E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Looking to buy E91, opinions wanted on mileage vs price

04-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 328i xdrive wagon F31

Looking to buy E91, opinions wanted on mileage vs price

Based on reliability and maintenance costs, is there an advantage to buying a low mileage (<40k miles) but expensive ($30k+) car, or a high mileage (~90k) but significantly cheaper (~$20k) car?

I'm looking for a LCI RWD E91, manual, sport package. There aren't many of these for sale at any given time. I don't really want an Xdrive model. The couple I have found out there right now are an '09 with 88k and a '10 with 98k miles. Both are around or under $20k. The 98k mile car is local to me, and while it drives perfectly and has no issues, that's a lot of miles. It's also white which isn't my favorite color, but does have a saddle brown interior. Both cars are fairly basic, no idrive or premium packs or anything.

Sometimes '11 models come up for sale with <40k miles, but the asking prices are usually $30-35k. So is it worth paying $10k more for lower miles and a warranty?

I currently own an '04 Audi allroad 4.2. It just turned 98k miles, and I bought it 4 years ago with 38k on it (but out of warranty due to age). I still spent a lot of money on repairs over the years, mainly DIY, but at this point it's mostly sorted out. Of course these cars are known to be unreliable, but it's never let me down. I'm not scared to do basic maintenance myself, and from what I have read the 328i is fairly reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Beware of the BASE stereo in the 2010-up to 2011.5

Its a total ampless tweeterless POS.

One of the advantages of buying low miles car is it hasn't
had a lot of high mileage oil changes so is less likely to have
sludge. Check for sludge under the oil cap.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
f0xfire021
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e91 328xiT | 6mt

I bought our e91 with 33k miles on the clock and still under CPO. If I were doing it again, I'd buy the higher mileage, cheaper car and deal with things as they happen. Other than a loosening U-joint in the steering column and a faulty oil pan (bad casting caused drain bolt not to fully seal) the car has been really good. You'll be dealing with replacing thermostat and water pump eventually regardless, just a question of how soon depending on vehicle age. Buy the 98k option and spend $2k doing the cooling items noted and new struts/dampers right off the bat and you should have a solid car for another 100k miles.

BTW the e91 is fantastic to drive. Hauls the family around without issues and doubles as a fun weekend backroad car. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Its a total ampless tweeterless POS.

One of the advantages of buying low miles car is it hasn't
had a lot of high mileage oil changes so is less likely to have
sludge. Check for sludge under the oil cap.

Also under the free maintenance plan the only fluids that are
changed in 100k miles are the oil and brake fluid.

I would Google Mike Miller BMW for the old school maintenance
schedule and and history of BMW maintenance policy.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately the two high miles, low cost cars have base stereos and not too many options. Is it difficult to upgrade the stereo (proprietary stuff)? One has cold weather pack, the other does not.

Does the passenger side mirror tilt down when reversing as a standard feature, or is that part of an option package?

Also, from what I have read it is possible to upgrade halogen headlights to xenons, but the only downside is the cost of buying them?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
Unfortunately the two high miles, low cost cars have base stereos and not too many options. Is it difficult to upgrade the stereo (proprietary stuff)? One has cold weather pack, the other does not.

Does the passenger side mirror tilt down when reversing as a standard feature, or is that part of an option package?

Also, from what I have read it is possible to upgrade halogen headlights to xenons, but the only downside is the cost of buying them?
My understanding that all of the non-premium stereo options are pretty easy to upgrade, but the Logic 7 system is not due to the use of fiber optics.

I also believe the mirror tilt is a standard feature.

You are also correct on the only real downside of the halogen -> xenon swap. There is also some coding involved I believe, so that's something to consider.

If you are the DIY type there's no reason to shy away from a higher mileage E91, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

just bought an E90 2010 328xi 6-speed with 60k on it for 20k. Id love a wagon but the 6-speed ones are very rare. You live in pittsburgh so wouldnt it be nice to have x-drive?

I will comment on the base stereo though. it SUCKS! but atleast I have the satellite tuner.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0xfire021 View Post
I bought our e91 with 33k miles on the clock and still under CPO. If I were doing it again, I'd buy the higher mileage, cheaper car and deal with things as they happen. Other than a loosening U-joint in the steering column and a faulty oil pan (bad casting caused drain bolt not to fully seal) the car has been really good. You'll be dealing with replacing thermostat and water pump eventually regardless, just a question of how soon depending on vehicle age. Buy the 98k option and spend $2k doing the cooling items noted and new struts/dampers right off the bat and you should have a solid car for another 100k miles.

