E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > What would you do in this situation? (sanity check for damaged shipment)

02-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 2013 335i xDrive

What would you do in this situation? (sanity check for damaged shipment)

I ordered a custom painted mtech rear bumper from a vender listed here on the site. It arrived completely destroyed in multiple pieces and a huge crack in it. I refused shipment and it is being sent back to the seller.

I told the seller this and asked for a new one to be painted and shipped out, however he is saying he is waiting to hear back from the shipping company on the claims process. I checked back with him a couple times but he just said he won't move forward with anything until he hears back from the shipping company about their investigation.

My question is, shouldn't he just send me a replacement product? Why should I have to wait an untold number of weeks while he and the shipping company work out the claim for the shipping damage?

Should I have to wait or should I expect them to send me a new one immediately? Its been 4 weeks since my initial order so I am getting a bit impatient.

Thanks for your advice
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
gxe2se
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 Xdrive

I must side with the seller. FedEx or whomever shipped it will have a claim made against them. It should have had insurance on it.

Ask seller if they can cancel the order, if you are waiting too long. Might have a restocking fee, but depending on the price you paid, the seller might not want to be out of pocket for a painted bumper ($400-$500?)

If it was for a product under >$100 then most likely they would ship out a replacement.

GL.
Appreciate 1
mmmnot412.00
      02-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Insurance was for the seller if the seller contracted the shipping. The OP purchased the item with the delivery as part of the product. Four weeks is unacceptable to be out $500+ due to poor packaging or the seller picking the wrong freight company. I would consider demanding immediate shipment, refund, or threatening to contact your CC company for a charge back.

It'd be different if this was an FOB warehouse purchase where the buyer actually contracted the shipper.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I was in this same situation with a CF front lip I ordered, it arrived with a crack in it. I had a new one shipped out to me with rush delivery before I could get a chance to return the damaged lip to ups. The seller will file the claim and regain their money back for damage in transport, regardless it's not your fault the product arrived damaged and you're not the one whose needing to refund any money so YOU shouldn't be out either your product, time or money for it. I would simply ask for a refund if you are to that point
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxe2se View Post
I must side with the seller. FedEx or whomever shipped it will have a claim made against them. It should have had insurance on it.

Ask seller if they can cancel the order, if you are waiting too long. Might have a restocking fee, but depending on the price you paid, the seller might not want to be out of pocket for a painted bumper ($400-$500?)

If it was for a product under >$100 then most likely they would ship out a replacement.

GL.
Yeah um, no.

The seller picked the freight company, the buyer paid to have a bumper painted and delivered at his door step...what if the freight company says "well the item wasn't packaged properly so we are denying the claim" if so the OP is out of money because the seller don't want to reimburse until they get reimbursed themselves first.

To the OP how did you make the payment? if the seller don't want to send you another bumper and don't want to give you refund then dispute it with C/C company. You are being punished for something completely out of your control, to the seller that's just the price of doing business, something breaks during shipping you replace it then deal with the freight company later, it don't matter if is $10 item or $1000 item, making the customer wait until they finish dealing with the freight/insurance company is poor customer service IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

You should not have to wait. I would consider canceling the order.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #7
MsportFury
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Comp & E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
Yeah um, no.

The seller picked the freight company, the buyer paid to have a bumper painted and delivered at his door step...what if the freight company says "well the item wasn't packaged properly so we are denying the claim" if so the OP is out of money because the seller don't want to reimburse until they get reimbursed themselves first.

To the OP how did you make the payment? if the seller don't want to send you another bumper and don't want to give you refund then dispute it with C/C company. You are being punished for something completely out of your control, to the seller that's just the price of doing business, something breaks during shipping you replace it then deal with the freight company later, it don't matter if is $10 item or $1000 item, making the customer wait until they finish dealing with the freight/insurance company is poor customer service IMO.
+1
      02-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gxe2se View Post

GL.
Yeah um, no.

This. And the vendor's identity shouldn't be kept secret so future buyers know who to avoid. Not hard to guess who it is though...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

This is between the seller and the shipping company, it's bullshit he's making you wait for that dispute to be resolved. He should have sent out a new bumper as soon as there was proof that the first one was destroyed.

Customer service, how does it work?
      02-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I would call the credit card company and tell them that the product was not received. Cancel payment and find another vendor.

The seller can hash things out with the carrier on their own time and nickel after loosing the sale and customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
I would call the credit card company and tell them that the product was not received. Cancel payment and find another vendor.

The seller can hash things out with the carrier on their own time and nickel after loosing the sale and customer.

Exactly.
      02-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

The vendor contracted the shipper, you received damaged goods, let the vendor sort it out. I'd contact your credit card company, dispute the charge and find another vendor. I ordered an MTech2 front bumper for my E46 from one of the vendors and had an issue with it. When I emailed them it turned into a huge string of denials on their part. Easy fix was to never order from them again. Does the vendor have a U in their name?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for the feedback, I sent him an email politely saying I am not going to wait for him to sort it out with the carrier and he should get me a replacement sent out.

If he still refuses I will just ask for a refund or even consider doing a credit card charge back.

For those asking the mtech rear bumper (with paint service) cost around $600 plus $150 shipping
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Don't wait too long.

Some credit card companies don't like to do charge backs after 30 days, sometimes less.

Some unscrupulous fleebay vendors take advantage of that, and keep you on the hook until a charge back cannot be done... of course Paypal is all but useless in disputes unless the seller agrees.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
What I find hard to believe is that a bumper was completely destroyed/cracked just due to poor shipping - was it made from PU?

I could maybe understand if it was made from fiberglass, but PU is very flexible & would be hard to damage just in shipping (unless it was run over with an Abram's tank )

I only ever had one problem with a steel hood having minor damage in shipping - I didn't want to go thru hassle of shipping back so vendor refunded the amount I paid shop to repair the damage immediately - and it was a forum vendor
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Have you seen what UPS does with packages? lol
      02-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #17
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Just refusing a package doesn't automatically open a claim, does it?

Vendor needs to open the claim, and follow up on their own. Agree with the others here.
      02-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

RE:

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback.

Update: The seller got back to me and told me he will paint and send out a new one immediately, so that is good. (he is still waiting for the claim with the shipping company)

Yeah, it is advertised as a PU material so I was surprised it arrived broken. My shop sent me a pic before he refused delivery which I attached below. He said it might be because of the cold weather or just a careless delivery handler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0