E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Random limp modes......

06-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Random limp modes......

Hey, so my car has been in limp mode three times in the last six months that I can remember, and each time it eventually reset itself. No long cranks or anything that is evidence of failing HPFP. Here is the story behind each time.

#1: (early January) Car went into limp mode and engine shuddered moderately after driving about 25 mins on the interstate. Finished the rest of the 45 min total trip and tried starting again. Still in limp mode. Went to bed and started it the next morning, no limp mode. Took it to dealer, and it threw a misfiring code, but Service Advisor said it could have been easily a glitch in the system and to not worry about it yet, but bring it in again if it happened again soon. No limp mode again for 5 months.

#2: (early May, roughly) Car went into limp mode after driving just under an hour on the interstate, immediately after I accelerated at WOT back onto interstate on a long straight on-ramp after getting gas (had to have fun with that, haha). Engine shuddered somewhat violently, so I pulled over on shoulder and cut engine off. Waited for a minute, turned engine back on, no limp mode. Finished my 3.5 hour trip with no issues whatsoever.

#3: (late May) Car went into limp mode while approaching a stop light. No shuddering that I really can remember. Shut car off once stopped at the light, then started again. No more limp mode. That is the last time I have seen limp mode at all.

Guys, should I be concerned about this, or is this just likely my car just having a glitch every now and then and I should just not worry about it? I wish I had paid attention to the oil temp when these instances happened, but didn't. I have a 6MT, so I should have the factory oil cooler, right?
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Mine limped about 4 times over a 5-6 week period before the HPFP finally just died one day. There is a very high chance your HPFP is struggling at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Mine limped about 4 times over a 5-6 week period before the HPFP finally just died one day. There is a very high chance your HPFP is struggling at this point.
Really? Hmmm....in that case I might just hold off on getting a JB3 for a while until it's been a while since I had a limp issue, or the HPFP just finally dies. I've got 5,000 miles left on my overall warranty left anyway, no need in risking voiding that if anything other than the HPFP goes bad (thank you BMW for extended HPFP warranty!)
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Reduced power and shuddering happened to me and the dealer simply repgrogrammed my car and I haven't had any problems since. I do have rough idling at times so I know the fuel pump will eventually go out in time. I'd really like BMW to recall all these fuel pumps since they're known to have issues but I guess an extended warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn View Post
I'd really like BMW to recall all these fuel pumps since they're known to have issues but I guess an extended warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles will suffice.
Why should they recall it? Have you seen any evidence to suggest they have a fix for the fuel pump? I sure haven't. There are still '09s with dying HPFPs. If they don't have a fix, there's no reason to do a recall. I wouldn't want them to replace my working HPFP with another that has a chance of dying next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Look toward the front of the passenger's wheel well for some vents as evidence of the oil cooler - If you are stock, it could be a variety of things; hpfp, plugs, injectors, gas.

Time to take it in again, and yes hold off an a tune until it is sorted out.
Appreciate 0