E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > keeping NCB for the mrs

06-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

keeping NCB for the mrs

We have just got a lease car which has to be insured in my name, but the other half actually drives it. I'm actually using her old car which is insured in her name, and I'm named driver etc.
I'll be getting another car at some point, how can we keep her NCB discount without her having an insurance policy?

or is the simple answer for her to insure whatever car I have, and I just be the named/main driver?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
We have just got a lease car which has to be insured in my name, but the other half actually drives it. I'm actually using her old car which is insured in her name, and I'm named driver etc.
I'll be getting another car at some point, how can we keep her NCB discount without her having an insurance policy?

or is the simple answer for her to insure whatever car I have, and I just be the named/main driver?
You can only use her NCB on one car and if you stop her insurance, you usually can retain your NCB on paper for 2 years, within which time you need to take out a policy to keep it going - just got off the phone with Admiral as renewal time

If you have two cars, suggest you go main driver on one and named on the other and vice versa with the mrs (if you both need to drive both cars). If you only intend to keep one car, then flip the main driver every year or two (which may not be poss due to your lease conditions)

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
A Missus with NCB?

I think you answered your own question with this "or is the simple answer for her to insure whatever car I have"

Also there are some insurers that will give you a discount based on how long you have been driving as a named driver and take into account that you did have NCB that lapsed etc. It will never be as good as NCB though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
dobbo99
Major
Rep

we don't use her NCB on the new vehicle, shes just named on the policy.
I guess it just makes sense that if we have 2 cars, shes insured as main driver on one of them - probably makes the premiums cheaper for me as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

We have the same issue.

Simply alternate the main driver every year as the NCB lasts 2 years.

Simples

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'm confused. Are you going to be running 3 cars and the leaser will have to have you as the policy holder with your NCB used on that vehicle? Or do you intend to keep the leaser for the misses. Sell her old car which you are currently driving and replace it with something for yourself?

The later just make her the policy holder on your new car.

The former. Keep her as policy holder on the car you are currently driving and either get a multi car under her name for the 3rd car or if you insure it under your name you will probably have to pay a whack as your full NCB will be on the leaser.
      06-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
dobbo99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I'm confused. Are you going to be running 3 cars and the leaser will have to have you as the policy holder with your NCB used on that vehicle? Or do you intend to keep the leaser for the misses. Sell her old car which you are currently driving and replace it with something for yourself?.
exactly this
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'd do what i described above then. If the third car falls under classic status then winner as it will be cheap. If not then check to see if the insurer of either current car will allow you to add another car as a multi car policy under the current policy holders name (Admiral being the main insurer but i think other do it now).

Some insurer will mirror no claims from another policy if they don't do multi car but I never had much luck with the prices when i tried it.

Either way it's no worry. You have to be the policy holder on the leaser so stick your misses on any of the others. Having her on a multi car for both the others under Admiral would be my choice. I've been very happy with the prices on their multi car policies in the past.