E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

07-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #529
Texas Jim
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
George or Greg, I just bought a bunch of stuff from you and it came in on 7/9. It includes Klasse AIO, Jet Seal 109, Natty's Blue Paste Wax, the tire and wheel starter package, Clay Magic clay bar and an assortment of towels, applicators and polishing pads.

My Bimmer is almost two months old and I plan on detailing it this weekend. The paint is in great shape. My steps that I will be using are:

- Wash with Mothers California Gold
- Dry with leaf blower/waffle weave towel
- Clay
- Jet Seal 109
- Natty's Blue Paste Wax
- Wheel sealant and tire dressing

My questions are:

1) Since the car is so new, do I need to apply Klasse AIO after clay and before Jet Seal since the paint is still so new?

2) Do I need to re-wash after claying or just wipe off with QD and MF towel?

3) Instructions for Jet Seal say paint must be cool to the touch. I'll be doing this in my garage, but it is July in Dallas and it's HOT outside (around 100 degrees for the high). Should I wait until the fall?

TIA

[
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #530
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Why don't you ship to APO addresses? I had about 10 things in my cart, went to check out... but you only ship FEDEX. Blah.
We do, I have my programmer looking into why there is no USPS options available. I'll shoot you a PM when it's fixed, or feel free to PM me the items you're interested in and you can paypal the funds to us. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
wow, they are fast! Got my stuff yesterday.

I have a full array of detailing products sitting ready one day ahead of delivery (today at 3:00 W00T!!!!!)

I will be a repeat customer of DI.
Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience with us. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jim View Post
George or Greg, I just bought a bunch of stuff from you and it came in on 7/9. It includes Klasse AIO, Jet Seal 109, Natty's Blue Paste Wax, the tire and wheel starter package, Clay Magic clay bar and an assortment of towels, applicators and polishing pads.

My Bimmer is almost two months old and I plan on detailing it this weekend. The paint is in great shape. My steps that I will be using are:

- Wash with Mothers California Gold
- Dry with leaf blower/waffle weave towel
- Clay
- Jet Seal 109
- Natty's Blue Paste Wax
- Wheel sealant and tire dressing

My questions are:

1) Since the car is so new, do I need to apply Klasse AIO after clay and before Jet Seal since the paint is still so new?

2) Do I need to re-wash after claying or just wipe off with QD and MF towel?

3) Instructions for Jet Seal say paint must be cool to the touch. I'll be doing this in my garage, but it is July in Dallas and it's HOT outside (around 100 degrees for the high). Should I wait until the fall?

TIA
1) Using the AIO is optional between the clay and the sealant. If you have time, I'd do it. It can help ensure that the Jet Seal has a properly prepped surface and you may increase durability by a little. Klasse AIO is very easy to work with and you shouldn't need much more than 1 oz of product for an entire coat.

2) A re-wash is optional. If you're using a QD as your clay lube and you're completely wiping down any excess product, you can often go right to the next step. If you plan on using the Klasse AIO after claying, then you can safely goto the AIO without a wash since the chemical cleaners will remove any excess residue. If you didn't AIO then consider a re-wash. It really depends on how careful you are with removing excess clay lube. I usually spray it very liberally and don't clean it up as well knowing that I'm going to rewash at some point.

3) You should be fine as long as the car is in the garage during the clay and polishing steps. By the time you're done with that it's been out of direct sunlight for a few hours and the paint temp should be safe to work with. What it will usually effect is how hard it is to apply and remove, not so much the effectiveness of the product.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great weekend!

George
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #531
Texas Jim
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
We do, I have my programmer looking into why there is no USPS options available. I'll shoot you a PM when it's fixed, or feel free to PM me the items you're interested in and you can paypal the funds to us. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience with us. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1) Using the AIO is optional between the clay and the sealant. If you have time, I'd do it. It can help ensure that the Jet Seal has a properly prepped surface and you may increase durability by a little. Klasse AIO is very easy to work with and you shouldn't need much more than 1 oz of product for an entire coat.

2) A re-wash is optional. If you're using a QD as your clay lube and you're completely wiping down any excess product, you can often go right to the next step. If you plan on using the Klasse AIO after claying, then you can safely goto the AIO without a wash since the chemical cleaners will remove any excess residue. If you didn't AIO then consider a re-wash. It really depends on how careful you are with removing excess clay lube. I usually spray it very liberally and don't clean it up as well knowing that I'm going to rewash at some point.

