E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Left Angel Eye Malfunction --- Help Needed Please!!!

12-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
ironman1982
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Left Angel Eye Malfunction --- Help Needed Please!!!

Long time lurker...first time poster...have always found the answers to my questions without needing to post thanks to the wealth of knowledge here...but I could not find the answer anywhere so I am going to post and see if anyone here can assist.

I bought AngeliBright v3.0 this past spring directly from David at AngeliBright just as he was about to release them to the public. I installed them in April and received absolutely no errors with the setup until October. The left angel eye went out and a corresponding error was displayed on the iDrive interface. It turned out to be the ballast overheating and was quickly replaced under warranty by David. He indicated that the first run of ballasts were having this issue due to the excessive heat they were exposed to within the light housing and that the two modules he sent as replacements were of a newer design. I installed them and ran them for about 6 weeks before the left angel eye went out again. I contacted David and he sent a replacement module again WITH the instructions this time. It appears that the new modules must be installed outside of the light housing and the light housing cover will still snap over the four wires (2 for LED and 2 for 12V PWM power) without damaging them. I had installed them back inside the housing just as I did the first modules. After installing the new modules according to the directions, the left light still did not work. I even reconnected the OEM H8 halogen bulb which also did not work.

I have performed a little troubleshooting on my own with a DMM and it appears that the right side PWM signal from the Footwell Module is approx. 8-9Vrms (measured at the H8 bulb connector with the light switch inside the cockpit turned to the parking light symbol and no headlights on) whereas the left side reading was ~0.08Vrms. So, apparently I have a fuse blown for that side (keeping my fingers crossed) OR there is no separate fuse for each side and it is the Footwell Module (FRM) that is malfunctioning and must be replaced.

As many on these forums have stated, the fuse panel card symbols located in the glove compartment is somewhat confusing as BMW only put symbols on the fuse assignments with no words. I have attached a scan of my fuse card (front and back) for your viewing. My vehicle is a 2009 335i E92 (Sept. 2008 production date). From looking at the card it appears to be either 62, 84, or 86 but both 84 and 86 are 40A fuses which would make them applicable for 480W each (12V*40A) and the 62 fuse is 7.5A making it max of 90W. I recall that the H8 bulbs are 35W each and that the HID D1S bulbs are 35W as well.

Any ideas on what the problem is from some of the more experienced members? Is it a fuse or the FRM? If it's a fuse which one is it?

Thanks so much for any help provided! Hope all had a Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
It's good you got the revised DriverPacks from AiB, it's a step in the right direction. It is very unlikely that the FRM has malfunctioned, during early beta - we had an instance in which the module had to be reset. Unfortunately, only BMW dealer or your local independent have the proper tool to perform this as this requires a GT1/Autologic.

If you were local to our facility, this would only be a 5 minute job.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
ironman1982
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Tom! I am hoping that it is only something like that. I wonder if they will reset it if I still have the AiB installed though. Only one way to find out I guess!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1982 View Post
Thanks Tom! I am hoping that it is only something like that. I wonder if they will reset it if I still have the AiB installed though. Only one way to find out I guess!
I would advise using the stock bulbs so there is nothing left to chance (needs to detect bulb resistance). Let me know if you should need additional help.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

any updates on this? i believe i have the same issue
      06-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Som
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Me too... Any update on this? My left angel eye gets no power. Same observations as OP. Do I need to take my car to the dealer for this??

- Som
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
ironman1982
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry all for being negligent on responding to this thread. Tom was correct in his assessment. Even after replacing the AiB modules with the OEM H8 Halogens the Left Bulb still would not light and an error was still displayed on the instrument cluster and iDrive interface. I own the Bavarian Technic OBD-II tool and the error was displayed on the FRM module and would appear to clear when I initiated the erase/clear errors command for the module. However, the left bulb remained out and the error would re-appear after turning the car off and back on. I dived into the Footwell Module (FRM) section of Bentley manual that I bought in Oct 09 (highly recommend it if you don't already have it) and found that if a bulb is shorted or drawing an excessive amount of current, then the FRM module will disable output to the bulb to protect itself from fire etc. After a certain duration, the module will attempt to re-apply power to the bulb again just in case the condition was somehow intermittent. If the condition remains the it will again shut off power to the trouble bulb. After a handful of these attempts the FRM will permanently disable the output to the bulb if still unsuccessful and produce an error that only the dealer or an independent shop with the scan tool that Tom mentioned can clear. I took it to the BMW dealership and they cleared the code and the light again functioned without issue.

Hope this answers your questions guys! Again, thanks for the help Tom!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

yep same thing happened here...driver side went out and for the love of god it wouldnt work with new bulbs. Probably happened when my lux h8 shorted. You have to change the bulbs back to oem and go to the dealer to clear it...just say" i dunno what happened!!?!?!"
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Don't we have some spare fuses in the fuse box? Specifically fuse #77 for the parking lights.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0