 with promise of an MOT certificate by 12.30 my mum and I set off down the M1.

We got there to be told it had failed on handbrake and "emmissions", so we hung about then the man told us to go and have a look at it in the garage, we got there, it was outside not being worked on spoke to the mechanics who told us it had failed on handbrake and also had a misfire, we asked when it would be sorted the man told us he didn't know what was causing it.

We went back to the current owner to explain, he said he knew nothing of the misfire but rang the garage and pushed money their way to get it done.

So we hung about until 3.30pm when we were told the man was finishing his shift in 10 minutes (he managed a Nursing Home) and we would go and fetch the car, which was sorted.

5 minutes later he comes out and says bad news the garage don't know what is wrong with the car, so my mum goes up to the garage (she knows a fair bit about old cars, MGs and Alfas) we get them to start the car, it's missing all over the place, all the usual and easy stuff has been tested and fine, not looking good at all.

When I went to look at the car I asked the man if it was running well and he said yes,he had lied to me, so I went back and got my deposit back.

So sad because I really liked that car but glad I walked away from it, just not right!

I looked at a 1966 MG Midget tonight which was solid but a bit scruffy, would have had it but the owner wanted far too much money for it!

Ended up going for a 1978 MG Midget 1500, in bright yellow with matching hardtop, it runs lovely drove it tonight, he's just got to MOT it for me, it's a little tatty but nothing a new set of wheels and a bit of filler won't cure Best of all I've got it cheap, it's mechnically and structurally sound too Not to mention it currently lives all of 4 miles away from me!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Next time dont just take a man's word for it........................

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Next time dont just take a man's word for it........................
True lol the man knew that yesterday when I went to pick the car up, after it had passed it's MOT I was going to have a test drive and would buy on what I thought of that, even if the garage has got it through it's MOT I would have drove it and said "no" so I don't understand why he misled me and just wasted my day yesterday!

The "new" new one was in MOT (just) and drove lovely, though is not quite as pretty (little bit of surface rust and very dodgy wheels - don't take a lot to sort), which just goes to show not all that glistens is gold!!!!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0