E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

05-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #67
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
That sounds great. I had a 420 as a loaner, i like the looks. Only thing i didnt like was the steering! Its way too light.

Anyways i made it to Murcia, Spain last night. I switched to the Eco map for the first time (roughly 350bhp). I could definitely feel the power drop, didn't feel as crazy on WOT! But my god i love this car. I think i have fallen in love with it again. It did miles like they were nothing and never skipped a beat. It's got power, handling, economy, comfort, badass looks and a great aftermarket audio system. Can't think of any other car i would rather have. Mods were all worth it just for this trip!

It was a joy doing 85mph on open motorways with no traffic, and getting 40mpg back! For a constant 85mph, up hilly terrain too, 40mpg was unbelievable. Before the upgrade i could get 47mpg but that was driving at 70mph.

The amount of flies on the front bumper is sickening! I brought my cleaning supplies with me so looking forward to cleaning it in the evening.
Impressive fuel figures Mo. A real complete package I'd say economy, power, efficiency along with effortless execution
      05-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #68
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Impressive fuel figures Mo. A real complete package I'd say economy, power, efficiency along with effortless execution
Thanks Steve.

After driving around in 30-35c temps in Spain i'm getting 40mpg (calculated from brim to brim and using the Eco map) driving at 80-85mph and 47mpg driving at 70mph (using the 422bhp power map) To be honest the stock mpg on my car was pretty similar, so mpg wise i don't think there is a lot in it, maybe slightly better. I think i need to use the Eco map driving at 70mph to measure it properly, but that's boring!

I have noticed that before the upgrade, my revs used to sit at 1950 @ 70mph (on speedo, so maybe 67-68mph true). Now at 1950 it is exactly 10mph more, so 80mph @1950. At 70mph its 1750 revs.

Another thing i need to get done is to stiffen the chassis. When pushing the car the torque is too much. I'm sure solid aluminium rear subframe bushes, and stiffer rear springs will help greatly. So Steve, have you done rear subframe bushes, and how much do you think you could do the solid aluminium ones for?

But can't commit to it now, have no money and babby on the way in a few months! Need to look for an isofix car seat and pram!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #69
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Edit: not sure if i was talking bollocks in previous post. I just put it on the slow map (290bhp ish) and the revs are the same, i.e 1950@80mph. So maybe previously with no upgrades it was this too.

Can someone with a 335d please confirm what revs your car holds at 70mph and 80mph on cruise?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #70
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just under 2k rpm at 80mph.

My old E46 was 1900 rpm at 70mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #71
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77
Just under 2k rpm at 80mph.

My old E46 was 1900 rpm at 70mph.
Thanks mate. Thats confirmed then not much difference in the revs then. Dunno why i thought it was near 2k at 70mph previously...

It's weird as i would have thought increasing the power that much would have decreased the revs required for a certain cruise speed. Maybe i'm not seeing this right and its not as simple as that.

Definite power difference though. The 290bhp map felt like the turbos were off!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #72
Iforb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D/E92 335D

The power you have won't make any difference to the RPM and speed. You need to change the drive ratios for that, so either the gearbox or diff gearing needs to be changed.

All that more power means is that you could hold a higher gear (therefore lower RPM) at a certain speed, which could decrease fuel consumption or you can accelerate harder at any given RPM, as you have a greater amount of excess power for a certain speed/gear, which is what defines how fast you accelerate.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #73
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforb
The power you have won't make any difference to the RPM and speed. You need to change the drive ratios for that, so either the gearbox or diff gearing needs to be changed.

All that more power means is that you could hold a higher gear (therefore lower RPM) at a certain speed, which could decrease fuel consumption or you can accelerate harder at any given RPM, as you have a greater amount of excess power for a certain speed/gear, which is what defines how fast you accelerate.
Still don't get it

You say the increase wont make a difference to RPM and speed, but then you say you can hold a lower rpm at a certain speed.

Anyways little update. I will be fitting custom swift springs with a rate of 672lb/in in a couple of weeks. The stock Ohlins can not handle the torque. I will also need to do the aluminium subframe bushes.

