E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Electronics: Audio / Video / Phone / Alarm / Navigation / Radar > "Short review: Custom Earthquake SWS-8 / SWS-8x spacers"

08-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #89
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

I'm also trying to get some ideas on prep for the enclosure before dropping them in my car. I see some are wrapping the insides with Dynamat... does that provide any noticeable benefit with the SWS-8?

Has anyone applied foam tape, rubber or silicone sealant around the spacer to ensure the baffle is airtight, and is that worth using once I notch out the spacer to pass wire through?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #90
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
I already did this install using JT's spacers and the SWS 8XI (2ohms), and the fit was simply PERFECT. No drilling, modifying, removal of bottom ribs, or anything!! Just drop and screw back in place!! JT's the man!

One less mystery out there..
Thanks for the info! This should help more people out, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
+1 here. I finally got a new set of SWS-8Xi drivers (2-ohm, black cone) and just did a trial fit of JT's spacers on an extra set of enclosures I have laying around.

The Earthquake driver drops in over the spacer a bit snugly but tightens down easily and uniformly. My spacers are about 4 months old and made with blue plastic instead of black, but I assume the template is the same. The only thing I noticed is the grill spacer doesn't have notches on the front-side (open end) and don't fit flush with the enclosure. I assume this won't be an issue once I get them installed and tuck the carpet around the grill.
Glad they're working out for you too, man! Oddly enough, the color has changed a few times. I hate doing this, as it varies when people write reviews, but I do my best to keep the costs down. Currently the material is white and black, but it's all the same and completely unseen once the install is finished anyway.

Quote:
I'm also trying to get some ideas on prep for the enclosure before dropping them in my car. I see some are wrapping the insides with Dynamat... does that provide any noticeable benefit with the SWS-8?

Has anyone applied foam tape, rubber or silicone sealant around the spacer to ensure the baffle is airtight, and is that worth using once I notch out the spacer to pass wire through?
I actually did it with and without and didn't hear a difference; however, I sold a set to someone else that reported a pretty big difference. I guess, if you have the time, it doesn't hurt to do so. I believe the weather stripping is around $3.00 and most hardware stores.

Post up what you decide to do!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #91
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
ALSO, I have a spare set of spacers in red plastic right now that has a slight imperfection (one of the cuts was off). It doesn't impact fitment AT ALL and they'll still work flawlessly.

If anyone wants these, I'll give them away for the cost of shipping. Unbiased thoughts on the product is always welcome too!

First come, first serve via PM only!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #92
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
ALSO, I have a spare set of spacers in red plastic right now that has a slight imperfection (one of the cuts was off). It doesn't impact fitment AT ALL and they'll still work flawlessly.

If anyone wants these, I'll give them away for the cost of shipping. Unbiased thoughts on the product is always welcome too!

First come, first serve via PM only!
Ooh ooh! YGM!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #93
mcab
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93

Got my spacers yesterday...Thanks jtsherri, for the super quick shipping! The quality looks great, can't wait to try these...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:37 AM   #94
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

So these do fit the XI then?

Quote:
Thanks for the info! This should help more people out, for sure!

Glad they're working out for you too, man! Oddly enough, the color has changed a few times. I hate doing this, as it varies when people write reviews, but I do my best to keep the costs down. Currently the material is white and black, but it's all the same and completely unseen once the install is finished anyway.

I actually did it with and without and didn't hear a difference; however, I sold a set to someone else that reported a pretty big difference. I guess, if you have the time, it doesn't hurt to do so. I believe the weather stripping is around $3.00 and most hardware stores.

Post up what you decide to do!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #95
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep

They fit my SWS-8Xi subs without issue. Mine have a black-painted basket and black cone.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #96
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
They fit my SWS-8Xi subs without issue. Mine have a black-painted basket and black cone.
They sealed well? I was under the impression that they didn't fit the SWS-8XI?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #97
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh yes. It was a bit of a tight fit and the inner diameter is about 1mm smaller than indicated on the mounting template sheet, but they dropped right in and were airtight once I torqued the mounting screws down.

My SWS-8xi subs are brand new in the updated box-- it's predominantly white instead of black and indicates 2ohm on the front of the box.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #98
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh yes. It was a bit of a tight fit and the inner diameter is about 1mm smaller than indicated on the mounting template sheet, but they dropped right in and were airtight once I torqued the mounting screws down.

