E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Is XTi good DSLR for a beginner like me? also what are the differences on lens?

03-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
E92 maniac
LURKER
United_States
Rep
Drives: CAUTIOUSLY

Is XTi good DSLR for a beginner like me? also what are the differences on lens?

I am trying to get my first DSLR, and i have seen some very good price on the XTi, due to the soon to be released XSi. i am wondering if XTi will be a good choice for me as a beginner. Or would you guys recommend me getting the XSI? what are some major differences on the lens? the 15mm......and on. As for photo editing, im using adobe lightroom. i am not really familiar with the program as i am just playing around with it. any of you guys use lightroom? sorry for askin so many questions. any advice and comment would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

The XTi is very good for a beginner, it's what I'm currently using.

The common kit lens is the 18-55mm. It's not great, but it's good to start with and gets a worse reputation than it deserves in my opinion. The lower the number for the lens' focal length, the wider it is.

But, I would recommend getting the XTi, body only. And get the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS lens along with it (serpeately). For CF cards, SanDisk are the only ones I use. Don't get any "cheap" cards.

I've used Adobe Lightroom and it has some good features. I had already been using Photoshop for quite a while, so I just stick with it. I found Lightroom a little confusing, but that's probably because I was used to PS.

Lenses in general, really vary. The Canon L lenses are their top of the line range. More expensive, but very good performers. If you get an L lens at one point, I'd recommend one of the 70-200mm lenses. THere are four different ones, which have different options regarding aperture and the Image Stabilization feature. The lower the number representing the aperture (f/2.8, f/4, etc), denotes how wide the aperture can be. The wider the aperture, the more light is let into the sensor, which allows shooting faster shutter speeds when desired. So, when possible, buy one with as wide an aperture as you can afford.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

It's all about the fit in your hand. The price of the XSi is rather steep for an entry level, I'd compare it to the Nikon D80. Go to a good store, play with both Canon's, and try out the Nikon D40x and D80 while you are there. What feels more natural to you? The camera should be an extension of your hand, so it needs to be comfortable and somewhat intuitive. It's only a light-tight box with a hole in it. What matters is the skill of the person holding the camera.

-------------------------
There are a lot of really good threads on this topic (one camera vs. another)

Here are a bunch of replies I've posted, maybe they'll help...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=26

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=29

and check out this entire thread. It's worth reading at least the first couple pages...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94255

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
....The lower the number representing the aperture (f/2.8, f/4, etc), denotes how wide the aperture can be. The wider the aperture, the more light is let into the sensor, which allows shooting faster shutter speeds when desired....
to the OP - good advice here. Just to clarify, the lower the f/ number, the wider the aperature and generally, better the lens. Larger f/ stops (smaller f/ stop #'s) give you more creative control for depth of field.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
E92 maniac
LURKER
United_States
Rep
Drives: CAUTIOUSLY

thanks for the responses! your threads are really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i bought one a while back and i love it. i went and got myself a 18-200mm lens with stabilization. the quality of it isnt perfect, but it serves my needs well enough
Appreciate 0