So much for not spending now
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #74
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Still don't get it

You say the increase wont make a difference to RPM and speed, but then you say you can hold a lower rpm at a certain speed.

Anyways little update. I will be fitting custom swift springs with a rate of 672lb/in in a couple of weeks. The stock Ohlins can not handle the torque. I will also need to do the aluminium subframe bushes.

OP awesome upgrade

With regards to iforb's post, the rpm at a certain speed is determined by gearing ie if your top gear is 40mph / 1000rpm then at 2000 rpm you'll be doing 80mph, your power upgrades won't affect this, apart from getting there more quickly The additional power and torque means that you are can probably travel around in higher gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #75
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #76
Iforb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D/E92 335D

Quote:
Still don't get it

If you have more power, then you need a certain amount of power to hold a certain gear at a certain speed. If you have more power, then you could (depending on the drive ratios you've got) for example hold 6th where previously you needed 5th. You need a certain amount of power available to stop the engine from stalling.

Without changing the gearbox or overall drive ratios, then you will still have the same speed at the same RPM. It doesn't matter if you have a million horsepower or 50. As long as you have enough power to turn the gear, then at say 90 mph in 6th, you'll still be around 2500rpm.
The amount of throttle you are using will be very different though, as with more power you need the same power to hold the speed, but the amount of throttle needed to give you that power is less.

Another way to think about it is that if you hit the rev limiter in each gear already with a standard car, then with more power you'll still hit the rev limiter at exactly the same speed. The only difference is that you'll get to the speed faster as you accelerate quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #77
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai888 View Post
OP awesome upgrade

With regards to iforb's post, the rpm at a certain speed is determined by gearing ie if your top gear is 40mph / 1000rpm then at 2000 rpm you'll be doing 80mph, your power upgrades won't affect this, apart from getting there more quickly The additional power and torque means that you are can probably travel around in higher gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforb View Post
If you have more power, then you need a certain amount of power to hold a certain gear at a certain speed. If you have more power, then you could (depending on the drive ratios you've got) for example hold 6th where previously you needed 5th. You need a certain amount of power available to stop the engine from stalling.

Without changing the gearbox or overall drive ratios, then you will still have the same speed at the same RPM. It doesn't matter if you have a million horsepower or 50. As long as you have enough power to turn the gear, then at say 90 mph in 6th, you'll still be around 2500rpm.
The amount of throttle you are using will be very different though, as with more power you need the same power to hold the speed, but the amount of throttle needed to give you that power is less.

Another way to think about it is that if you hit the rev limiter in each gear already with a standard car, then with more power you'll still hit the rev limiter at exactly the same speed. The only difference is that you'll get to the speed faster as you accelerate quicker.
Think i get it now guys, i wasn't thinking properly. Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Thanks buddy!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #78
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Been constantly using the power map, even on the way to work. It is so addictive. Really want to hit Santa Pod one of these days but don't have a lot of time.

Update: Ordered Custom rear Swift springs from Harold@HPA on the weekend. 9" 672lb/ft for whoever is interested.

Anyways ever since i had the Ispiri wheels i wanted to change the centre wheel caps. Problem was OEM BMW centre wheel caps don't fit So i had 2 options.

One option was to order custom manufactured centre caps that cost around £120 shipped. Instead i bought 68mm BMW centre cap stickers for £5, which look better than expected. I thought they would be flimsy stickers, but it feels like they have some metal in them and have a curve.

Which caused a problem. My plan was to stick them onto my Ispiri wheel caps, which are completely flat! So what i did was stick a bit of butyl tape on the Ispiri centre cap, and just pressed the metal stickers on. Been a couple of days now and they look solid.

Will try and get some pics up this weekend. I think they look better with the BMW badges.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #79
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Just been able to skim through bits of this. Did you try Santa Pod yet OP?

What time and trap speed are you expecting. Go on take a guess
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #80
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Just been able to skim through bits of this. Did you try Santa Pod yet OP?

