E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

06-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #1233
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
What would I tell the autologic shop specifically when asking them to turn on the album art stuff? And oddly it seems that my usb dock cable thing isnt charging my iphone.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #1234
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
What would I tell the autologic shop specifically when asking them to turn on the album art stuff? And oddly it seems that my usb dock cable thing isnt charging my iphone.
There's nothing to turn on as the actual software is not there, only the variables.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #1235
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Wait so album art will work with my Apple Cable?!

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #1236
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Updated news on the iPhone 4 front. I'm cross posting this from another thread that I posted in:

Well, here's the good news. For grins, I plugged in the 6FL cable this morning to see what it would do with my iPhone 4.

I got this message (which is NOT the one I kept getting with my 3GS):

Upon clicking dismiss, I drove to an appointment, using the phone to play music, as 6FL was intended (well, partially, anyway).

When I got to the appointment, I used the phone for various things (unplugged), and when I got back into the car, the battery showed 96%, before plugging it back in.

I drove to work, and once I got there, the battery showed 100% again.

Now, I don't know what's different between the 3GS and the 4, but I'm definitely getting better results this time around (I dare say intended results, aside from the message on the screen).

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #1237
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I concur. My iPhone 4 charged and played as expected yesterday using the original 6FL adapter. My iPhone 3G would not charge- did play correctly. I have iDrive in 2008 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #1238
mpc325
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i xDrive

New 328 xDrive 6FL iPod Problems

I picked up a new 2010 328i xDrive this week and have experienced a series of deteriorating problems and wanted to see if others have experienced this. I've searched this thread and seemed to have seen others have some problems too but possibly not exactly like mine. Apologies if I missed something already discussed in the thread.

- Originally I had the 5G iPod just cut out and go to radio and them come back within a minute
-Also had the radio lock-up in AUX mode after dropping the iPod. Reset iPod and restarted car - everything was fine for a few days -with intermittent drops
-Yesterday, radio would only show AUX mode and won't even recognize iPod. iPod and direct use of AUX line both went dead. iPod also no longer goes to "OK to Disconnect" - i.e. doesn't seem to recognize the car anymore. While I temporarily lost the ability to play directly through the AUX line, that now seems to be restored, I'm now at least able to do that.

Tried my daughter's iPod Touch (OS 3.xx) and my iPhone (iOS4) and neither were recognized.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this? I'm going to dealer on Monday and will report back.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #1239
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You have three options...

- OEM iPod adapter: dealer installed
- OEM USB/iPod adapter: not available in the USA but can be ordered in Europe
- mObridge iPod adapter: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1651
Technic, do you know if Option II, - OEM USB/iPod adapter: not available in the USA but can be ordered in Europe, is still available and will it work on an 07 e92 with navi? I heard that folks can't order Euro parts any more.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #1240
CoastalJay
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i/4 in Montego Blue

Some info from the tech-front... Looks like BMW is planning to add iPod menu like control in the nav of BMW and Mini models. This would be using iOS4's iPod Out feature, and could be a great addition!

It doesn't specifically state whether this will be an option on pre-2011 models, (I'm praying it is... please join me ) but it's a step in the right direction.

Hopefully this will be rolled into a firmware / BMW software upgrade.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/b...001s-finest-u/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #1241
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

iOS 4 issues on a 2G iPod Touch. The car recognizes that an iPod is connected, but won't play anything. The only way I can get it to play is to press play BEFORE connecting it to the car, and then it picks up from the current location. But I can no longer use the car controls to rewind or FF, and the display (non-iDrive) doesn't show the song title.

Functionality is very restricted, obviously. I wonder if this has something to do with the general sluggishness the iPod has been experiencing since the update. Seems like memory is maxed out, and maybe it just can't support the BMW integration any more, for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #1242
Swervedriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Just took delivery today of new 320D with Prof Nav with USB today. I can get my Ipod to play through iDrive using the apple connector (no Y cable) but get no album art. Does anybody have any tips / instructions on how to get the album art to appear?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #1243
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

Guys, sorry for the stupid question but I have a 57 reg 320D SE with the BMW ipod cable and a latest generation touch through the usb interface (no sat nav) - works fine, no worries.

My wife has an iphone 3gs. Before she upgraded to the latest OS, it worked fine with my setup.