3) You should be fine as long as the car is in the garage during the clay and polishing steps. By the time you're done with that it's been out of direct sunlight for a few hours and the paint temp should be safe to work with. What it will usually effect is how hard it is to apply and remove, not so much the effectiveness of the product.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great weekend!

George
Thanks George...you guys are awesome!

[
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #532
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Hi George,
Just put my order in yesterday to an APO, so I would say you fixed whatever it is that was preventing USPS option. Thanks for that by the way...our local car care stores leave a LOT to be desired and the only way a lot of us military overseas can buy stuff (any kind of stuff) is mail order.

Detailing question: Just picked up my wife's new Mini and the dealer did a rush job on prepping it. There is white polish/wax residue on the black plastic pieces (mirror, trim, etc). I have no idea how to get this stuff off!!!
Can you tell me what to do?

Thanks! And really looking forward to the Porter and the polishes...never done it before, but ready for the challenge.
cheers,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #533
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukthunderace View Post
Hi George,
Just put my order in yesterday to an APO, so I would say you fixed whatever it is that was preventing USPS option. Thanks for that by the way...our local car care stores leave a LOT to be desired and the only way a lot of us military overseas can buy stuff (any kind of stuff) is mail order.

Detailing question: Just picked up my wife's new Mini and the dealer did a rush job on prepping it. There is white polish/wax residue on the black plastic pieces (mirror, trim, etc). I have no idea how to get this stuff off!!!
Can you tell me what to do?

Thanks! And really looking forward to the Porter and the polishes...never done it before, but ready for the challenge.
cheers,
Greg
I had our programmer work on the APO issue right away after I heard about it. Everything should be up and running smoothly now. We greatly appreciate your support.

For old wax on trim, I usually turn to some Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water (50/50 mix) and take a medium bristled tooth brush (or equivalent) and agitate the surface. From there, I'll take a product like Poorboy's Trim Restorer to bring back a nice finish to the trim.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

George
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #534
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Well i really do try and take care of my cars on a weekly basis, im not sure im the kinda of person who will detail for 7 hours with a PC.

My question is quite simply, what is a good protective wax thats relatively easy to apply by hand? Something i can put on every month or 2?

It should be relatively easy to apply by hand and should be plastic safe so i dont have to mask the car off.

Thanks
Steven
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #535
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Well i really do try and take care of my cars on a weekly basis, im not sure im the kinda of person who will detail for 7 hours with a PC.

My question is quite simply, what is a good protective wax thats relatively easy to apply by hand? Something i can put on every month or 2?

It should be relatively easy to apply by hand and should be plastic safe so i dont have to mask the car off.

Thanks
Steven
Steven,

A good wax that is known for not leaving white residue behind on trim is P21S Concours Carnauba Wax. The product is very easy to apply and remove, however, you'll probably want to apply this once a month as durability is not this products strong point. Another great option is Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax. With any wax though, you want to still wipe off any wax product you get on the trim as soon as possible, even if it claims to not stain. If you get enough of any product on trim, it will leave behind some residue, stain it, etc.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #536
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Hi,

You guys have any product to fix keyed (scratch) marks?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #537
jb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Question full paint detail

I just bought a used 2006 330i and want to perform a full paint detail on it soon to make her shine like new. I plan on claying, but other than that I'm really confused with all the talk about cutting polish, cleaners, and whatnot. I'm kinda new at this

Do you think you could put together some sort of list of what all I should do? I have no idea about what kind of products or really what order to use them in, so your help would be greatly appreciated!

2006 325i - Titanium Silver - Steptronic - Sport Pkg. - Premium Pkg. - Blacklines - 330i Exhaust Tips - Rear Fogs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #538
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Hi,

You guys have any product to fix keyed (scratch) marks?
If you're down to primer, unfortunately, we don't sell any kits with paint for touching up. If you have a scuff in the clear coat, then you'd need to turn to some abrasive polishes, preferably with a quality buffer such as a Porter Cable 7424 or Flex XC3401VRG to put a dent in scratches. If it's real light, you can try something like Meguiar's ScratchX, which can be found locally at an automotive store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
I just bought a used 2006 330i and want to perform a full paint detail on it soon to make her shine like new. I plan on claying, but other than that I'm really confused with all the talk about cutting polish, cleaners, and whatnot. I'm kinda new at this

Do you think you could put together some sort of list of what all I should do? I have no idea about what kind of products or really what order to use them in, so your help would be greatly appreciated!
A good starting point would be to read through our auto detailing guides to give you a step-by-step walk through of the detailing process. Each step explains what is going on, offers product recommendations as well as step-by-step instructions.

