E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB next gen plus review / pics

07-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

RB next gen plus review / pics

Hi guys,

Just want to give some feedback on my RB next gen plus build that I have put 11k miles on so far for all those people in the turbo market.

After blowing my stockies at 24 psi(90k) decided to move onto the better things in life - more power! Got in contact with rob and after some emails discussing lag vs top end we landed on the next gen plus 17t .

The rb got shipped that week and installed the other with a e40 rb treb tune loaded.

The first thing that you notice is the spool sound. You get this whistle on spool up that is otherwise subdued on the stockies. After the spoolup you get a mid rpm big hit that really pushes the car forward all the way to redline. I often find myself forgetting to shift at redline because the power does not drop like the stockies. In terms of lag, I feel that low rpm definetly has more torque it just takes about half a second longer for the car to hit peak boost on wot.

Reliability wise no issues at all. Car is daily driven like its been stolen after its warmed up. Has had a couple of drag runs and countless 3rd gear logs.
Str8 E85 jb4 mhd Trebila tune , RB Next gen Plus, BMS PI, VTT Inlets, RB outlets, vrsf down pipes, 7" vrsf IC, CP, Turbosmart bov, bms pods, NGK sparks,BL coils, Stage 3 fuelIt lpfp, m3 rear guide rods, poly rear sub frame bushes.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Rb next gen plus compared to gc lites for another car. Virtual dyno for now until i get a proper reading. VD varys from 560 to 600 whp
Attached Images

Str8 E85 jb4 mhd Trebila tune , RB Next gen Plus, BMS PI, VTT Inlets, RB outlets, vrsf down pipes, 7" vrsf IC, CP, Turbosmart bov, bms pods, NGK sparks,BL coils, Stage 3 fuelIt lpfp, m3 rear guide rods, poly rear sub frame bushes.

Last edited by mikenazz; 07-23-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

rip stockies
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Same experience here. I drive them like they are stolen, including intensive tracking. Good oil and propper warm up of the engine does a lot.
My former RB's start dying at 150k km, while beeing tracked and the car also participated in multiple multi-day endurance "rally's" across Europe.

Great investment. Enjoy!
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

That would be fun to drive.

Going to the drags anytime soon?
Made any videos of wot?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

ill get a vid soon and drags soon.

wsid is usually badly prepped but let's see.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Oh that 595hp dyno chart you posted, was that with 93 or E85?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysical
Oh that 595hp dyno chart you posted, was that with 93 or E85?
full e85 , pi . 25 psi
Appreciate 1
tsaulz0.00
      07-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Enjoy OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Pretty jealous
Mmm e85
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Nice, what made you pick the RBs over GC lites or Pure etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Pretty jealous
Mmm e85
I need you driveline mods Brule. Its just a spinning peg leg mess for me now
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Nice, what made you pick the RBs over GC lites or Pure etc..
RB next gen - I know a few locals who have installed the RB next gen family and are happy with them. They do drag the car and push the turbos with no issues so far. Robs comms are great also.

GC lite - i don't trust these as of yet as i find there is not enough long term feedback on these. They will probably do the job but would rather opt for turbos that already have positive feedback.

Pure - know a friends friend who is having a smoking issues with these.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

What's up with all the RB advertising lately? They haven't been on the scene in at least a year and now all of a sudden there multiple threads about how great RB turbos are and how the others now all have issues.

It all seems extremely sketchy.

And no I'm not associated with any company or own turbos by any BMW vendors, so I have no dog in this fight.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #15
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have seen one other rb review recently and decided to give my opinion too. How many are you talking about ?

i guess its not common to see rb reviews as much as gc / mmp .

The more information out there the better it is for you guys.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 02:06 AM   #16
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenazz
I have seen one other rb review recently and decided to give my opinion too. How many are you talking about ?

i guess its not common to see rb reviews as much as gc / mmp .

The more information out there the better it is for you guys.
I know the owner of these RBs (been in his car ect), this review is 100% legit. the car hauls with the RBs. dunno about the other reviews.

The latest posts on the "other" forums and the way RB and vtt have been carrying on have turned me off buying RBs or VTT products, otherwise these look like a solid product from what I've seen.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
1hunglow
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
What's up with all the RB advertising lately? They haven't been on the scene in at least a year and now all of a sudden there multiple threads about how great RB turbos are and how the others now all have issues.

It all seems extremely sketchy.

And no I'm not associated with any company or own turbos by any BMW vendors, so I have no dog in this fight.
Same could be said for you & 007tundra revival. Haven't seen his name around for a few years.

He hasn't been relevant for a while now too

I'm not associated with any company or vendor either.

Rb & vtt both come off as dicks, doesn't mean a positive review is out of question.
      07-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hunglow View Post
Same could be said for you & 007tundra revival. Haven't seen his name around for a few years.

Its not that I think its impossible that good reviews are out there. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied RB turbo users out there. Its just very coincidental to me that all of a sudden you see more than one RB review, which also includes a review that other vendors turbos are smoking and bad, right after VTT's announcement and public spat on a few forums. Not only that but conveniently there is a picture comparison of, hey guess what, a VTT turbo to the RB's.

Quote:

Yeah this is totally the same thing. I can see how you can make a parallel with the two.

We told the world how to create your own bucketless intank dual Walbro 450's for less than half of what these companies are charging. He then offered help to those that wanted the help creating their own for like $75 or something. I documented the crap out of my install and showed everyone how to install it themselves. So that we can make MILLIONS and rule the BMW fueling scene FO'EVAR!!!!!

Give me a f'ing break.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
1hunglow
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
Quote:

Its not that I think its impossible that good reviews are out there. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied RB turbo users out there. Its just very coincidental to me that all of a sudden you see more than one RB review, which also includes a review that other vendors turbos are smoking and bad, right after VTT's announcement and public spat on a few forums.

Quote:

Yeah this is totally the same thing. I can see how you can make a parallel with the two.

We told the world how to create your own bucketless intank dual Walbro 450's for less than half of what these companies are charging. He then offered help to those that wanted the help creating their own for like $75 or something. I documented the crap out of my install and showed everyone how to install it themselves. So that we can make MILLIONS and rule the BMW fueling scene FO'EVAR!!!!!

Give me a f'ing break.
You told the world?

3 words bud- delusions of grandeur
      07-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You told the world?

3 words bud- delusions of grandeur
Yes I am delusional. I am sure you did it years before we did and just never told anyone. right? right!

Thanks for the psychoanalysis.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC
Not only that but conveniently there is a picture comparison of, hey guess what, a VTT turbo to the RB's.
that's because he had both.

background is VTT took months to ship, in the meantime word came out on the n5x Facebook group about vtt gc turbos failing, stock turbos blew up,needed turbos in a hurry and he decided to go RB instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Lol
This is place is for turbos, fuel, skids, shiny bits etc.

Political stuff shouldn't be here.

I'll put up a rb review soon.

Look out conspiracy theory!
Appreciate 2
titium326.50