E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > THE MOST RECKLESS BMW DEALERSHIP IN THE USA... and their lawyers..

01-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #309
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica335i View Post
I wonder where this story is going to go once BMW searches past posts by the OP and finds out that he installed LCD retrofit taillights on his car against the advise by the dealership that told him they werent compatable with the build date of his car. I'm just thinking that messing with the electrical system of your car could possible lead to problems.

And why on 12/22 did he ask about removing the front tires on the vehicle because he cracked the front rims in an unspecified "accident". You mean he drove this death trap of a car after all that happened with the stearing?

Just saying.
Just saying you suck at reading. He cracked his rims in the accident that started this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #310
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
In any other case you would have hit it right on the nose. My situation is unique because I've made it blatantly clear that I'm not signing a non disclosure that brushes the issue under the rug. I want answers so I can forward them to you guys. BMW doesn't seem to want these answers forwarded to you guys.

So therein lies the problem. While being polite in my correspondences, I'm certainly not "playing nice" by their standards of throwing a few bucks at me so I'll go away. They can keep their money. I've good a good job and stable income. I already bought new wheels anyways to replace the bent ones. It's become an issue at this point where it's about their practice of hiding information and the dangers behind doing so. I want this issue brought to light, they want it to go away.

And if anyone is thinking "why not just sign a non-disclosure and comply if it gets you something?". You've got to look at it this way:

What if I take a sum of money from BMW in exchange for ignoring this. Then I'm helping them conceal the truth. What if six months down the road from now some innocent driver is driving down the road and has the same problem and ISN"T so lucky. What if he not only seriously injures or kills himself, but wipes out three other cars in the process?

Then the blood is just as much on my hands as it is on BMW's because I signed an NDA in which helped them conceal what could very well be critical safety issues that have now seriously injured or killed someone.

I really do appreciate your well wishes toward a resolution but realize that this isn't about reimbursement anymore. In fact, I don't even want it. I want everyone to be informed. When I first came to this board looking for help regarding answers as to why this happened, hundreds of people who didn't even know me went far out of their way to try and help me just for the sake of helping. I'd have to be a real asshole to sign some NDA and run away with a few bucks as opposed to trying to return the contribution to the community that's helped me so much.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #311
TXAutoLaw
Rep
Drives: Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
Probably already posted...maybe you should contact these guys:

http://www.gilardi.com/hpfpsettlement/Contact%20Us.html

1) They already have BMW's ear.
2) Sounds like there are others with the same problem

Can you imagine the publicity if all Active Steering cars have this "potential" issue to NOT Steer.

ABC News, 60 Minutes would have a field day, and rightly so.
Gilardi is a claims administrator, not a law firm. They don't have BMW's or anyone's ear. They are a claims administration company hired merely to administrate the settlement. Contacting Gilardi about anything unrelated to the settlement is a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #312
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica335i View Post
I wonder where this story is going to go once BMW searches past posts by the OP and finds out that he installed LCD retrofit taillights on his car against the advise by the dealership that told him they werent compatable with the build date of his car. I'm just thinking that messing with the electrical system of your car could possible lead to problems.

And why on 12/22 did he ask about removing the front tires on the vehicle because he cracked the front rims in an unspecified "accident". You mean he drove this death trap of a car after all that happened with the stearing?

Just saying.
This happened in the original accident.
I hate to agree but I bet they find a mod or something was related. I hope I'm wrong. I doubt much will happen now that its gone viral. Again...I hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #313
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
deleted

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 01-15-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #314
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
/\

So now that you've exposed this issue to the BMW forums, and has spread throughout the Internet, what's next? Have you seen any tangible changes?
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 01-15-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #315
SantaMonica335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Reading comprehension fail.
Maybe I missed it, but please link anything by the OP from their original thread or from the first 4 pages of this thread that mentions rims. All I have read is the "safe" stop to the soft shoulder using brakes. I would think that if the rims were damaged that would be something that one would want to mention in the original story and not weeks later.

Dont get me wrong. If there was a systemic problem with our vehicles I would definately want to know about it. Especially since I have a build date almost the same as the OP. That said, I've seen way too many posts on this forum by people who claim dealership abuse only to dig deeper and find they had mods, threw codes, removed mods and demanded warrenty service. In this case changing out an electrical module with one that isnt compatable with your build date is suspect in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #316
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

My father used to say, it will only take one time for something to go wrong where it's impossible for it to happen... He was a Colonel in the Air Force with thousand of hours of Sorties and he saw his share of gremlins in his crafts. For the people that are doubting this story, remember that shit happens and Give op the benefit of the doubt. I know most of us want to believe the cars we bought are from a classy company that cares about their products and their customers but at the end of the day they are people and all they care about is their bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #317
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
Everything you need to get caught up is in this thread. You just need to put forth a little more effort.

