E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering Wheel Lock Error?

12-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Steering Wheel Lock Error?

So yesterday my car got would not start at all and I yellow symbol appeared with a steering wheel and lock symbol. The car had to be towed and sent to my dealership. Here's the problem, my dealership can't even figure out whats going on. They spent over hour trying to do something with the computer system, but they were somehow "locked" out of the computer. So it appears that the problem is much deeper.

Any insight? Currently, my cars sits as an immovable brick and it really concerns me that BMW certified technicians can't figure out what is going on after an hour of inspection.
      12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

i seem to remember a weak battery will do that, show the steering wheel lock error. clear the codes+ new battery should solve it.

the steering wheel locks are an issue in older models, many people have had to get their steering columns replaced with the newer updated model that had no locks. its a pretty common thing.
Appreciate 0