E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Pentagon Window tinting

08-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Pentagon Window tinting

Anyone used them? I have got the GFs Golf booked in to the one in North London next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Yes, the Birmingham branch did my Merc
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

must be good then
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Its OK...not the best I've seen. The quality of tints on my previous black C63 was much better but they were done at the same place too.

Can't beat factory darkened glass IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Its OK...not the best I've seen. The quality of tints on my previous black C63 was much better but they were done at the same place too.

Can't beat factory darkened glass IMO
The thing that worries me is that the glass has the dots on the edge, the fitter says its not that noticable (worse on a BMW) and the job will be first class.

If its fitted by the VW dealer and before I collect the car I can class it as dealer supplied and not strictly after market so its not a modification.

Should I still have it done?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Dealer supplied or even a factory fitted extra is still a modification if your insurers want to be sticky. can't see them getting too excited though about tinted glass to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
You'll never get the same result with a film as you do with factory tints, obviously. That said, i personally hate factory tinted glass as its always way too dark and i dont like the clear front windows and black rear windows unless its on a VAN!!! The RS has factory tinted rear glass and i wish i could change it and have uniformly tinted windows all round - but hey ho.

I always use Pentagon when i get any windows tinted on my cars - there is a local branch to me that now know me very well and take a lot of time to get the result as near perfect as possible as they know what a perfectionist i am. But again, its never going to be as perfect as factory tints and my biggest issue with film is around the micro dots at the outer edge of windows that very often withhold moisture and can look poo. But if you have to get it done then i personally recommend Pentagon.
      08-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
You'll never get the same result with a film as you do with factory tints, obviously. That said, i personally hate factory tinted glass as its always way too dark and i dont like the clear front windows and black rear windows unless its on a VAN!!! The RS has factory tinted rear glass and i wish i could change it and have uniformly tinted windows all round - but hey ho.

I always use Pentagon when i get any windows tinted on my cars - there is a local branch to me that now know me very well and take a lot of time to get the result as near perfect as possible as they know what a perfectionist i am. But again, its never going to be as perfect as factory tints and my biggest issue with film is around the micro dots at the outer edge of windows that very often withhold moisture and can look poo. But if you have to get it done then i personally recommend Pentagon.
Thanks for the info. This Pentagon is in Barnet just a few miles from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post

Agree with all of that Steve-o. Factory tints are too dark IMO. For your RS, can you not replace the rear windows with ones from a regular Focus? I'm sure they're the same size... won't be too costly either I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
For your RS, can you not replace the rear windows with ones from a regular Focus? I'm sure they're the same size... won't be too costly either I don't think.
DAMN!!!! Now thats actually a brilliant idea!! I had genuinely not even thought about that!! I will look into this - thanks Tone!!!
      08-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Carbon Black

Pentagon did my astra coupe years ago and am considering having the new beast tinted also So will have to look into it Agree am not keen on the black rear windows and clear fronts-looks odd so looking for an overall effect all round
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
can you not replace the rear windows with ones from a regular Focus? I'm sure they're the same size... won't be too costly either I don't think.

The 'man' has spoken

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Have only specified a soft tint, smoke I think it called.

Def do not want the limo look
Appreciate 0