If you're looking to get started in detailing, take a look some of our packages, like the Auto Detailing Essentials to get started, or a more Advanced Complete Detailing Kit. You'll save quite a bit with those packages and get everything you need to get started.

After reading up on things, please let me know if you have any specific questions on anything.

Cheers,

George
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #539
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Greg/George,
E90 members get 10% off of orders? Man...if I had only known!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #540
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukthunderace View Post
Greg/George,
E90 members get 10% off of orders? Man...if I had only known!

Greg
Yep, it's right in my signature. Simply enter in e90post as your coupon code during checkout to have the 10% discount apply to all items it applies to. Check your PM box though

George
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #541
SUperfunkMF
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe, 11 C63 P31

Stain

Hi George,

Do you have any products to remove stains? I've tried googone , clay bar, quick detailer and buffed it with no success.

Thanks

11 C63 P31 Iridium Silver, Black on Black.
08 335XI TiAg, Black on Alu trim,ZSP, STEP.

Last edited by SUperfunkMF; 07-31-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #542
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

What product did you buff it with? Was it by hand or via machine? A chemical polish or an abrasive polish should be able to take care of those marks no problem. What part of Canada are you in?

George
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #543
SUperfunkMF
Private
Canada
Rep

I'm in Montreal, Quebec.

By hand I did scratch X, with a buffer I applied mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #544
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Who's blood is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #545
SUperfunkMF
Private
Canada
Rep

Believe it or not it's freaking garbage juice that was being splattered all over the road by some DBAG, truck driver.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #546
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUperfunkMF View Post
Believe it or not it's freaking garbage juice that was being splattered all over the road by some DBAG, truck driver.
I'd recommend using a more aggressive polish, preferably with a quality buffer such as a Porter Cable 7424 or something more powerful. Meg's ScratchX is easily on the least aggressive side of things. Take a medium cutting polish, or if needed, a compound to the area. Surface stains should come out no problem. Make sure you're applying enough pressure to properly break down the abrasive particles in the polish.

Good luck, keep us posted if it comes out.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #547
SUperfunkMF
Private
Canada
Rep

Will do later today.

It was more of a sludge that once I whiped off saw the stain underneath.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #548
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

Im having a lot of problems with 106ff and swirls. Can someone please help me out with this. I have made a thread about it also. Im either not fully removing the swirls or im introducing more swirls. Which they say its not supposed to do. Am I not putting enough pressure? How many passes should I being doing if polishing after S.I.P. I really would like to get this problem solved quickly. My S.i.p. step is leaving quite a lot of swirls and im not sure if that is supposed to happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #549
SolidSnake2634
cantoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW M3  [6.06]
hi, i just got interested into detailing. im planning on detailing a friend's jet black e90. it'll be my first time detailing. can you give me some suggestions on what Chemical Guys products to buy? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #550
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake2634 View Post
hi, i just got interested into detailing. im planning on detailing a friend's jet black e90. it'll be my first time detailing. can you give me some suggestions on what Chemical Guys products to buy? thanks.

I quote myself from the PM I sent you in June when you asked me the exact same question. In this case, the does not even apply to you. The does not apply to you either. You are truly something else. We need a "didn't I already answer your question before, and didn't you make two threads about this already?" smilie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX
OTC Plan:
Duraglos 901 from Carquest (nice mild wash)
Meguiars Clay (pep boys/auto zone)
S100 Canauba Wax from Harley Davidson (this wax will make it look wet and warm but does NOT last)
Meguiars Ultimate Detailer (pep boys/auto zone - streaks because contains carnauba so you gotta buff it out; therefore do not use on dusty vehicles because you will be buffing the dust = swirls and scratches unending)
Invisible Glass (costco/pep boys/auto zone/kragens)
Honestly there are no OTC sealants, or polishes/AIO that I like.

Zaino Plan: (my numbers may be off)
Z-7 Wash
Z18 Clay Bar
Z-AIO
Z5 Pro
Z2 Pro
Z8 Grand Finale

CG Plan:
CG Citrus Wash Clear (strip car)
CG Maxi Suds II (maintenance wash)
CG Blue Clay
CG Jetseal 109