My SWS-8xi subs are brand new in the updated box-- it's predominantly white instead of black and indicates 2ohm on the front of the box.
Thanks for confirming all of this, man - I greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #99
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming all of this, man - I greatly appreciate it!
No problem! I just did the swap one more time and took some pictures for proof. I don't think you've made any changes to the template, only the plastic used to create the spacers. Again, mine are about 3-4 months old and blue in color.

SWS-8xi with a black cone

Completely unmodified spacer

Bam! Fingers. SWS-8xi drops right in and tightens down as-is.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #100
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Awesome! Good lookin' out, man - I really appreciate it!

And you are correct, the plastic is the only thing that really changes. I think we have red, blue, white and black floating around now. They're currently black and will stay that way for a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #101
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

Just got my spacers. Thx for the fast shipment. I'll be installing over the weekend. I'm also running the 2ohm version of the sws, so I'll post anything i find while installing them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #102
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

I'm in the process of doing this upgrade but I'm so confused as to what earthquakes to buy??? the sws-8's or Xi's?? Does the impedance matter? Your spacer is designed for the 8's yes but will also fit the xi's, am I correct in saying that?

The reason for impedance question being that I'm getting the bmw alpine speaker upgrade which has an amplifier. This will be used to drive the subs as well and hence am worried I'd buy wrong subs. Please help.

JT..I'm in UK and would definitely buy a set of your spacers. Hopefully, some helpful posters can clear up my questions before I do so.

Cheers

Tiko
      08-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #103
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
I'm in the process of doing this upgrade but I'm so confused as to what earthquakes to buy??? the sws-8's or Xi's?? Does the impedance matter? Your spacer is designed for the 8's yes but will also fit the xi's, am I correct in saying that?

The reason for impedance question being that I'm getting the bmw alpine speaker upgrade which has an amplifier. This will be used to drive the subs as well and hence am worried I'd buy wrong subs. Please help.
I have a U.S.-model 2010 with the base audio (stereo) system that's the same as you guys get. I'm going with a custom upgrade path but considered the Alpine upgrade kit at one point.

I recall one thread among UK members who added the Alpine upgrade with SWS-8 subwoofers, but I don't recommend it-- I don't believe the Alpine amplifier will provide enough power to properly drive the SWS-8 subwoofers and you'll be left with a midbass frequency gap. You're best off by swapping out the 6.5" speakers (under the seats) with a pair of OEM Logic7 8" midbass drivers.

If you do decide to go with the SWS-8s, impedance won't matter much with the Alpine amp-- it uses Class-D amplification rated for 4-ohm loads. The power rating is somewhat disputed, but it seems as if its output is 40W/channel @ 4ohms. You may get 50W/channel on 2-ohm stereo.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #104
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Thanks for your post Imperator.

Let me get this right then...the amp powers the bass drivers and mids on 2 channels. The tweeters are also powered but the rears use head unit feed yeah? So basically you can't run the 2 channels alone on amp?? I too have heard that the alpine amp wasn't sufficent and that the blaupunkt equivilant was better but some others say the opposite. More confusion beckons it seems.....
      08-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #105
Nisselauda
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 F33 435iX M-sport

jtsherri

Thanks for the fast shipping to Sweden. Got my spacers and they look great!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #106
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
Thanks for your post Imperator.

Let me get this right then...the amp powers the bass drivers and mids on 2 channels. The tweeters are also powered but the rears use head unit feed yeah? So basically you can't run the 2 channels alone on amp?? I too have heard that the alpine amp wasn't sufficent and that the blaupunkt equivilant was better but some others say the opposite. More confusion beckons it seems.....

I'd imagine most decent class-AB amplifiers with additional power and a better slew rate will sound better than the class-D Alpine amp.

The Alpine amplifier takes its input from the front (full-range) high-level channels and splits the front door/tweeters with the subs. It outputs (suspected) 40W X 4, driving the door mids and tweeters on two channels and the subwoofers on the other two channels.

The included wiring harness bridges the door speakers and the under-seat subwoofers at the branch-audio connector located under each front seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #107
Snowman2154
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

PM Me

Please PM me.... I am interested in your spacers for an e60
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #108
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

I just installed my SWS-8 subs over the weekend in my 2009 E90 M3 using jtsherri's spacer kit. Everything went in very cleanly. Highly recommended!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #109
LP Trading
Registered
Rep
Drives: Titanium silver metalic 325i

SWS-8 Spacers

Got my SWS-8 Spacers from jtsherri recently.Shipping was fast.Great Product,sure saves alot of time and energy not trying to make these myself.Keep up the good work Jason.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #110
Snowman2154
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

I am interested in a set of spacers. Can you email me at jhorn@crmevolved.com
Appreciate 0