E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Non RFT recommendations??

07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
Your opinion, hopefully based on experience, but compared with the PREMIUM Bodgestone runflat crap that BMW supplies as standard they are at minimum a 100% improvement for a whole lot less cash than either with, in my opinion and experience, very good wet and dry performance....
No experience of them, just reading reviews and specs it seems the sessanta is a middle of the road, mid price tyre thats all.

More comfortable than RFT RE050 for sure, but still a cheap mid range tyre with mid range handling etc.

Saying that I bought falken FK452 this time to save some dosh in the interim before getting new wheels and thats proved a bad move too, you get what you pay for....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
No experience of them, just reading reviews and specs it seems the sessanta is a middle of the road, mid price tyre thats all.

More comfortable than RFT RE050 for sure, but still a cheap mid range tyre with mid range handling etc.

Saying that I bought falken FK452 this time to save some dosh in the interim before getting new wheels and thats proved a bad move too, you get what you pay for....
So you have no actual experience of a tyre, yet you proceed to slate them unequivocally? That seems a little strange to me.

Yes, with tyres you do tend to get what you pay for. Falken 452's are a good budget tyre. But they are a budget tyre. I have used them several times, on several vehicles, and I liked them well enough.

Have used Conti sport contact 3's before. They were decent, but I didn't like them any more than the 452's to be honest.

I'm running my second set of vreds, and I like them. Best tyre I have used so far, and I have run several different makes (Pirelli, Goodyear, Michellin etc...).

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Vreds to anyone who is looking for something better than budget tyres, but not wanting to spend Michellin money.

At the end of the day though, its up to you how much you want to spend, and that is usually determined by what type of driving you do. Personally, I don't drive like a hooligan, so don't need the best rubber money can buy. The Vreds are VERY good in the wet, as well as the dry, and as I have a torque riddled beast firing its power through the rears, and live in the UK, it was a toss up between these and Uniroyal Rainsports for me.

And come the winter, they will be swapped out for winter tyres anyway.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #25
philreid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Thanks all for the info - it's looking like I'm going for 4 vreds fitted for £430 which seems pretty good to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #26
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Aren't Vred ultrac sessanta's a cheap middling fuel economy motorway tyre?

Wouldn't put them on a wheel barrow.

No way they could even share the same room with an Ultra HP Conti 5P.....

Conti 5P or 3 all the way IMO.

Mich PS2 are prob better in the dry, but they don't do a rear 255/35/18 PS2 in NON RFT.
Absolute nonsense!

You've already acknowledged that you haven't tried them. Don't be so dismissive about a product you have no experience of.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #27
E90325iM-SPORT
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325i m-sport

Garage List
What about Falken ZE912?is this any good lads??I had fronts vreds sessanta on my e46 and it worked well.
      07-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
So you have no actual experience of a tyre, yet you proceed to slate them unequivocally? That seems a little strange to me.

Have used Conti sport contact 3's before. They were decent, but I didn't like them any more than the 452's to be honest.
You read reviews, peer comments and make a judgement - must you try every tyre in the universe before making an informed decision?

Anyway, Yes I've had 2 sets of CSC3 and they are IMO the best all round tyre out there for the 3 series. Superb unbeatable wet performance, dry performance only rivalled by the PS2, totally on a different level all round to the FK452.

The Fk452 are not budget, they are mid range, and priced almost that same as Vred Ultrac sessanta (a few £ less). So how falken can be budget and vreds 'premium' I'm not sure?

Yet again the CSC3 won the 2012 Evo all round tyre test despite being around 5 years old. The nearest Vred was 9th out of 10 BTW, Falkens not even tried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Absolute nonsense!

You've already acknowledged that you haven't tried them. Don't be so dismissive about a product you have no experience of.
Brands, you form opinions and they stick, thats what companies want to happen, unfortunately Vred don't seem to be very good at branding IMO, so I won't be spending £100's to 'try them out' and see if my view is wrong.

But having seen a few more positive comments on here about them, i'll withdraw my 'wheel barrow' comment

Last edited by doughboy; 07-17-2012 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

And so you should.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
You read reviews, peer comments and make a judgement - must you try every tyre in the universe before making an informed decision?

Anyway, Yes I've had 2 sets of CSC3 and they are IMO the best all round tyre out there for the 3 series. Superb unbeatable wet performance, dry performance only rivalled by the PS2, totally on a different level all round to the FK452.