What time and trap speed are you expecting. Go on take a guess
Not yet mate really want to go.

What time should you try to go? Do you have to turn up at 8.30am? Can you pay when you get there?

Time wise i have no idea! At the moment i'm sure my 60ft time will be shite, very hard to launch perfectly. Tbh i don't really launch the car normally so practice is needed. Perhaps trap speed wise i may do better as less skill is involved, i hope!

Would be good to measure data before and after rear springs/subframe bushes upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #81
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Didn't get a chance to give her a wash but here are some pics:

And the AKG 75D rear subframe bushes. Really can't wait to get these and the 672lb/in rear swifts on!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #82
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

And the AKG 75D rear subframe bushes. Really can't wait to get these and the 672lb/in rear swifts on!!!

Looking good Mo. Stickers for the centre caps look fine tbh And should hold well.

What was the reason you went with the Swift springs?
      06-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #83
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:

Looking good Mo. Stickers for the centre caps look fine tbh And should hold well.

What was the reason you went with the Swift springs?
Thanks Raj.

Well ever since i had the higher power the rear has felt worse than before. I think the rear springs were probably just about ok for stock power (even though some people say they are too soft), but now i can definitely feel it. It squats on acceleration, and when cornering hard you can feel the rear playing a sort of catch up. On straight line hard acceleration the car goes to the left.

Hard to tell if its the springs or subframe bushes or even something else, so i'm just doing both as it's something which could help. Not too worried about the ride getting worse as that should be the job of the springs/dampers.

Hopefully things will improve. If the car still has the sympton of going to the left then i will try a diff lockdown kit, which isnt that expensive IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #84
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks Raj.

Well ever since i had the higher power the rear has felt worse than before. I think the rear springs were probably just about ok for stock power (even though some people say they are too soft), but now i can definitely feel it. It squats on acceleration, and when cornering hard you can feel the rear playing a sort of catch up. On straight line hard acceleration the car goes to the left.

Hard to tell if its the springs or subframe bushes or even something else, so i'm just doing both as it's something which could help. Not too worried about the ride getting worse as that should be the job of the springs/dampers.

Hopefully things will improve. If the car still has the sympton of going to the left then i will try a diff lockdown kit, which isnt that expensive IIRC.
Interesting and understandable then from what you've said. However can you not dial the dampers in to reduce the squatting you get from acceleration etc? Would have thought Ohlins would have set the spring rates to work well with the dampers throughout the dampers adjustment range. Just a thought to try it before fitting he springs.
The shifting to the left could possibly be alignment too. The slightest difference from each side could have the effect you mention. Again worth a check.

Look forward to the installs.
      06-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #85
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Raj i'll have a play with the dampers, to be fair they are on the soft side at the moment. I guess when you increase the power to a lot more than what the car was designed for then issues like this will arise. I never had any squat on stock power!

Another reason why i think the rear ohlins is soft. When i came back from Spain i had one passenger in the back and a full boot. Rear was literally slammed, and tires were rubbing on dips. Not nice

Already ordered the springs, they should be here this week
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #86
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Thanks Raj i'll have a play with the dampers, to be fair they are on the soft side at the moment. I guess when you increase the power to a lot more than what the car was designed for then issues like this will arise. I never had any squat on stock power!

Another reason why i think the rear ohlins is soft. When i came back from Spain i had one passenger in the back and a full boot. Rear was literally slammed, and tires were rubbing on dips. Not nice

Already ordered the springs, they should be here this week
Time for Air homie
      06-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #87
BirdsEye
Private
Rep

This car is quickly becoming one of my favourite. I'm really interested in how the subframe bushes work out, I can feel the 'slop' even standard so would probably upgrade before a remap. Keep up the good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #88
Jim1985
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Loving this! Subscribed for fellow 335d inspiration! Not sure I can wait until next year to get mine mapped, you've got me craving power!

Also, if you're planning a e90post track day and its not too far away, Im in!
Appreciate 0