E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 37.2 software + new HPFP (943) + Procede = ?

04-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsswain View Post
Doesn't the log show boost lagging, compared to pre-software update. Both go WOT at the same time but the boost building profiles are much different.

(assume blue line is pre, black is post)
Blue and black are not pre and post. In the case of boost, blue is target, and black is actual. In the case of throttle black is target, and blue is actual.

Since the Procede completely controls boost and does not utilise the DME boost control as some other products do, I would not expect any change in lag due to a DME flash change... as it is the Procede... not DME that is controlling boost. It is the mechaincal hardware of the engine that sets how the boost responds to the Procede... not the DME flash.

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #24
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Nope. One line is Procede boost target (set point) and the other is actual boost. Unlike other piggies, he Procede controls boost independant of the dme. So even if a new dme update changed boost mapping and castrated low end or partial throttle boost/torque, the Procede tune would run exactly the same as it did before the dme update. We saw the writing on the wall last year and predicted that piggybacking the boost control system would not be feasible eventually.

Shiv
Always thinking one step ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Blue and black are not pre and post. In the case of boost, blue is target, and black is actual. In the case of throttle black is target, and blue is actual.

Since the Procede completely controls boost and does not utilise the DME boost control as some other products do, I would not expect any change in lag due to a DME flash change... as it is the Procede... not DME that is controlling boost. It is the mechaincal hardware of the engine that sets how the boost responds to the Procede... not the DME flash.

Adrian
So basically, no matter what fuel pump, DME flash, or Progman software we update, the Procede is the only tune for the N54 that won't be affected with future updates BMW throws at it?

I wonder if the voltage was higher on the previous fuel pumps before replacing as well as the software updates (37.2). Did BMW re-configure the voltage with the new software?
I believe that an alteration of voltage has has something to do with it.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
So basically, no matter what fuel pump, DME flash, or Progman software we update, the Procede is the only tune for the N54 that won't be affected with future updates BMW throws at it?
Yes, i think that is safe to say.

Quote:
I wonder if the voltage was higher on the previous fuel pumps before replacing as well as the software updates (37.2). Did BMW re-configure the voltage with the new software?
I believe that an alteration of voltage has has something to do with it.
According to my contacts at BMW NA, the bulk of the update involved having the low pressure fuel pump prime the fuel system before start-up. On top of that, start-up time was dropped from 3 seconds to 1/4 second. Although I'm not entirely sure what that bit means.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #26
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
According to my contacts at BMW NA, the bulk of the update involved having the low pressure fuel pump prime the fuel system before start-up. On top of that, start-up time was dropped from 3 seconds to 1/4 second. Although I'm not entirely sure what that bit means.

Shiv
So, basically they're just masking the early symptom of the HPFP dying by priming before start-up (to eliminate the long crank). Which doesn't stop the pumps from failing, it just stops the early warning sign. Which means more guys will be left on the side of the road, as they won't know the HPFP is going until it's too late.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #27
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Very interesting Shiv! I don't doubt what you say one bit, but I'm curious why BMW would be so friendly with you, considering they technically consider your tune to be putting extra stress on the car components, and therefore, bringing on extra warranty claims (seeing almost everyone would remove their units before going in to get something fixed).

What do they have to gain?
I'm willing to bet that BMW, for the most part, doesn't care that there are tuned N54s running around destroying their competition. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the BMWNA guys had tunes themselves. I bet the majority of it comes from the lawyers CYA-type reactions, and we all have to remember that tuning these cars IS modifying it. If everyone was responsible about it and didn't hold BMW responsible for mod-related stuff, I don't think there would be any issues to begin with.

But, judging by the recent thread with the kid who got air over a dip in the road then wanted BMW to fix his screwed up front end under warranty, that is not always the case.
      04-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #28
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
the bulk of the update involved having the low pressure fuel pump prime the fuel system before start-up.
Just like EFI cars have been doing for many years (excluding the HPFP part).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #29
sandare
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 2016

i had the new hpfp replaced to the latest (943) for about three months when it just came out. this is my third hpfp after 22k. my dealer didn't update my software, he said it's not necessary. i am running on 31.0 version. i have the PROcede V4 running smoothly installed a week after the 943 hpfp. The car starts golden in 1/4 second. never had a problem anymore. i push my car hard everyday. my car is all stock but the Procede. it was the best toy that i ever bought for myself. the car drives like a bee, super responsive and agressive.

on the other hand i don't think bmw thinks bad of shiv. like another member said, a lot of folks buy this car because it's so tunable. and to them after the warranty is out, all those tuned car that 'might' break more, bmw will make money selling parts no? it's a win-win situation for bmw however u think about it.

thanks shiv. keep up the good work.

Last edited by sandare; 04-30-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #30
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Shiv, I think it's great the Procede doesn't have any issues with this newest software.

Have you read this guy's experience with it? He was running the JB3, and he said his whole dash lit up like a Xmas tree after the upgrade, with the JB3 in, and he had to remove it.

Any idea why the JB3 is having issues with this newest software (or at least in his case), but Procede isn't? Could it be that your Procede is on the MSD80 ECU and with the MSD81 ECU, the Procede might also have issues like his car?

Here's his thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382815

Last edited by Glowin; 05-05-2010 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #31
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Shiv, I think it's great the Procede doesn't have any issues with this newest software.

Have you read this guy's experience with it? He was running the JB3, and he said his whole dash lit up like a Xmas tree after the upgrade, with the JB3 in, and he had to remove it.

Any idea why the JB3 is having issues with this newest software (or at least in his case), but Procede isn't? Could it be that your Procede is on the MSD80 ECU and with the MSD81 ECU, the Procede might also have issues like his car?

Here's his thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382815
shiv has MSD81