The Fk452 are not budget, they are mid range, and priced almost that same as Vred Ultrac sessanta (a few £ less). So how falken can be budget and vreds 'premium' I'm not sure?

Yet again the CSC3 won the 2012 Evo all round tyre test despite being around 5 years old. The nearest Vred was 9th out of 10 BTW, Falkens not even tried!

Brands, you form opinions and they stick, thats what companies want to happen, unfortunately Vred don't seem to be very good at branding IMO, so I won't be spending £100's to 'try them out' and see if my view is wrong.

But having seen a few more positive comments on here about them, i'll withdraw my 'wheel barrow' comment
Very surprised by your comments on the vreds Mike!...

I've seen so many positive reviews about the vreds and on many sports cars forums...

although they fall in the budget/ mid range type because of their price bracket, they offer similar if not better performance than the re050 rft (premium) ....altho i'm comparing a mid range normal tyre v/s a premium rft....but hey ho...at the end of the day, my wallet is happy and i'm happy in the wet!...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

The Hankook's also seem to be getting very good reviews. I am very tempted to get a set of those myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #32
Bmwjc
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Can recommend ps3 purchased them from event tyres they fitted them at work probably could have got them £50 less in total but I had them fitted whilst still working and saved me time. Worth the dosh
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
ram33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post

Yes, with tyres you do tend to get what you pay for. Falken 452's are a good budget tyre. But they are a budget tyre. I have used them several times, on several vehicles, and I liked them well enough.

I'm running my second set of vreds, and I like them. Best tyre I have used so far, and I have run several different makes (Pirelli, Goodyear, Michellin etc...).

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Vreds to anyone who is looking for something better than budget tyres, but not wanting to spend Michellin money.

At the end of the day though, its up to you how much you want to spend, and that is usually determined by what type of driving you do. Personally, I don't drive like a hooligan, so don't need the best rubber money can buy. The Vreds are VERY good in the wet, as well as the dry, and as I have a torque riddled beast firing its power through the rears, and live in the UK, it was a toss up between these and Uniroyal Rainsports for me.

And come the winter, they will be swapped out for winter tyres anyway.
what pressures do you use for these.
ive just had a set of vreds on my 335d and ive noticed under hard acceleration the car seems to float and wander slightly. it didnt do this with the rft (although the traction light came on more) im using the rft pressures on the door sticker
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
xs2man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram33 View Post
what pressures do you use for these.
ive just had a set of vreds on my 335d and ive noticed under hard acceleration the car seems to float and wander slightly. it didnt do this with the rft (although the traction light came on more) im using the rft pressures on the door sticker
Ha, to be honest, I don't actually know. They were fitted to the wheels before I went to have them fitted straight to my car. I will check tomorrow and post back.

Never felt that though, but then I aint driven hard yet either.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I've been doing a bit of digging and initialy was going to go with Pirelli PZero Rossos, but after a bit of googling, it seems that they wear silly quick. The price you pay for excellent grip I guess. Instead, I reckon Michelin Pilot Sports are going to be the best option. Haven't managed to find the Vreds on BlackCircles to compare prices though..
      07-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
xs2man
Captain
Rep

Try here: http://lovetyres.com/brand

Generally seem cheaper for me.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #37
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Hi all

I would love to know where you can buy non rft PS2's. As mentioned further up, I couldn't find them when I made the switch to non rft. I went for PS3.

I have a ~400bhp touring which gets tonked whenever the opportunity and mood allows.
Covered 20k miles with them now and still loads of life left in them. A tad noisy but v good grip and traction wet or dry.

I just wish Mich supply PSS in stock 18" sizes...........

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #38
philreid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Got my vreds fitted and ... holy crap they grip amazing in the wet!

I have limited experience of different types of tyres but compared to the (pretty worn) Bridgestones and Michelins I had before it's night and day!

I bought them from www.tyremen.co.uk and had them delivered to my local fitter. He tried various suppliers of his own but they just said I should buy them online since they could never get close to the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

im running the 452's as well and love them!

235/35/19 and 265/30/19

cant fault them!
      07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #40
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreid View Post
Got my vreds fitted and ... holy crap they grip amazing in the wet!

I have limited experience of different types of tyres but compared to the (pretty worn) Bridgestones and Michelins I had before it's night and day!

I bought them from www.tyremen.co.uk and had them delivered to my local fitter. He tried various suppliers of his own but they just said I should buy them online since they could never get close to the price.
Not a bad price for 19s either
But F1 autocentres will match it and knock 10 percent off the price difference to beat it
Appreciate 0