E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tailgate opening problem

09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Tailgate opening problem

Took the car in for an MOT and to diagnose a turbo boost leak which has been fixed (a hose clamp and 1 1/2 hours labour to fix) and at the same time the button for the tailgate window wasn't working so asked the garage to fix (grants of Wellington).

The chap called me and asked me to come in since the work had been completed and the car was ready to take away. So travelled on the bus for 40 mins to get there and when I arrived the mechanic who worked on the boot said he had to snip the wires for the window release and short the terminals to be able to open it and then change the micro switch. Would shorting the wires harm anything?!

The problem is that when I went to use the new switch it opened but every time I went it to close it, it just tried to open again (parcel shelf also shot up like when opening the window). After this closed the boot stopped opening at all and after locking and unlocking the car several times the whole tailgate opened but not the window and that is how it remains.

Trevor at the garage (the owner) is now saying that it is another sensor in the tailgate that he thinks may be the problem and he will want to charge m for more labour. So far I am £114.50 (£42 for the switch and £72.50 for an hours labour) down and wishing I hadn't asked for it to be looked at.

Would you guys be asking for it to be fixed without any further labour charge given that they called me to say that it was ready and working or would you do something else? As ever, any help would be appreciated.

On the positive side it passed the MOT with flying colours!
Appreciate 0