E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > want to get a tune need advice, first time

04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Redshifted
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

want to get a tune need advice, first time

2007 335i

I have wanted to get a tune or chip for a while and I have some money together. I am doing this on my own and don't really know a lot about tuning or modifying the engine. The warranty was up last june. I will take it to a place and have it done but which one should I get? Do I have to change other systems right away, like the exhaust? What damage could this do to the engine, what are the risks? I want to add some HP, not a lot around 50-80 HP. I don't have a ton of money but could possibly do one thing at a time. I know it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about but I have a basic understanding, really basic. Any threads, advice, info, websites would be appreciated. I don't want to get taken so I am trying to get informed. Thanks in advance.

Beth
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshifted View Post
2007 335i

I have wanted to get a tune or chip for a while and I have some money together. I am doing this on my own and don't really know a lot about tuning or modifying the engine. The warranty was up last june. I will take it to a place and have it done but which one should I get? Do I have to change other systems right away, like the exhaust? What damage could this do to the engine, what are the risks? I want to add some HP, not a lot around 50-80 HP. I don't have a ton of money but could possibly do one thing at a time. I know it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about but I have a basic understanding, really basic. Any threads, advice, info, websites would be appreciated. I don't want to get taken so I am trying to get informed. Thanks in advance.

Beth
Wrong forums dude, post in the n54... Get Cobb its much easier to play around with.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Nobody is going to spoon-feed the information you want to you. Go on the N54 section, and just read what other ppl have, their feedback, etc. Then pick your poison.
      05-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Redshifted
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Know any "dudes" named Beth??? Thanks, I will check out N54.

Beth
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:
Know any "dudes" named Beth??? Thanks, I will check out N54.

Beth
Listen Beth, this argument is worthless without pictures lol. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Wow, rude people. I'm sorry Beth on their behalf.

As some said earlier, you are within the n54 classified engine. Which, is the twin turbo. Whereas, we are the twin scroll "single" turbo.
Anyways, someone also recommended that you get Cobb Accessport (AP). This will be an easier device for you to fiddle with and will be much more beneficial. We, n55 people, do not have this for our car yet.

With this, you will not need to get any other modifications. No exhaust, downpipe, intake, etc. But, if you do choose to do so in the future, you can change the maps accordingly. Let's say you get downpipes and dual cone intakes, then you can UP the map to take advantage of your mods. Either way this will add enough "Horsepower."
In the end you will be able to achieve 80 give or take... Depending on what else you want to throw in.

But, definitely lurk around the n54 section and see. They have a load of info. Many people will have biased opinions about Cobb, JB4, and Proceed. So, make sure you load up on a lot of info. These tunes will not be hard to install and uninstall.
If you can simply get under the hood with some tools and follow directions and YouTube videos yourself, then you're good. But, it's also nothing you can take to an Indy shop to install either. They can do it easily.

As far as harming your engine, don't worry. First of all you've got an 07. You've got plenty of other things to worry about than a tune. It won't do much to harm your car.
Make sure you check with your dealer if they're mod friendly. Otherwise, uninstalling it can be reversible pretty easily.

I've been typing this whole thing on an iPhone ha!
Hopefully this will clear some things up and sorry again for people not providing you info, but I never had an n54 myself, this is all info inhab just acquired from being on here so much.

Best of luck,
      05-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
2007 335i

Beth
I think the two most popular tunes right now for the N54 are the JB4 and COBB. Shoot me a PM and I can answer any questions you have but if you search the N54 section you will see a lot of info.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Wow, rude people. I'm sorry Beth on their behalf.

As some said earlier, you are within the n54 classified engine. Which, is the twin turbo. Whereas, we are the twin scroll "single" turbo.
Anyways, someone also recommended that you get Cobb Accessport (AP). This will be an easier device for you to fiddle with and will be much more beneficial. We, n55 people, do not have this for our car yet.

With this, you will not need to get any other modifications. No exhaust, downpipe, intake, etc. But, if you do choose to do so in the future, you can change the maps accordingly. Let's say you get downpipes and dual cone intakes, then you can UP the map to take advantage of your mods. Either way this will add enough "Horsepower."
In the end you will be able to achieve 80 give or take... Depending on what else you want to throw in.

But, definitely lurk around the n54 section and see. They have a load of info. Many people will have biased opinions about Cobb, JB4, and Proceed. So, make sure you load up on a lot of info. These tunes will not be hard to install and uninstall.
If you can simply get under the hood with some tools and follow directions and YouTube videos yourself, then you're good. But, it's also nothing you can take to an Indy shop to install either. They can do it easily.

As far as harming your engine, don't worry. First of all you've got an 07. You've got plenty of other things to worry about than a tune. It won't do much to harm your car.
Make sure you check with your dealer if they're mod friendly. Otherwise, uninstalling it can be reversible pretty easily.

I've been typing this whole thing on an iPhone ha!
Hopefully this will clear some things up and sorry again for people not providing you info, but I never had an n54 myself, this is all info inhab just acquired from being on here so much.

Best of luck,
Knight in shining armour right here
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Knight in shining armour right here