E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help please. E92 320d been in garage for 3 weeks!!

10-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
BMaholic
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 320d m sport

Help please. E92 320d been in garage for 3 weeks!!

Hey guys I need some advice please.

I bought an "approved" used e92 320d from Cooper BMW Norwich in August. The car has been nothing but trouble. At first it seemed like it was all ok with the car but as time passed I started noticing noises from the engine and took the car to BMW to get it fixed under warranty. There were 2 noticeable noises, one from the front of the engine and another from the back. They fixed the noise in the front of the engine which was a squeak at shut down, so they changed the front belt, the little pulleys and the water pump. However, they could not fix the noise from the back of the engine because they had to get the part shipped and I had my holidays booked and was planning on driving the car to the destination. I asked them if it was ok to take the car as we were going on a 3000+ mile trip and they said yes because it was a minor fault with the damper so not really a mechanical problem, they said. I also booked to take the car there the day after I got back from the holiday to get the part replaced. So I took the car and went on holiday with my family. On the way to the destination we noticed some irregularities with the car's tracking and also noticed some more noises from the engine i.e. the squeak came back however it was now noticeable when the car was on idle as well and it was pretty loud, so loud people in cars next to us could hear it. So when we got back to the UK I decided to get the tracking sorted and went to Tyre Pros. The tracking cost me £150 because all alignments were completely off, including the rear wheels! So got that done, however the guy from Tyre Pros called me out because there was something more alarming than the tracking. He SHOWED how the inner part of the off side tyre was completely slashed which was caused by the faulty tracking. I took the car to BMW to talk to them about the noises and the tyre. I told them that the inner part of the off side tyre was slashed all the way around and the they better sort it out because the car came to me like that. The fact is that if that tyre had burst we could have easily died as at the speed we were driving it would be almost impossible to control the car and the fault would always be the drivers not BMW's. These BMW used cars are supposed to be "approved" by their technicians so how on earth has this car been approved and the car's MOT was done at BMW when we bought it!!!! At first they didn't see it and told me it was all fine with the tyre and brought my car out of the garage so I told them to bring me a flat screwdriver so I could show them the slash. It was pretty bad and the car wasn't even raised so even worse if it was as there is no weight on the tyre. They replaced the tyre under "goodwill", BULLSHIT! Anyways, they got that done and the next day I dropped the car off to the the damper replaced, at least that's what they thought the problem was. The next day they call me and tell me it is not the damper anymore but it is the crankshaft so they would need the car for a few more days. Good thing I booked the replacement car with them. They took 1 week and 1/2 to get that done so they called me to pick up the car. I went in, started the car and it sounded like there was a hammer in the engine so I called the technician and even compared the noise from a similar engine from the same year which sounded a lot better and very smooth. They asked me to keep the car there to get that noise checked. I still haven't got my car and it has now been 3 weeks and 2 days. I got a call from them yesterday and they told me the engine, gearbox and exhaust are out and they can't figure out what it is because there is a new noise which according to them is a "mechanical whistle". They've also replaced a couple of gaskets as there was an oil leak apparently.

So this is my story. I am asking for help because I honestly do not know what to do as I have never lived through anything like this. I feel like going there and just ask for my money back or for a car of same value because even if I get the car back I will always think something wrong will happen again.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Last edited by BMaholic; 10-19-2012 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

See if you can reject it mate - someone with more knowledge will be along to advise if you can and how.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 2016 DCT Austin Yellow

It sounds like your engines timining chain has signs of failing, and to replace needs taking out the engine. Thats why it took long.

If when you get it back the noise is gone and the engine runs smooth, keep the car, it will be fine.

If there is still noise coming out of the engine (not normal) then trade it for a 2009 (late) or 2010 model.

Past: F36 430d Gran Coupe M-Sport Alpine White - DMS Remap, E92 320d Crismson Red M-Sport, R56 Mini Cooper S. Mazda RX8 Type-S Japan Import, E46 320ci LCI Convertible M-Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I would put something in writing now explaining that they you will give them a chance to rectify the problems fully or you will reject the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
BMaholic
United Kingdom
Rep

So is it legal to rejct a used car? Or can it only be done with new cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaholic View Post
So is it legal to rejct a used car? Or can it only be done with new cars?
Hi pal. I had a 325d 18 months ago that was constantly in garage every other month during my year of ownership. It had two turbos, high pressure fuel pump, egr valve, two front struts, oil leaks, two software updates and parts remitted that were not fitted properly the first time. The car got traded in with 33,000 on it. I wanted rid of the car as soon as I could. I wrote to bmw about the situation and the first thing they said to do was notify the original dealer to let them know of my concerns and they log your letters and calls. Secondly if it was a recurring fault that could not ne rectified then I believe you have a case. I did not because it is always something other than the original fault. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
BMaholic
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0