E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any MTB trial riders on here?

01-18-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320D sport plus touring

Any MTB trial riders on here?

Hey everyone not sure if this thread has been covered somewhere previous (can't see anything) but looking for abit of help..

Used to do abit of riding around 10 years ago however I stopped for a reason unbeknown to me.. Anyway I kind of fancy getting back into it this year & going on a few trial rides like Cannock chase/llandegla & there's meant to be a couple of places in the Wrexham way.

Currently I have a hard tail board man comp which I have used the last 350 miles (year) to go back & to from work in the summer/warmer days, route is aprox 6.5miles in back lanes with a good few hills.

My main question is does anyone ride a fsr on a day to day basis or would this be a wasted battle.

Does anyone have any hints for getting back into riding ie should I be looking at anything specific or doing anything specific.

The bike I would like to hope to g is a specialized stumpjumper, not sold on what year or price to be going for yet that is to decided but does anyone have any views on these bikes or has anyone used one?

Cheers guys & maybe see some of you on the trails!!

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

Used to do a load of riding, DH and freeride mainly. I tried getting tying back into a few years back by building another full sus DH rig and then a hard tail for some training.
Just couldn't get back into it at all - may have been a lack of people to ride with (fairly new to the area)
However, what may help you is if you're using the bike to commute as well as some more serious Mtbing I personally would suggest sticking with a hardtail. Riding a full sus on a commute is just a waste of energy unless you get a rear shock with a lockout position.
I found hardtail a much more fun to ride and make you develop quicker as a rider (balance, control etc) but that's my opinion. A full sus will probably help you progress further but it all depends on what you wanna get out of it.
There are some awesome hard tails out there the technology has moved on sooooo much lately making them lighter stiffer stronger. If you have the skills build a bike for you and how you ride. I've always bully my bikes and you get a hell of a lot more for your money if you're happy going 2nd hand for parts and taking your time to get what you want.

I'm considering trying again this summer but we'll see.

Not sure if that helps any.
'V'
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep

Hey, cheers for the reply, yeah I was planning on keeping the hard tail as well mainly just as something for commuting & going on a ride out after work or something, then a weekend full sus for the different routes around the area. Don't want to seem restricted with what. I can do & that's why I thought a full sus. But with not doing for so long would be back to basics a guy at work swears by full sus on trials.

Is there any clothing you would recommend with regards to armour, I only ask this as 10 years ago I was all up for rattling down a hill in shorts & tee where as now I realise it hurts to deck it...

Where abouts in the uk are you? If you did get back into it & wanted a ride sometime couple of my mates ride to so could happily tag along if your local.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
'V'
Captain
Rep

I'm up in stockport/manchester.
As far as clothing and protection - if doing some proper trails then a full face helmet is a must. I eneded up using some shin/knee pads as I run flats (pedals) and they bloody hurt when they hit your shin

Was never into padding or anything like that, found it quite restrictive. First few falls really bloody hurt but once you get the hang of falling properly it's not too bad. Just protect your head.
What bikes you looking into?

Tried a specialized bighit as a starter bike (was bloody awful!)
Built up a Banshee/mythic scream - what a monster!!!
And then built an Orange Blood - very good all rounder and kinda sad to see that go, they're not that common.

Hardtail wise - started off years ago with a cannondale 'beast of the East' - awesome bike at the time.
Then built a Santa Cruz chemeleon for messing around on.

All sadly gone now. Took up climbing instead
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep

Your only 20 miles away roughly I'm near Crewe, yeah full face is on the cards & I same as you I'd be using flats! Hate being restricted so I'll learn how to jump quick I guess!!

The only bike really standing out for me is the specialized stump jumper & kind of go my heart set on one if I do some more n the coming months!

What was so bad about the bighit?

Been on a few cannondales & the difference between my boardman is night & day! Boardman is a year old and not seen any mud (yet) and doesn't seem as solid as it should do!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
'V'
Captain
Rep

Think I was probably being a little unfair about the bighit (it was one of the origional ones, the destin has changed a lot)
To be honest it was probably just me and my first venture into full sus - initially didn't like it at all. I found the bighit heavy and uncomfortable, again probably my riding position and not the bike.

Yeah Crewe isn't too far.
Here a pic on my blood - still miss it

The specialized stumpy gets some good reviews. They've been a quality company for many many years so I guess that sats a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Shaun_1990
Private First Class
Rep

nice! looks like a good build!! I'm going give it a few months before I get myself one or think of what I'm going to do, need to invest in a decent lid first though. in for a penny & all that!
Appreciate 0