Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I need help with my e90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
didinyc
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 Atlantis Blue

I need help with my e90

hey guys, this is my first posting to the forum, so if I make a mistake sorry.

Here is the problem, I bought cpo 2009 335i xdrive sedan with all the packages including sport too. I have potenza re050a rft, 225/40R18 in the front and 225/35R18 rear. Its been 5 months and I already had 3 flat tires due to driving in nyc. all of them were unlucky, how could they have a pot hole on lie, that is as big as a jacuzzi. So i talked to bmw guy he said keep the tires. If you change it, the car will not like it used to be. Then I went to rct performance in flushing which i found it through tirerack and they told me the same thing. I really wanna keep the rims but change the tires maybe same specifications but different brand. Any advice?

thank you so much

didinyc
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

no tire of the same size will survive impacts from huge potholes. It's either your tires go, or your wheels/suspension....

only way to help out is to get taller sidewall tires (225/45 or 245/40), but even this is no guarantee.... you will lose steering response as well.

If you have to drive in NY, I suggest you get an SUV or truck. If you drive your 3 series, you'll always have problems....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
didinyc
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 Atlantis Blue

thanks a lot man, I was thinking to get michelin sport a/s. but those are not rft's. u think it will work good in ny?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
panzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by didinyc View Post
hey guys, this is my first posting to the forum, so if I make a mistake sorry.

Here is the problem, I bought cpo 2009 335i xdrive sedan with all the packages including sport too. I have potenza re050a rft, 225/40R18 in the front and 225/35R18 rear. Its been 5 months and I already had 3 flat tires due to driving in nyc. all of them were unlucky, how could they have a pot hole on lie, that is as big as a jacuzzi. So i talked to bmw guy he said keep the tires. If you change it, the car will not like it used to be. Then I went to rct performance in flushing which i found it through tirerack and they told me the same thing. I really wanna keep the rims but change the tires maybe same specifications but different brand. Any advice?

thank you so much

didinyc
When they say that the car won't be like it used to be, I assume they are referring to switching from RFT to non-RFT. Your steering feel will be slightly lighter (due to lighter tires), and you may get a less responsive/mushier feel to the tires since they are not as stiff as the RFT. I have an 08 328xi and I switched from RFT to non-RFT Conti DWS (and upped the tire pressure to have a more rigid feel like the RFT) and can say that I'm much happier with the ride now. Not sure, but I think the '09s may have a differently-tuned suspension to accomodate for the stock RFTs which may result in a different feel. Search around and you will find reviews of people switching to non-RFT which might help you decide.