E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So... I wasn't going to modify my car :)

04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

So... I wasn't going to modify my car :)

Was having a discussion with a friend the other day, she was asking about my car because it really is out of character for me. Over the years my daily driver has been an old German car of questionable heritage and previous maintenance, and I've had a habit of just replacing everything that needs to be replaced with "performance" components (while leaving the car looking pretty much stock other than ride height and wheels/tires.)

I told her that I'd bought my E92 so I wouldn't have to be working on my car all the time, and that I'd only done a few things to it since I bought it to get it in shape and to my taste.

Then I started thinking about it... so far, since purchase of car, I've bought:

- spare tire kit and bag
- all the tools that should have been in the tool kit but weren't
- set of 157's and Blizzaks for winter
- wheel locks
- euro headlight switch to enable rear fog
- alarm kit
- sirius tuner
- rubber floor mats and trunk mat
- used e-brake handle boot because of a small tear
- red LEDs for the map lights, for night road trips (so passengers can read without pissing me off/killing my night vision)
- one cover for the pass side headlight (found latch was busted when I had to replace angel eye bulb)
- quart of oil and little BMW carrying case (it was like $5 for the case at the dealer, and I like keeping my trunk neat)
- first aid kit and warning triangle
- those cool little leather flippy things to keep the keys from getting torn up in my pocket.
- BlendMount for my V1 (and paid for an update as well as I realized my V1 was 10 years old!)
- European wide angle/aspheric outside rear view mirrors (just paid for those this AM which prompted this post)

and then there's the cosmetics

- exterior paint correction
- refinish of my 230s (and then I curbed one! DAMMIT!)
- legal tint all around (in VA that's 50/35%) with the good "Crystalline" film, because driving a black car in this area sucks in the summertime

and then there's the stuff I said I wasn't going to do but couldn't resist

- Cobb AccessPort
- VRSF intercooler (not even installed yet, it's below freezing outside! Where's spring?)

At some point I think I would also like to get a bigger oil cooler for peace of mind, will probably get the car fully detailed once spring actually kicks in, and I've been looking longingly at some of the retrofits I haven't done yet that would really make this car "fully loaded" - It looks like if I could just find the right rear view mirror adding the "High Beam Assistant" would be fairly easy even though that's kind of an extraneous feature. I'd also like to try the adaptive cruise control and I kind of miss the PDC that my ex's 330xi has... but I bet both of those are fairly involved retrofits

So does this happen to anyone else? Am I destined to just mess with every car that I ever buy for the rest of my life? Please tell me it's not so...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

It's destiny Nate!! I say keep going, your car looks amazing already, a few more mods and that thing is going to be a beast.

Once you start, you just can't stop....it's happened to all of us.
      04-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

yeah, you're probably right, but this gets expensive after a while...

I didn't even list that I replaced the spark plugs, and paid a local guy to replace the oil filter housing gasket and also change the trans and diff fluids because I don't believe in this "lifetime" stuff.

Since I've had the car something like 6-7 months my cost of ownership per month is astronomical, it better taper off soon!

Another thing that I've been meaning to do and keep forgetting to get it done is eliminating the CDV...
Appreciate 0