You can find further reading in the link in my original post.
Where is your car now?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #318
kablammo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1 sDrive, e53 4.4, e36 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAutoLaw
Quote:
Probably already posted...maybe you should contact these guys:

http://www.gilardi.com/hpfpsettlement/Contact%20Us.html

1) They already have BMW's ear.
2) Sounds like there are others with the same problem

Can you imagine the publicity if all Active Steering cars have this "potential" issue to NOT Steer.

ABC News, 60 Minutes would have a field day, and rightly so.
Gilardi is a claims administrator, not a law firm. They don't have BMW's or anyone's ear. They are a claims administration company hired merely to administrate the settlement. Contacting Gilardi about anything unrelated to the settlement is a waste of time.
I'm sure they (Gilardi) know the lawyers that started the class action.

Can a tech on the forum verify if active steering has a fail safe for this model?

Last edited by kablammo; 01-17-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #319
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

[QUOTE=kablammo;11158731]I'm sure they know the lawyers that started the class action.

QUOTE]

if you need the lawyers that started the Fuel Pump class action let me know. They were great to work with and would recommend them.
      01-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #320
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=Quisp;11162791]
Quote:
I'm sure they know the lawyers that started the class action.

QUOTE]

if you need the lawyers that started the Fuel Pump class action let me know. They were great to work with and would recommend them.
Other than those whose lives were endangered, why would anyone join a class action suit over HPFP? BMW fixes your car....and you go home.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #321
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Leaker;11169371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post

Other than those whose lives were endangered, why would anyone join a class action suit over HPFP? BMW fixes your car....and you go home.
That statement doesnt make much sense. How do you determine whose lives were in danger and whose werent? Any car with the faulty pump has the same risk of failure so that would mean everyone is equally at risk. Where and when it fails is part of the problem since noone can say that it wont fail in the middle of an intersection or while you are on the highway in rush hour. Unless you can say, with 100% certainty, that the fuel pump will not fail at a potentially dangerous time for the driver, passengers or anyone else, then how can you say someone is not at risk?

OP sorry for straying off the topic on your thread
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #322
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=Quisp;11172061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post

That statement doesnt make much sense. How do you determine whose lives were in danger and whose werent? Any car with the faulty pump has the same risk of failure so that would mean everyone is equally at risk. Where and when it fails is part of the problem since noone can say that it wont fail in the middle of an intersection or while you are on the highway in rush hour. Unless you can say, with 100% certainty, that the fuel pump will not fail at a potentially dangerous time for the driver, passengers or anyone else, then how can you say someone is not at risk?

OP sorry for straying off the topic on your thread
I won't bother. Where is your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #323
TherealdealBMW
Rep

]Enough already. Lets get some facts out in the open. The same questions keep being asked here and on Jalopnik and the OP isnt answering them. the reason why? The answers would let you all in on the little secret he already knows; Nothing is, or was wrong with his car that caused him to lose control of his steering.

1. You posted the garbage codes from an independent and although they are grossly incomplete, they, combined with the dash shot from Jalopnik and your description all add up to the same failure: A Steering angle sensor. or SZL a common failure in the E90. The SZL is a gateway or required input for the DSC to operate, if the SZL fails the DSC doesnt activate and brake a wheel for no reason. It turns off, letting the driver know it is in this state by leaving the DSC light lit on the dash. Anyone that has ever turned off this function for a dyno or for track time knows thats what the light being lit means. A flashing light means its working, and working correctly. Prove me wrong, post the repair and codes the second dealership did to the car, if its not an SZL i will personally pay for your wheels. P.S. you can unplug an SZL while driving, the SZL monitors the steering it has no effect on it. Active steering or not.
2. Nobody that thinks their car is intermittently losing steering refuses to drive a loaner because its not a BMW and drives their car home, to an independent and then to a second dealership weeks later. They leave the car where it is.
3. The second dealership has the FASTA data once they pulled codes for the car, meaning everything that happened to that car is now in NJ with access to any engineer in the world to look at. "flying someone in" to look at a car that has no codes when the story doesnt add up? ...isnt going to happen.
4. I don't currently work for Penske but i know how they operate, I would bet my last dollar its you that ends up being sued, don't cry wolf unless you have bigger teeth than the wolf.
5. Do any of you other posters that are encouraging or applauding the OP realize the car has been in production for nearly 7 years??? 7 years, millions of miles, tens of thousands of cars on the road. Do you really think some catastrophic or serial problem is going to start showing up now? Really? You are trying to ensure this doesn't happen to other people? saving lives? To anyone but the "experts" on this forum you look and sound like a bunch of muppets. The real enthusiasts at Jalopnik sorted this out in about 4 posts. You guys are on page 19
6. Some bright soul on here used "google-fu" to sniff out a guy they thought worked for Penske, anybody "google-fu" the OP?
7. Post the emails from BMW CR. I know they didn't just hit ignore. They just gave you the same answer i just did and you didn't like it.