My company are about to supply me with an iphone 4g with the latest OS and I am planning to get a 320D ED around about November time with no sat nav (just usb interface)

Can I expect both phones to work properly so that we can easily access songs via both iphones using the BMW-supplied cable without a hitch?!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #1244
AJTrudat
Rep
Drives: 07-335i, '11 AW 335is OTW!

Just picked up a new 2010 335is last night. It has the IPod integration and iDrive. When I hook my 3g iPod touch into it, it will show the songs on the iPod, I can click on them and it looks like it's playing them, but no sound comes out. To make sure it wasn't just the iPod, I grabbed my old 5g normal iPod to try it. Same thing...the iDrive will show the songs, let me browse them, but no sound.

I've started trying to trouble shoot this myself. In my 07' 335i, I would connect my Touch and 5g via aux input. I used just the aux cable and let the 2 ipods run on their own juice (no USB connection) and the aux line doesn't feed audio either. I've gone so far as to wipe my iPod Touch and reinstall a couple of times. I've seen some people having problems with the new OS-4, but nothing like this.

Is there something I need to do in iDrive? Could I have a blown fuse or something? I wonder if maybe my aux-in is dead?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #1245
dedbeat
Rep
Drives: 14 335xi GT M-sport

hey there...

i've been posting on several forums includig bimmerfest to find out some info about the usb drive.

i have an 07 335i with logic7 nav and idrive. no ipod/usb though. is there anyway to get this retrofitted?
if so, then would i be able to use the usb to plug in a drive and play mp3? (control it from the idrive and/or steering wheel?)

thank you so much...have no idea how much i've been running around for this!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #1246
dedbeat
Rep
Drives: 14 335xi GT M-sport

:)

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #1247
Brocallion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/Saddle Brown 335ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeat View Post
i've been posting on several forums includig bimmerfest to find out some info about the usb drive.

i have an 07 335i with logic7 nav and idrive. no ipod/usb though. is there anyway to get this retrofitted?
if so, then would i be able to use the usb to plug in a drive and play mp3? (control it from the idrive and/or steering wheel?)

thank you so much...have no idea how much i've been running around for this!!

There has to be a way to retrofit the damn thing. Someone somewhere in the U.S. must have done it. The PDF file I found has installation instructions. It seems workable for someone who is techy. And it seems like everybody who doesn't have the 6FL wants to get it, myself included. Why the hell BMW wouldn't do it. BMW E92 iPod retrofit installation kit.pdf
      09-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #1248
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallion View Post
There has to be a way to retrofit the damn thing. Someone somewhere in the U.S. must have done it. The PDF file I found has installation instructions. It seems workable for someone who is techy. And it seems like everybody who doesn't have the 6FL wants to get it, myself included. Why the hell BMW wouldn't do it. Attachment 427942
I've purchased all the parts (from Europe) and am in the process of doing it right now. I've run into a snag, as the MULF-hi and TCU are supposed to be "in parallel", however, I guess in Europe this is not an issue. Clearly, the setup I have (2007, built 9/06, bluetooth, BMW assist, factory voice control, retrofitted nav) has to have both modules since there aren't enough connections on the MULF to hook it all up. The wiring diagram for the 6FL kit doesn't take this into account and I can't seem to find the correct wiring diagrams outlining this parallel install in the WDS.

So far, I've got the USB Hub in (under the front seat/floor), wired the USB/aux in plug, and routed the wiring to the TCU area. I think I will have to run another harness (part of the kit) from the CIC (power/MOST bus) to the MULF-hi to power the MULF and give it the audio connection to the bus. I have already programmed the 6FL to the VO and it shows up as a "grayed-out" USB connection.

I'll let you all know when/if it all works in the next couple of days. (my car is all torn apart from doing a bunch of mods at the same time - front PDC-done!, HID fogs-not done!)

... By the way, even though I have an early build car, I have an updated (2009) TCU and of course CIC for Nav. I heard that early cars (pre-3/07 build) may not work at all, so I may have problems still or have newer hardware that will accept this retrofit. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #1249
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It works!

Okay, well it took longer than I thought (due to other time obligations) and the car isn't completely back together yet, but the 6FL DOES WORK!

So, I still don't know how much this will help others, as my car is a special case (with the newer CIC and TCU), but nevertheless, it can be retrofitted on a US car.

