E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth shuts off on Motorola E815

06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Bluetooth shuts off on Motorola E815

I just paired my new Motorola E815 to my E90. Works great got the phone book going and the sound is very clear. Just one problem, when I came out the next day and got into the car the car did not connect. When I checked the bluetooth feature on the phone it had turned off and I had to reactivate it. I didn't have to go through the pairing thing again thank god but I had to turn the bluetooth back on. Is this normal or is there some way I can turn it on permanatly?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

There are two (2) things you have to do: ( I have the E815 too .)

1. You have to go to the set up menu and make sure the Bluetooth is set ON all the time. This is NOT the same as when you turn it on temporarily.

MENU
SETTINGS
CONNECTION
BLUETOOTH LINK
SETUP
POWER -- MAKE THIS "ON"

2. In the Car Settings, you have to

MENU
SETTINGS
CAR SETTINGS
AUTO HANDSFREE -- MAKE THIS "ON"

3. If you want to make it really easy to answer calls so you don't have to ACCEPT an incoming call, you can also automatically allow the car to answer the call. To do this:

MENU
SETTINGS
CAR SETTINGS
AUTO ANSWER -- CHOOSE YOUR TIME, I PICKED "2 SECONDS"

Enjoy. This should help you.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

You HAVE to do the first two (2) items to have an automatic linking of the phone to the car each time you get in the car.

It is flawless and seamless. Very cool.

I added the third, auto answer feature because I always answer my phone anyway and it made it a lot safer not having to push a button all of a sudden each time a call comes in.

But, this is a personal choice.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

OK, I keep forgetting to tell you things:

I experimented with the battery and with Bluetooth on all the time and have not noticed my battery losing power faster. I understand it only uses power if actually paired to the car and being used. But, I drove to Palm Springs last w/e and the battery lasted just as long as when I did not use Bluetooth in my old car.

So, there shouldn't be a problem leaving Bluetooth on all the time.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep

Larry, Thank you very much for your help I will give it a try tonight when I get out of the office. It took me a couple of attempts before I got it to pair up. When it finnally did I must have thought that was all there was. Also thanks for the info on the battery usage. I have been debating whether to install the ejector and trim plate so the E815 can be in the charger and connected to the outside fin antenna. The retail price for the E815 parts $140 for the ejector and $24 for the trim plate. I should get a discount at my dealer for 5 or 10%. Do you think it is worth the cost or just buy a car charger and plug it in the lighter? I was thinking the outside antenna may have some value in fringe areas. I work for a fire department and have a hands free kit with out side antenna on my department vehicle that seems to help but my department phone is a Nextel it needs all the help it can get if you venture very far away from civilization. My personal phone is a Verizon and it seems to work very well anywhere in So Cal.
Thank you again for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

Thanks for your note.

I'm sure it will help. It's funny that with all the threads on here, I don't think they have been very clear in how to set up the phones to work with the car. So, I'm glad I could help.

I also have Verizon and am here in SoCal. I also have a house in Palm Springs. I have to tell you that I NEVER have a problem with a signal. I just leave the phone in the armrest with the antenna pulled out. To be honest, I don't even think I get a better signal when the antenna is stretched out in the armrest. And, when I lift up the phone near the front windshield, I don't get a better signal either. But, in very fringe areas, putting it near the ashtray might increase the signal a bit.

But, I'd say, don't waste the money right now. I'd just use the phone as is and see how it does. Only if you really need a boost in signal would I spend so much extra money.

Good luck. It is so COOL to just step into the car and have it connect to the phone right away. And, it's a hell of a lot safer.

L
Appreciate 0