BTW the e91 is fantastic to drive. Hauls the family around without issues and doubles as a fun weekend backroad car. Best of luck.
Thanks for the input, this is what I am leaning towards as well. From my test drive the car is very fun to drive compared to my allroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
My understanding that all of the non-premium stereo options are pretty easy to upgrade, but the Logic 7 system is not due to the use of fiber optics.

I also believe the mirror tilt is a standard feature.

You are also correct on the only real downside of the halogen -> xenon swap. There is also some coding involved I believe, so that's something to consider.

If you are the DIY type there's no reason to shy away from a higher mileage E91, IMO.
Thanks for the answers, I'll have to search a bit on the stereo upgrades. I added a subwoofer and Phatbox to my allroad, but it does have the Bose upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
just bought an E90 2010 328xi 6-speed with 60k on it for 20k. Id love a wagon but the 6-speed ones are very rare. You live in pittsburgh so wouldnt it be nice to have x-drive?

I will comment on the base stereo though. it SUCKS! but at least I have the satellite tuner.
Congrats on the car, seems like a fair price. 6 speed wagons are definitely rare, especially with the sport pack. I have not driven an Xdrive model, but I always felt a BMW should be RWD. With winter tires I am not too worried, we don't really get that much snow around here. I am coming from an AWD car, so I suppose it will take a little to get used to the dynamics, but the 328 isn't so powerful as to be a handful I would think. My allroad has the 340hp V8 but at 4200lbs and 5 speed auto, it is still slower 0-60 than a E91 328i RWD 6 speed wagon. But it's impossible to spin the tires or get it sideways in anything but snow/ice.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
gilly22
United_States
Rep
Drives: see sig

I bought my e91 with 98k on the clock and it was flawless. It was fully loaded with everything including CA. My only issue was the transfer case since it was an xi. If you're looking for a manual e91, you can't be too picky since they are one of the rarest BMW models out there. That being said, I'd go with the higher mileage option if you can and save some dollars. Since you're looking for a 6mt, you don't really have to worry about the GM tranny failing. The Motor is rock solid as long as you keep up with maintenance.

My .02

///M3 at PIR
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMtnB44

The power tilt passenger mirror is standard only if you have power memory seats.

My e91 has non-power sport seats and doesn't have tilt. Apparently it's controlled via the seat memory module. It's a bummer, but I got sport package, 6mt, and xenons so I live with the options I'm missing.

Finding a completely loaded wagon, especially with manual, seems to be really rare. I would think a rwd would be even harder, I've never even seen one up here in Mass; all I looked at were xdrive. I personally love the xdrive, it's great in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

I am thinking of selling mine for a 520d wagon.

I have a USA 2011 328i 6MT ZSP with 67K miles that I bought new in July 2010.

Sapphire black exterior, tan leather interior. Heated seats and factory alarm. Flawless service history (oil changed twice as often as recommended!).

Only issue: My US-Spec car's in The Netherlands.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404918

Last edited by roundle; 04-17-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
The power tilt passenger mirror is standard only if you have power memory seats.

My e91 has non-power sport seats and doesn't have tilt. Apparently it's controlled via the seat memory module. It's a bummer, but I got sport package, 6mt, and xenons so I live with the options I'm missing.
Ah, that sucks. Both high mileage cars have manual seats. I really like that feature on my allroad, it makes parallel parking so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
Finding a completely loaded wagon, especially with manual, seems to be really rare. I would think a rwd would be even harder, I've never even seen one up here in Mass; all I looked at were xdrive. I personally love the xdrive, it's great in the snow.
My allroad is pretty loaded; rear parking sensors, heated everything, power everything, etc. but only the 30-35k cars seem to have all those features. I've seen a few Msport RWD loaded wagons for sale, but with auto transmissions. I've also seen a few Msport Xdrive loaded wagons with 6 speed manual. Never the right combination. If I get tired of waiting, it is kind of tempting to get one of the auto cars if it has everything else I want, and swap it to manual once the warranty is over. But I'd rather just find what I want up front.