OP, ask the mods to close these threads and bail while you still have some dignity. You don't have a case and you aren't going to get out whatever desperate situation you have put yourself in by slipping and falling in the supermarket or finding a needle in your Pepsi.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #324
phillyfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 6AT

So who are you, RealDeal?

Two questions, why were the original "codes" cleared by the dealer when the codes never backed the explanation, at least the explanation the OP has given to the community? Second, are you saying the independent dealer's codes are not real, or just not part of the problem?

And engineers understand corner cases are extremely finicky and extremely difficult to find and then reproduce. I'm not concerned about how long the car has been out or how many miles they have been driven. Stuff happens, I'd just like to understand this better. Off to Jalopnik to see what those "experts" supposedly figured out without any background to BMW engineering (assuming.....).

Went to Jalopnik, no wizardry found over there with a an actual cause/effect. Please point me (us?) to the post that figured it all out...

Last edited by phillyfan; 01-18-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #325
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan View Post
So who are you, RealDeal?
Just some new guy from Arizona with only two posts both in this thread who does not currently work for Penske.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #326
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

It's Dick, he went MIA quick when he was called out but funny how both of them claimed that neither work for the dealer or penske. Companies have collapsed, governments have been over thrown all by the power of social media and I highly doubt a company like penske with bad reputation want to get involved in PR nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #327
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #328
arguru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealdealBMW View Post
]Enough already. Lets get some facts out in the open. The same questions keep being asked here and on Jalopnik and the OP isnt answering them. the reason why? The answers would let you all in on the little secret he already knows; Nothing is, or was wrong with his car that caused him to lose control of his steering.

1. You posted the garbage codes from an independent and although they are grossly incomplete, they, combined with the dash shot from Jalopnik and your description all add up to the same failure: A Steering angle sensor. or SZL a common failure in the E90. The SZL is a gateway or required input for the DSC to operate, if the SZL fails the DSC doesnt activate and brake a wheel for no reason. It turns off, letting the driver know it is in this state by leaving the DSC light lit on the dash. Anyone that has ever turned off this function for a dyno or for track time knows thats what the light being lit means. A flashing light means its working, and working correctly. Prove me wrong, post the repair and codes the second dealership did to the car, if its not an SZL i will personally pay for your wheels. P.S. you can unplug an SZL while driving, the SZL monitors the steering it has no effect on it. Active steering or not.
2. Nobody that thinks their car is intermittently losing steering refuses to drive a loaner because its not a BMW and drives their car home, to an independent and then to a second dealership weeks later. They leave the car where it is.
3. The second dealership has the FASTA data once they pulled codes for the car, meaning everything that happened to that car is now in NJ with access to any engineer in the world to look at. "flying someone in" to look at a car that has no codes when the story doesnt add up? ...isnt going to happen.
4. I don't currently work for Penske but i know how they operate, I would bet my last dollar its you that ends up being sued, don't cry wolf unless you have bigger teeth than the wolf.
5. Do any of you other posters that are encouraging or applauding the OP realize the car has been in production for nearly 7 years??? 7 years, millions of miles, tens of thousands of cars on the road. Do you really think some catastrophic or serial problem is going to start showing up now? Really? You are trying to ensure this doesn't happen to other people? saving lives? To anyone but the "experts" on this forum you look and sound like a bunch of muppets. The real enthusiasts at Jalopnik sorted this out in about 4 posts. You guys are on page 19
6. Some bright soul on here used "google-fu" to sniff out a guy they thought worked for Penske, anybody "google-fu" the OP?
7. Post the emails from BMW CR. I know they didn't just hit ignore. They just gave you the same answer i just did and you didn't like it.

OP, ask the mods to close these threads and bail while you still have some dignity. You don't have a case and you aren't going to get out whatever desperate situation you have put yourself in by slipping and falling in the supermarket or finding a needle in your Pepsi.
Oh hey buddy.

Blow me!

Last edited by arguru; 04-12-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #329
Aacaron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED E92 335i Oct 17

Garage List
2012 335i e92  [0.00]
+1, I love a real life David vs Goliath story. Arguru, I have been following this from the beginning and know exactly the type of people you seem to be dealing with, ego maniac assholes, give them HELL!
      01-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #330
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Mr. "RealDealBMW", could you be so kind as to pass on to us what the people for whom you don't work for at the moment understand to be the worst-case failure mode for the ActiveSteering module? I and others are particularly interested in the fail mode of the active steering stepper motor controller, and how far the motor could slew the steering from a nominal/registered to zero-angle alignment position if the stepper motor position sensor or other related component failed to properly register against the non-augmented steering geometry.

Thank you for the answer in advance.

Regards,
D.