I just followed the retrofit instructions to a tee, and pretty much had to act as if the car had no bluetooth, no voice control, no nav, and no mobile phone prep (even though it has all of that) - the instructions have several different paths to go down depending on options. Obviously I needed to keep all my existing options (BMW assist, bluetooth, voice control, etc...) all working, and the MULF itself does not have enough ports to run it all. I ended up using all of the parts in the kit, including running the additional power/MOST harness back to the trunk from the CIC. The kit also comes with a similar bracket to the existing TCU bracket I had, except it had studs on it to mount the MULF. Also, it replaces (by not using) your existing aux-in port and wiring in the center console - it runs a whole new set of wiring which goes with the USB port. Interestingly, the 6FL uses the MULF for USB/audio input only, and uses no other features that it is capable of. I'm sure that's what they mean by "parallel" operation.. the TCU does what it WAS doing and the MULF just adds the USB.

I bought the kit from a dealer in the U.K. (and ironically later got a bill from DHL for $16 of duty-tax for my parts..doh!) I got the MULF-hi from a dealer on ebay.

Keep in mind that this will be like retrofitting navigation - there is no retrofit path (that I know of) for dealers to program this to work. So even if you put in (or pay someone to put it in) all of the kit, US owners will have to locate someone with an Autologic tool or other BMW tool to program this to work.

I haven't played with it much, but so far, I like it!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #1250
Brocallion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/Saddle Brown 335ci

Booster4075 - That's pretty awesome that you're able to get it to work. Two thumbs up for you! Did you have to get it programed to work? Let's say if I was to attemp this and if I have all the necessary parts, how long would you say it'll take? Thanks for sharing! I luv to get it done but not sure if I have the skills to do it.
      09-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #1251
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallion View Post
Booster4075 - That's pretty awesome that you're able to get it to work. Two thumbs up for you! Did you have to get it programed to work? Let's say if I was to attemp this and if I have all the necessary parts, how long would you say it'll take? Thanks for sharing! I luv to get it done but not sure if I have the skills to do it.
Well, I don't have a time estimate yet, since I don't have my car completely together yet (thank goodness for a work vehicle) and I had the trunk all apart anyway for the front PDC retrofit. I would say a couple of hours by the time I get the driver's seat bolted back down and console together..

Programming was required for the radio to see the USB port. I programmed it myself with NCS (just adding 6FL to the VO.)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #1252
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Okay, well it took longer than I thought (due to other time obligations) and the car isn't completely back together yet, but the 6FL DOES WORK!

So, I still don't know how much this will help others, as my car is a special case (with the newer CIC and TCU), but nevertheless, it can be retrofitted on a US car.

I just followed the retrofit instructions to a tee, and pretty much had to act as if the car had no bluetooth, no voice control, no nav, and no mobile phone prep (even though it has all of that) - the instructions have several different paths to go down depending on options. Obviously I needed to keep all my existing options (BMW assist, bluetooth, voice control, etc...) all working, and the MULF itself does not have enough ports to run it all. I ended up using all of the parts in the kit, including running the additional power/MOST harness back to the trunk from the CIC. The kit also comes with a similar bracket to the existing TCU bracket I had, except it had studs on it to mount the MULF. Also, it replaces (by not using) your existing aux-in port and wiring in the center console - it runs a whole new set of wiring which goes with the USB port. Interestingly, the 6FL uses the MULF for USB/audio input only, and uses no other features that it is capable of. I'm sure that's what they mean by "parallel" operation.. the TCU does what it WAS doing and the MULF just adds the USB.

I bought the kit from a dealer in the U.K. (and ironically later got a bill from DHL for $16 of duty-tax for my parts..doh!) I got the MULF-hi from a dealer on ebay.

Keep in mind that this will be like retrofitting navigation - there is no retrofit path (that I know of) for dealers to program this to work. So even if you put in (or pay someone to put it in) all of the kit, US owners will have to locate someone with an Autologic tool or other BMW tool to program this to work.

I haven't played with it much, but so far, I like it!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #1253
lesliew
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Sports+Premium

I didn't find the 6FL retrofit too hard to do either. My bits came from a salvage car which meant that the components were already coded though. I put everything together and it worked first time.

It really is a retrofit well worth doing even if you just have the professional HU. The audio quality that you get is so far superior to anything plugged into the old Aux connector. Although now that I have the CIC with Hard Drive storage I'm playing more music directly off the built in Hard drive now, just because it loads faster.
      09-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #1254
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I'm not sure if this has been covered, but what options do I have with an 07' with nav to be able to control my 3rd gen iPod without havng to settle for the aux port?
Appreciate 0