Has anyone driven both a RWD and Xdrive with 6 speed to compare? The RWD is quicker, and with the sport suspension should handle slightly better, but in daily driving is there much of a difference? I've read some of the threads on the topic already, and the general consensus was RWD for driving dynamics, but Xdrive if frequent winter weather is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

I think if you're searching for RWD/manual/sport there aren't going to be too many choices, I was lucky enough to happen upon my '11 328i RWD/M-Sport/manual/Space Grey/Chestnut/roof rail delete with 9k on it at my dealer, when I saw it in the showroom I got out of my 335i xDrive/Auto lease that day and bought it. Gave up 70+ hp and 100+ lb/ft, but I don't miss it a bit. I have dedicated winter wheels/tires and except for climbing steep hills and accelerating quickly, the 328i with winter tires is better at braking/turning/handling in the snow than the xDrive was on all-seasons. The only options on mine are xenons and M-Sport, and I quite like it that way - though I wish I had memory seats when my wife drives the car, the manual seats are difficult to get back in the exact position. Also completely agree with the above replies about the '10 audio, it's awful. Mine has the base system but must have been 11.5+ as it has tweeters at the base of the A-pillars and sounds much better than the system in the '10 335i.

The 335i had 27k on it when I traded it and it stranded me twice in that milage, I have 39k on my E91 now and haven't had a problem. I've done oil changes between the BMW intervals. I sometimes wish for more power, but I love how much cargo versatility there is and with the sport suspension/manual/RWD combination it handles like an E92. I have the BMW performance exhaust on the car now and absolutely love the sound.

I searched on Cars.com recently and I think 11 '11/'12 E91s came up, none of them were RWD M-sports. Will be going to a track event next month with the BMWCCA Puget Sound region next month, hopefully no one will laugh me out of the facility for turning up in a wagon .

I occasionally get the itch to sell mine now that my wife has a Sienna, I don't really need the extra room in the E91 - the itch usually happens when a 662 hp Mustang GT500 goes by with a really deep exhaust note - so catch me on the right day and I might actually sell mine .

Last edited by Grendeltouring; 04-17-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
Has anyone driven both a RWD and Xdrive with 6 speed to compare? The RWD is quicker, and with the sport suspension should handle slightly better, but in daily driving is there much of a difference? I've read some of the threads on the topic already, and the general consensus was RWD for driving dynamics, but Xdrive if frequent winter weather is an issue.
I've driven an E90 xDrive/manual but not an E91 so-equipped. The suspension height on the xDrive cars is higher, even with the sport package the xDrive cars get the standard height. There was a bit more body roll than with my RWD E91/M-sport and it wasn't quite as lively in the rear, but it was a pretty well-balanced car and it was far better than the many 328i xDrive loaners I've had with the GM-sourced 6-speed auto (had quite a few of them when I had the 335i). My E91 also has 18" staggered wheels/tires, with 255/35s in the back - all of the xDrive cars I drove were 225/40 all-round. Personally I love the RWD/manual/sport combination, but with the 255s there is almost too much traction in the back, it's actually a bit more fun to drive with the 225/40 square winter tires on .

The perfect scenario for winter traction would be xDrive with winter tires, but I've found my RWD/manual combo to be pretty good in the winter, I've been up to the ski areas around Mt. Rainier and haven't been close to stuck. Also drove my E91 to FL last Feb, had winter tires on for that trip and was fine in Montana/Wyoming/etc.

Last edited by Grendeltouring; 04-17-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
cdcsf
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT

Last weekend, I picked up a '11 328i xDrive (Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Black Leather) here in the SF Bay Area. It had about 28k miles with auto, Premium, nav, xenon, Comfort Access, heated steering wheel, Harman Kardon, alarm, rear PDC, roof rails, Satellite tuner and headlight cleaning. I got it at a car dealer and paid about $27.5k (before taxes and fees).

I saw several similar cars with fewer options and more miles as CPOs from the local BMW dealers who were asking in the $30k-32k range, but those still have been sitting in their inventories after several weeks.

Two minor issues with my car. It only has 1 key which means I need to pay $250 (for a new keyfob from BMW Key services) plus about 1hr labor at a dealership to program the key for CA. Also, the tonneau/cargo cover was missing. This is about $860 MSRP from BMW (approx $700 from getbmwparts.com). I'm picking up a used one I found online for about $215.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
tmjstumpffo
Rep
Drives: bmw

Unfortunately the two high miles, low cost cars have base stereos and not too many options.